United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Jack Duckworth

Default Rafael - thoughts so far?

is anybody else concerned about his lack of discipline and positional sense? he seems to just fly into tackles and either ends up giving a foul away, or sliding on his arse into the advertising hoardings. he also gets caught out of position too much for my liking. he is, however, superb at going forward.

possible conversion to winger, or do you think he's typical of the modern full back?

just to put in the disclaimer that i don't think he's shit and he has, on the whole, done well for us when he's played. he also has lovely hair.

thoughts?

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Zorg

Thumbs down Re: Rafael - thoughts so far?

Can't believe you think he's shit.

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Ginners

Default Re: Rafael - thoughts so far?

duckers has had a mare here

History

Quality. Only 19 great attacking, great in a tackle. Very rarely is he taken the piss out off.

The lads just shit hot.

Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
is anybody else concerned about his lack of discipline and positional sense?
No, he's 19. He'll be a great player for us*

*or Madrid.

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:47 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Thought he and Nani were excellent on wednesday, they went back to basics and did the simple thing a lot of the time, Bellemy didn't get a great deal of joy out Rafael unlike at wastelands where he rang him ragged. I think he benifited from havign a winger who would track back with him though. All in all I think he's very good, maybe a bit raw but then he's only a kid.

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:47 PM
toseeunited

Thumbs up Re: Rafael - thoughts so far?

i think that considering the fact he is 19 he has done very well in the shirt, and a back 4 that has rafael and paddy in the full-back positions makes me

he's already put some bulk on imo, but if they keep buiulding him up (he's still growing as well don't forget) then he will turn into g.nev's full-time united replacement, of that i have no doubt.

the fact he got the nod ahead of big bad wesley on wednesday also shows the confidence saf has in him

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:48 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Thought he and Nani were excellent on wednesday, they went back to basics and did the simple thing a lot of the time, Bellemy didn't get a great deal of joy out Rafael unlike at wastelands where he rang him ragged. I think he benifited from havign a winger who would track back with him though. All in all I think he's very good, maybe a bit raw but then he's only a kid.
Valencia tracks back as much as anyone?

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Sloane

had a few injuries which wont have helped either. plus they both didnt even get to play first team football in brazil

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Zorg

Didn't he used to have a brother?

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:51 PM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
had a few injuries which wont have helped either. plus they both didnt even get to play first team football in brazil
Didn't even play in the Youths for a year or more once they signed for United apparently.

Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by toseeunited
i think that considering the fact he is 19 he has done very well in the shirt, and a back 4 that has rafael and paddy in the full-back positions makes me

he's already put some bulk on imo, but if they keep buiulding him up (he's still growing as well don't forget) then he will turn into g.nev's full-time united replacement, of that i have no doubt.

the fact he got the nod ahead of big bad wesley on wednesday also shows the confidence saf has in him
good post. agreed about him and paddy

The Return of JC

Thumbs up Re: Rafael - thoughts so far?

His positional sense is poor (now) and he does slide a little recklessly into tackles (now), but getting these gremlins out of his game are all part of his development and typical of young players. They're mistakes (sometimes very costly) that need to be made for him to learn. And learn he will. They're worth it for the player he'll become.
He's improving all the time and I thought he was excellent on Wednesday. Far more disciplined and switched on against Bellamy and gave as good as he got.

As for raw talent, the lad is a star in the making. Technically superb (Brazilian trade mark..) and so comfortable on the ball.

I like his attitude too. He can dish it out and doesn't go hiding. He's got the character to succeed and I'll be very surprised if he isn't our nailed-on regular right within the next 12-18 months.

He's great fun to watch too. Exciting and a character. The game needs people like him. I'm never unhappy to see his name on the teamsheet.

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:52 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
duckers has had a mare here

He is still learning his trade and I expect him to become the new Mike duxbury

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone

who me or rafael?

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone

Duckers or Rafael?

Edit: Grrr Duckers

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Duckers or Rafael?
koppas, is that you?

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:55 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
who me or rafael?
probably both tbh him and Fabio will become stars at united. I loved the way he celebrated the other week when he scored. I can see him making right back his own

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Stickman

Frightening potential - just needs to concentrate more but it should come when you think he's only 19 which is an absolutely freshman in the defending sense.

Unread 29-01-2010, 02:57 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by History
Valencia tracks back as much as anyone?
He does, I was thinking more of when he broke through last season and had Ronaldo in front of him.
Closed Thread