United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:08 PM
PaulParkers

Football Scholes has done a Cantona

His return has been the turning point this season. For all the moaning and groaning about how shit we are, how crap the league is and how shit we've been in Europe, you don't win leagues without being a decent side.

Scholes' return to the side has meant we got that touch of quality in the middle of the park. Someone who has a unbelievable ability to dictate a game from deep, keep the ball ticking over and create things. We've been a much more confident and assured side since he's come back because he keeps the ball so well. His goals have been the icing in the cake.

You really can't underestimate the importance of his return on this league campaign. If we win it, It will be largely down to Paul Scholes as far as I'm concerned.

Truly one of the greatest players ever, still.

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Stickman

I also happen to think his return has been integral to our good form, we wouldnt be where we are without him, not a chance.

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:15 PM
The Return of JC

Nice and fresh too. Helps.

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Neo

He is irreplaceable.

Still one of the top 5 midfielders in Europe IMO.

Absolutely incredible since he's come back. Shame on the 'Reds' that were unhappy with his return.

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:17 PM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I also happen to think his return has been integral to our good form, we wouldnt be where we are without him, not a chance.
Absolutely.

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:17 PM
dunk

Give him the first few months of next season off too, make sure he's fresh from Christmas onwards

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Ethers

£#%&!ing hell, thread title had me worried for a minute there

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:23 PM
irk

like a new signing nqat

Unread 08-04-2012, 05:38 PM
PaulParkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blazini
£#%&!ing hell, thread title had me worried for a minute there

Unread 08-04-2012, 06:10 PM
borsuk

best player i've ever seen. £#%&!ing genius he is.

Unread 08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
best player i've ever seen. £#%&!ing genius he is.
hmmm

Scholes or Xavi for me

Scholes is my favourite ever player but Scholes and Xavi are equally good imho motwyw

Unread 08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Give him the first few months of next season off too, make sure he's fresh from Christmas onwards
Yep

Top idea tbf

Unread 08-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
hmmm

Scholes or Xavi for me

Scholes is my favourite ever player but Scholes and Xavi are equally good imho motwyw
Xavi can't shoot, head or spray 70 yard, inch-perfect peaches like Scholesy can.

Xavi is my favourite non-United player, but Scholesy is a better all-round player IMO. Xavi agrees with me too.

Unread 08-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Xavi can't shoot, head or spray 70 yard, inch-perfect peaches like Scholesy can.

Xavi is my favourite non-United player, but Scholesy is a better all-round player IMO. Xavi agrees with me too.

i'd love to see the interview of Xavi baing asked who the best midfielder is and he says

"It's me you £#%&!ing english pig-dog cretin"

Unread 08-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Agent Dale Cooper

I think we all thought he was retiring too early. The likes of Cisse and Siggurdson are rightly being heralded as some of the best signings of the season, but Scholes pips them all for me. It was just a morale boost him coming back, never mind his quality. He's looked fresher than he has in years.

If I was England manager (the job's still open, I've not given up hope yet...) I'd be begging for him to play at the Euros. But no doubt we'll yet again eschew players who retain possession.

Providing we finally sign a creative midfielder to share the load then I think he's still got another season to offer.

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Jerry the Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Flix

He's always available to receive the ball, which makes it easy for everybody else and helps us retain possession. He just keeps it moving until the we can work an opening. Absolute genius and a £#%&!ing legend - and still strangely underrated by a lot of people that claim to understand football.

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:06 PM
borsuk

pep knows his onions

Quote:
Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Marcello Lippi : "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. Scholes is a player I have always liked, because he combines great talent and technical ability with mobility, determination and a superb shot. He is an all-round midfielder who possesses character and quality in abundance. In my opinion, he's been one of the most important players for United under Sir Alex."

Gordon Strachan : "Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You'd probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb."

Veron while at Chelsea being asked in an interview who's the best english player : "Paul Scholes."

Peter Schmeichel : "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. His reading of the game is unsurpassed.He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Laurent Blanc : "Scholes is the best English player. Intelligence, technique, strength... all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he could do on the training field. Phew!"

David Beckham said that, among his teammates at Real Madrid, which included Zinedine Zidane, Raúl, Ronaldo, Luís Figo and Roberto Carlos, Scholes was the most admired opponent : "He's always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me 'what's he like'? They respect him as a footballer, and to have that respect from some of those players is great."

Rio Ferdinand : "For me, it's Paul Scholes. He'll do ridiculous things in training like say, "You see that tree over there?" - it'll be 40 yards away - "I'm going to hit it". And he'll do it. Everyone at the club considers him the best."

Sir Alex Ferguson : "Very few players can do that, but Scholes is one of them - and I knew he was one of them. That's why, without question, I think Paul Scholes is the best player in England. He's got the best skills, the best brain. No one can match him."

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry the Berry
If you think Xavi can strike a ball as good as Scholes can then you're the one who needs the specs you clueless @#%&!.

For a small guy, the Prince has quality heading ability too, as proven by the countless headers he's scored down the years.

Xavi is the best midfielder in the world atm, and can dictate a game better than anyone, but his long-range passing ability is another part of his game that isn't quite as good as Scholes'.

Unread 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
pep knows his onions

Guardiola on Scholes - YouTube

That's the difference isn't it?

We have lots of journos and media tools (non-player ones) telling us who is good, great & fantastic.

Ask the worlds to players themselves - that kind of testimony carries all the weight that is needed.
If your peers think you are the best - you are.
Closed Thread