United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 21-04-2023, 10:52 PM
lenin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
To be fair to Maguire, if the expectation is for any centre back to be almost dummying attackers as the last man from the pass out from the goalkeeper then it’s a pass that we should never be making.
Absolutely this. The fact that Martinez can pull it off says more about Martinez than anything. Imagine Maguire trying to dummy it through his own legs, there’s no way that isn’t ending with a pratfall and a Sevilla goal.

De Gea saw Maguire flapping in the first 15 mins vs. Forest. There’s no way as an experienced player he should be playing that pass at that point in the game. Totally Braindead and it’s about the 15th time he’s done it.

Unread 21-04-2023, 11:47 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenin
Absolutely this. The fact that Martinez can pull it off says more about Martinez than anything. Imagine Maguire trying to dummy it through his own legs, there’s no way that isn’t ending with a pratfall and a Sevilla goal.

De Gea saw Maguire flapping in the first 15 mins vs. Forest. There’s no way as an experienced player he should be playing that pass at that point in the game. Totally Braindead and it’s about the 15th time he’s done it.
You’d be better sending a midfielder in to receive that pass ffs

Unread 22-04-2023, 06:43 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Tbf to De Gea, which i dont like doing, Maguire was asking for the ball back. Its a split second and if your captain and cb wants the ball there , yes theres an argument he shoukd still see the better pass to AWb but its understandable he just complies and rolls it back to him

Unread 22-04-2023, 07:09 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Tbf to De Gea, which i dont like doing, Maguire was asking for the ball back. Its a split second and if your captain and cb wants the ball there , yes theres an argument he shoukd still see the better pass to AWb but its understandable he just complies and rolls it back to him
You could apply that logic to any player in any instance - but usually the player passing the ball has the nouse to not give it to whoever because he's almost certain to lose it/a goal.

Unread 22-04-2023, 09:33 AM
armchair

If De Gea never passed to Maguire again, I don't think there would be any negative consequences.

Unread 22-04-2023, 10:18 AM
anxious63

De Gea must go end of

Unread 22-04-2023, 11:16 AM
AK14

Being a massive @#%&! and complying isn’t a trait I want in keeper tbh.

Maguire is shit on the ball at the best of times and was facing our own goal, just because he was asking for it doesn’t mean he should have received it. De Gea had the full sight of what was in front of him and still decided that was the best pass to make.

How many times do you see a player call for a ball but not receive it because the player passing the ball can see the opposition closing them down, it’s like multiple times in a game.

That goal was down to Dave.

Unread 22-04-2023, 11:32 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Being a massive @#%&! and complying isn’t a trait I want in keeper tbh.

Maguire is shit on the ball at the best of times and was facing our own goal, just because he was asking for it doesn’t mean he should have received it. De Gea had the full sight of what was in front of him and still decided that was the best pass to make.

How many times do you see a player call for a ball but not receive it because the player passing the ball can see the opposition closing them down, it’s like multiple times in a game.

That goal was down to Dave.
They’re both at fault. It also neatly sums up their shortcomings.

De Gea is a coward who just wants rid of the ball and can’t distribute it properly. Maguire is a clumsy, unaware dope who doesn’t have the technical ability to deal with anything remotely difficult.

De Gea should never have passed it and Maguire should still be able to deal with it. Both are woefully inadequate and need moving on asap

Unread 22-04-2023, 11:58 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
They’re both at fault. It also neatly sums up their shortcomings.

De Gea is a coward who just wants rid of the ball and can’t distribute it properly. Maguire is a clumsy, unaware dope who doesn’t have the technical ability to deal with anything remotely difficult.

De Gea should never have passed it and Maguire should still be able to deal with it. Both are woefully inadequate and need moving on asap
Nope

All on de gea

Just because a player is asking for a pass doesn’t mean he has to receive it. De Gea has full sight of the pitch, just £#%&!ing clear the ball. It’s the not the first time he’s done it this season either and I’m pretty sure not every time the pass was to Slab, he dropped Eriksen in it with a similar pass against Brentford iirc?

Agree both need moving on and along with Martial should be gone on the first day the window opens.

Unread 22-04-2023, 11:58 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Nope

All on de gea

Just because a player is asking for a pass doesn’t mean he has to receive it. De Gea has full sight of the pitch, just £#%&!ing clear the ball. It’s the not the first time he’s done it this season either and I’m pretty sure not every time the pass was to Slab, he dropped Eriksen in it with a similar pass against Brentford iirc?
I never said he should receive it

Eriksen should have done better too.

Martinez showing here how it can be dealt with if you’re not a panicking spaz.

In all three instances. De Gea is a dick for playing the pass, but not every incident had tto be entirely one person’s fault. It’s mainly de gea, but it’s not like the only option is to then gift the opposition the ball. Martinez shows that it can be dealt with and that Eriksen and Maguire could have done better.

Unread 22-04-2023, 12:08 PM
AK14

Quote:
I never said he should receive it

Eriksen should have done better too.

Martinez showing here how it can be dealt with if you’re not a panicking spaz.

https://twitter.com/shush123456789a/...aSbh7vgQsN2lEQ

In all three instances. De Gea is a dick for playing the pass, but not every incident had tto be entirely one person’s fault. It’s mainly de gea, but it’s not like the only option is to then gift the opposition the ball. Martinez shows that it can be dealt with and that Eriksen and Maguire could have done better.
Which is why it’s all his fault

He has the full sight of what’s happening and can see if the pass is on or not, whether the player calls for the ball or not is irrelevant. It’s his mistake.

Unread 22-04-2023, 12:19 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Which is why it’s all his fault

He has the full sight of what’s happening and can see if the pass is on or not, whether the player calls for the ball or not is irrelevant. It’s his mistake.
Why do you keep referencing the player calling for it? I’m not defending that. I’m saying De Gea shouldn’t play the pass. It starts with him and it is primarily his fault.

Agreed.

From there, there are mistakes from the player receiving the ball. Unless you think there’s literally nothing else Maguire could have done better? There clearly is, as Martinez shows. This is why we signed Martinez and why we want rid of Maguire.

It’s mainly de geas fault AND Maguire can and should be better.

Unread 22-04-2023, 12:28 PM
AK14

Quote:
Why do you keep referencing the player calling for it? I’m not defending that. I’m saying De Gea shouldn’t play the pass. It starts with him and it is primarily his fault.

Agreed.

From there, there are mistakes from the player receiving the ball. Unless you think there’s literally nothing else Maguire could have done better? There clearly is, as Martinez shows. This is why we signed Martinez and why we want rid of Maguire.

It’s mainly de geas fault AND Maguire can and should be better.
Because many others have…

Maguire is shit

It was Dave’s fault

It’s a Saturday

Move on.

Unread 22-04-2023, 12:33 PM
NedKelly

Blame should be split three ways; De Gea for the pass, Maguire for the embarrassing lack of composure, and Martial just because. The Tragic Trio.

Unread 22-04-2023, 12:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Because many others have…

Maguire is shit

It was Dave’s fault

It’s a Saturday

Move on.
Something we can all definitely all agree on.

Have a good ‘un.

Unread 22-04-2023, 12:46 PM
BigJim

What's worrying is that, for all our advances this year, we still have the propensity to go absolutely awol in certain big games.

Unread 22-04-2023, 12:48 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Blame should be split three ways; De Gea for the pass, Maguire for the embarrassing lack of composure, and Martial just because. The Tragic Trio.
And Sancho makes it the Questionable Quartet