United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 06-05-2023, 10:46 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
glad everyone can see it tbh.
Fair play Dunk, you’ve been banging this drum for a while, and you were right.

Same as about the lack of goals in the team.

Unread 06-05-2023, 10:48 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Fair play Dunk, you’ve been banging this drum for a while, and you were right.
Has he?

He’s kept that quiet.

Unread 06-05-2023, 11:00 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Has he?

He’s kept that quiet.
Don’t like to mention it tbh

Unread 06-05-2023, 12:56 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
At least you’ve finally realised Shaw is a world class player.
Only problem is he has moments were he has brain-farts & thinks he's a basketball player, and the sad thing is before his game-changing moment, he had been having a reasonably good game, but hopfuly, ETH will have given, Shaw his own version of the hairdryer treatment, when he got back into that dressing room & as a result he will make sure he don't do anything as stupid as that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Is there some way we could stop everything just going to shit after half time every single week?
Yes(but sadly it will only happen in our deams), ETH needs to appoint, Roy Keane as one of coaches & our players would'nt dare have 45 minutes of switching-off each game!

Unread 06-05-2023, 05:46 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
For every save he makes which other keepers wouldn’t do (and there are some, although definitely not against Brighton) there’s just as many he lets in that he shouldn’t. Maybe at his peak it was different, but feels like he’s pretty much breaking even in that regard these days.

Regardless, if we could play properly at the back, we would create more chances so the missed ones wouldn’t be as important, and we would concede less chances to the opposition. Not sure how anyone could argue that wouldn’t be a good thing given the way we’ve looked recently
I think that’s fair. My point was that there was a lot wrong in that 2nd half against Brighton but I’m struggling to see how anyone can put de Gea as being the biggest problem.

I genuinely believe that a proper striker scoring some of the easier chances we miss would take pressure off the rest of the team and would also improve de gea - as his weaknesses (and that of the rest of the team wouldn’t be so acute). City’s keeper is rarely stressed, but on the rare occasion he is, he often £#%&!s up. So too Allison.

I think de Gea has some glaring weaknesses - and they’re getting worse/more exposed with the playing out from the back directive. If we are determined to play it out from the back then we need a keeper who has better distribution, and players who can receive the ball under pressure and remain cool. Martinez has made a huge difference to this team because when he receives the ball under pressure (which every prem defender does) he doesn’t shit his load - he then sets something up too. That’s been missing from united since Rio/vidic. But I 100% accept that de Gea never sets anything up and often plays poor balls.

Basically I just don’t think getting rid of dea Gea is going to be the nirvana people think it will be - if everyone in defence was like martinez, you probably wouldn’t recognise the issues you do in the same way. If we scored our chances, I suspect you wouldn’t either. Would a new keeper make those issues go away? Nah.

There’s a huge agenda against de Gea - some of it justified, some of it not imo. And I think the proportion/weighting is slight off at times. Ie or well off in Ziggy’s post.

I really hope we get rid just to move on from the narrative that’s been embedded. I’m not defending de Gea as such - I’m defending where I think the biggest issues are. That isn’t to say there are no issues with him at all.

Unread 06-05-2023, 05:51 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
I think that’s fair. My point was that there was a lot wrong in that 2nd half against Brighton but I’m struggling to see how anyone can put de Gea as being the biggest problem.

I genuinely believe that a proper striker scoring some of the easier chances we miss would take pressure off the rest of the team and would also improve de gea - as his weaknesses (and that of the rest of the team wouldn’t be so acute). City’s keeper is rarely stressed, but on the rare occasion he is, he often £#%&!s up. So too Allison.

I think de Gea has some glaring weaknesses - and they’re getting worse/more exposed with the playing out from the back directive. If we are determined to play it out from the back then we need a keeper who has better distribution, and players who can receive the ball under pressure and remain cool. Martinez has made a huge difference to this team because when he receives the ball under pressure (which every prem defender does) he doesn’t shit his load - he then sets something up too. That’s been missing from united since Rio/vidic. But I 100% accept that de Gea never sets anything up and often plays poor balls.

Basically I just don’t think getting rid of dea Gea is going to be the nirvana people think it will be - if everyone in defence was like martinez, you probably wouldn’t recognise the issues you do in the same way. If we scored our chances, I suspect you wouldn’t either. Would a new keeper make those issues go away? Nah.

There’s a huge agenda against de Gea - some of it justified, some of it not imo. And I think the proportion/weighting is slight off at times. Ie or well off in Ziggy’s post.

I really hope we get rid just to move on from the narrative that’s been embedded. I’m not defending de Gea as such - I’m defending where I think the biggest issues are. That isn’t to say there are no issues with him at all.
I’d agree with this. Definitely think de Gea’s time here is coming to an end, but I’d say the biggest issue with our team over the past few seasons has been the defenders. For the most part, a couple of freak games aside, when we’ve had Martinez and Varane playing at the back we’ve looked a lot better and more solid as a team.

Maguire was the biggest issue imo.

Unread 06-05-2023, 06:04 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I’d agree with this. Definitely think de Gea’s time here is coming to an end, but I’d say the biggest issue with our team over the past few seasons has been the defenders. For the most part, a couple of freak games aside, when we’ve had Martinez and Varane playing at the back we’ve looked a lot better and more solid as a team.

Maguire was the biggest issue imo.
100%. De Gea is really weak in some key areas - but Maguire exposes and emphasises everyone’s weaknesses. Shaw is awful when Maguire plays but is a decent player when he doesn’t. And you can say the same for everyone in our defence. Awb’s renaissance has coincided with Maguire’s removal. Maguire is a watermark for unnerving the entire team. I think that’s unjustified at times but it’s unfortunately just what happens when he plays. Put Maguire in-front of ederson and let’s see what happens.

Let’s get rid of de Gea - I’m 100% for us improving every area of our team - but you’ll see bigger improvements with changes in other areas imo.

Unread 07-05-2023, 08:58 AM
Denis Irwell

The occasional top save he makes, over and above normal, merely offsets his #@&%!-ups. Then there’s his terror of leaving his line, which means every high ball in the area is a major threat. Never mind his distribution

Unread 07-05-2023, 09:28 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
The occasional top save he makes, over and above normal, merely offsets his #@&%!-ups. Then there’s his terror of leaving his line, which means every high ball in the area is a major threat. Never mind his distribution
His distribution stops the team playing the way ETH wants. As a goal keeper saving goals. He is decent.

As someone in the modern game where team press more, he is a hinderance. With the wages he is on it’s even more of a piss take. He’s on wages where you expect the best GK in the world

He will get binned in the summer . Need new owners whoever they may be in fast

Unread 07-05-2023, 09:51 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
His distribution stops the team playing the way ETH wants. As a goal keeper saving goals. He is decent.

As someone in the modern game where team press more, he is a hinderance. With the wages he is on it’s even more of a piss take. He’s on wages where you expect the best GK in the world

He will get binned in the summer . Need new owners whoever they may be in fast

Talking of piss take.. tedious doesn’t begin to describe these revolting, arrogant, leeching @#%&!s. Now at the stage where I don’t care who, between Qatar or Jim

Unread 07-05-2023, 02:31 PM
BigJim

De Gea shines in a shit team. To good teams he's a hindrance.

Unread 07-05-2023, 02:44 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
De Gea shines in a shit team. To good teams he's a hindrance.
Probably why he’s had such an amazing career at United.

Unread 07-05-2023, 03:01 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
This

Nearly every cross into our box is £#%&!ing heart stopping in case the opponent gets something on it or Shaw thinks professional suicide is a bit of a laugh

Unread 07-05-2023, 03:09 PM
Dasilvatwins

I think the best way to sum him up. For all his ability , he has been out of the Spain team for the past few years

Unread 07-05-2023, 03:22 PM
jem

no one will miss de gea if/when we get a better keeper.

he's about 11th on the list of blame v brighton. 12th, if you count the ref.

Unread 07-05-2023, 03:59 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
I think the best way to sum him up. For all his ability , he has been out of the Spain team for the past few years
Yeah, Scholes couldn’t get a game for England. There’s absolutely no connection other than there being a preferred keeper in his place.

Unread 07-05-2023, 04:02 PM
AK14

Scholes in nets would have been a sight

Though he would have made a top ball playing keeper tbf.

Unread 07-05-2023, 04:07 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Yeah, Scholes couldn’t get a game for England. There’s absolutely no connection other than there being a preferred keeper in his place.
3 keepers ahead of him in his place. Scholes was asked by two different managers to come out of retirement.

If a person can’t make their national team squad then they clearly aren’t good enough for Man Utd. It’s different if they were old or retired or had some issue with the FA.

He cannot make the squad when there is a slot for 3 keepers based on his ability

If he was good enough he would be making the squads no? Or does the national team manager leave him out for shits and giggles and picks three other keepers

Unread 07-05-2023, 04:10 PM
believe

Never mind.

Unread 07-05-2023, 05:12 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Never mind.

Pretty embarrassing getting shut down like that tbf