United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Amish Mash

Default The plot thickens

Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos has admitted that he is flattered by Manchester United's reported interest.

On Thursday, it was claimed that United were monitoring the Spain international's situation at the Bernabeu as manager Sir Alex Ferguson lines up a long-term replacement for Gary Neville.

Ramos' brother, Rene, moved to play down the speculation, and the 22-year-old right-back has reiterated those comments, insisting he is happy with his current deal at Real.

"It is a good sign that such big teams are interested in me, but not I have no ideas about that (a transfer)," Ramos told Marca.

Meeting

"I have a good contract with Madrid and I am focussed on the Spanish team. When the European Championships finish we can see what happens."

Ramos' agent, Pedro Bravo, did admit that reports of him having recently travelled to England were true, but did not reveal whether he had met with United officials.

"One thing I would ask is what clubs are not interested in a player like Sergio Ramos?" Bravo said.

"It is true that on Monday I was in England. I have a good relationship with Manchester United."

Unread 13-06-2008, 10:57 AM
dodger

£60 million plus Ramos. Let's talk.

Unread 13-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Paul Mcgrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
£60 million plus Ramos. Let's talk.
And Robinho. If he has to go, the original offer of 60m plus Robinho and Ramos is what we will take.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Thiago

Wow, i'm surprised he didn't flat out deny he was leaving Madrid.

If Ronaldo is dumb enough to want to leave United over money, then we really should try and get Ramos in as part of the deal.

What would be a fair deal if Ramos was included? £50m? £60m? Is there really anything such as a fair deal when it comes to selling the most marketable and best player in the business?

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:05 AM
El Calafate

Thumbs up The first £100m player

Ronaldo is worth £100m, imo.

at least £50m as a player + another £50m in marketing etc.....etc.

nft.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:06 AM
El Calafate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiago

If Ronaldo is dumb enough to want to leave United over money, then we really should try and get Ramos in as part of the deal.

What would be a fair deal if Ramos was included? £50m? £60m? Is there really anything such as a fair deal when it comes to selling the most marketable and best player in the business?

he's probably just after an improved contract. nft.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:14 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

Whilst he is a big marketable player, I don't think he is as big as Beckham was.

And Ramos as a full back would be good. If we're doing exchanges in the deal though, I'd want Sniedjer as well.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:17 AM
armchair

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Calafate
Ronaldo is worth £100m, imo.

at least £50m as a player + another £50m in marketing etc.....etc.

nft.
Think he's worth a bit more in marketing but £100m is how much he should cost.

He'll become so self-indulgent over there too. Bad football move for him.

Hopefully United get Real early in europe so ronnie can concentrate on la liga after christmas.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:18 AM
MUFC One Love

It really is looking as though he is going, doesn't it? I didn't think United would sell but now I'd be surprised to see him here next season.

Such a shame to, could have been up there as one of the all time greats.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
It really is looking as though he is going, doesn't it? I didn't think United would sell but now I'd be surprised to see him here next season.

He is off by all accounts mate, thing is he wants to go. What can you do?

Madrid are not as good a side as us nor do they play a system that suits Ronaldo. We abolished the traditional 4-4-2 to ensure that we got the best out of him (Portugal play in a similar manner). I'm gutted but if a player wants to go there is not much you can do, even United.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Thiago

Quote:

Does it? What's changed since a week ago?

Agree with you though, if he does go...what a great opportunity missed. We'll miss him a lot, possibly not retain our league crown but he will miss us even more.

If he doesn't get a good start then trust me, with the wages he is likely to be on if he goes there, the ego's that fly around in Madrid, their stupid fickle fans and the boardroom politics will make things very difficult for him.

And im almost certain he'll have a bad start, just look at him for his country. Not even half the player he is at United and that's purely because the side isn't built around him. Just like it won't be at Madrid.

They won't care too much in the long run though, they'll sell shitloads of shirts and other merchandise, he'll bang in a few freekicks and tap ins and they'll say it was a great deal.

I'd be very surprised if Ronaldo had a good first season at Madrid, he will no longer have the same support he had at United from players and staff. We are a family club unlike Madrid and characters like Ronaldo need stuff like that. He'd just be another Joaquin now, had he joined Madrid in 2006.

Believe me, if he goes this summer its one of the biggest betrayals in football, without us he would simply not be who he is.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Thiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
He is off by all accounts mate, thing is he wants to go. What can you do?

Madrid are not as good a side as us nor do they play a system that suits Ronaldo. We abolished the traditional 4-4-2 to ensure that we got the best out of him (Portugal play in a similar manner). I'm gutted but if a player wants to go there is not much you can do, even United.
Is it about the money or does he just want to go there no matter what?

Serious @#%&! if he goes, would cancel out what he's done in the last 2 years. We've put in 3 years of good work with this guy to put him on top of the world, he's still only 23 and after only 2 years of real consistency he wants to £#%&! us off?

It just doesn't make sense and is so bizarre - which is why I refuse to believe it could be true. One thing is for real though, he is obviously money driven....could easily be an excuse though. Just to get out of the club.

£#%&! sake, why can't his agent just say something if he's shutting up.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:30 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Does it? What's changed since a week ago?

Agree with you though, if he does go...what a great opportunity missed. We'll miss him a lot, possibly not retain our league crown but he will miss us even more.

If he doesn't get a good start then trust me, with the wages he is likely to be on if he goes there, the ego's that fly around in Madrid, their stupid fickle fans and the boardroom politics will make things very difficult for him.

And im almost certain he'll have a bad start, just look at him for his country. Not even half the player he is at United and that's purely because the side isn't built around him. Just like it won't be at Madrid.

They won't care too much in the long run though, they'll sell shitloads of shirts and other merchandise, he'll bang in a few freekicks and tap ins and they'll say it was a great deal.

I'd be very surprised if Ronaldo had a good first season at Madrid, he will no longer have the same support he had at United from players and staff. We are a family club unlike Madrid and characters like Ronaldo need stuff like that. He'd just be another Joaquin now, had he joined Madrid in 2006.

Believe me, if he goes this summer its one of the biggest betrayals in football, without us he would simply not be who he is.
Let's be honest mate, it's looking likely he is going.

And as for league, it wont effect whether we win it or not. Gonna be tough next season anyway 3 in a row is very hard.

We have to buy right though if he leaves. With the amount of money we should do. If anything we could be even stronger with the quality of players we can bring in. 3 very good players brought in to replace 1.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:32 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:

Serious @#%&! if he goes, would cancel out what he's done in the last 2 years. We've put in 3 years of good work with this guy to put him on top of the world, he's still only 23 and after only 2 years of real consistency he wants to £#%&! us off?

It just doesn't make sense and is so bizarre - which is why I refuse to believe it could be true. One thing is for real though, he is obviously money driven....could easily be an excuse though. Just to get out of the club.

It is bizarre isn't it? You'd think he'd stay for another year or 2. He seems adamant he wants out now though, I don't understand the attraction of Madrid now he's 23 ffs. Defending the league and European Cup, playing for the Super Cup, the World Club Cup. Weird. Makes you think he is a right @#%&!.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Thiago

Quote:
Let's be honest mate, it's looking likely he is going.

And as for league, it wont effect whether we win it or not. Gonna be tough next season anyway 3 in a row is very hard.

We have to buy right though if he leaves. With the amount of money we should do. If anything we could be even stronger with the quality of players we can bring in. 3 very good players brought in to replace 1.
TBH, all the doom on here has made me almost expect him to go. It's just so strange though, why throw away something as good as this? When you're only 23 years old...

Foolish little boy, £#%&! being badly advised...it's purely down to him. Mendes probably wants more money for him and his client at United but it would be bad for him if Ronaldo went to Spain as he'd lose a bit of power when representing the kid. If he goes, it's purely down to Ronaldo and he'd be a major @#%&! if he went now.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

I really don't know. I am assuming that it is the prestige of playing for Madrid and the idea of playing in Spain. I don't think money is the real issue here tbh.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:34 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
TBH, all the doom on here has made me almost expect him to go. It's just so strange though, why throw away something as good as this? When you're only 23 years old...

Foolish little boy, £#%&! being badly advised...it's purely down to him. Mendes probably wants more money for him and his client at United but it would be bad for him if Ronaldo went to Spain as he'd lose a bit of power when representing the kid. If he goes, it's purely down to Ronaldo and he'd be a major @#%&! if he went now.
I didn't think he'd go this summer, I expected him to have some fun and games then announce he is staying. But it is looking likely he's off now. Uniteds responses have made me think that, they seem a bit unsettled by it. If we wasn't arsed then you'd think United know they're keeping him.

Unread 13-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Thiago

Quote:
I really don't know. I am assuming that it is the prestige of playing for Madrid and the idea of playing in Spain. I don't think money is the real issue here tbh.
If this is true...then the contract stuff was just an excuse. It was too strange anyway, to pressure the club over a new contract, when you signed for 5 years only a year back.

Ah well, the club seem adamant he isn't going anywhere though, hopefully this does turn out like the Kaka story and he gets another contract after only a year since his last extension. Just to shut him up for a couple of years.

Quote:
I didn't think he'd go this summer, I expected him to have some fun and games then announce he is staying. But it is looking likely he's off now. Uniteds responses have made me think that, they seem a bit unsettled by it. If we wasn't arsed then you'd think United know they're keeping him.
Not sure about that, i'd be concerned if the club didn't say anything at all.

Do you really think they'd report Madrid to FIFA if they wanted to do business? I don't think so.

Unread 13-06-2008, 12:00 PM
borsuk

marca is reporting this? wow, it's almost as if they were trying to set up a deal for a united player who isn't for sale. didn't see this coming.

Unread 13-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Don't think he'd get as much joy as he does with Rooney and Tevez dragging the back four out of position and opening holes up for him. He'll play well and he'll get the accolades but I doubt he'll ever be as successful there as he is at United.
Closed Thread