Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-12-2012, 02:30 AM
M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark
more likely to come out as gay than come out for a cross
£#%&!in Dracula...

Why cant 'keepers come and collect corners like they used to? They can handle the ball ?? £#%&!in hell...

Grimson, where are you, pls explain ??

Linde pissed me right off today

Unread 02-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13

Why cant 'keepers come and collect corners like they used to? They can handle the ball ?? £#%&!in hell...

Grimson, where are you, pls explain ??
Few reasons.

One is that nobody (apart from Giggs) just lofts/floats corners in now. They're whipped in with pace. This means that from a standing position, you're only going to be able to cover a few yards. With an inswinger you have to start bang on your line, so you won't be able to get even to the edge of the 6-yard-box if the ball has any pace on it.

The second is that teams actively try to block the keeper off from coming for the ball now. Even a big keeper struggles if there are bodies in the way. The lighter ball also moves more in the air, making it harder to judge.

Finally, I just think it's an attitude thing. Goalkeeping has become more defensively minded, playing not to make mistakes. Coming for a cross is a risk; staying on your line and shouting 'away' shifts the responsibility and means nobody can call you 'dodgy'. Jens Lehman was the last of a long line of eccentric risk-takers, and not coincidentally also the last who truly tried to dominate his box.

Unread 02-12-2012, 03:59 AM
M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Few reasons.

One is that nobody (apart from Giggs) just lofts/floats corners in now. They're whipped in with pace. This means that from a standing position, you're only going to be able to cover a few yards. With an inswinger you have to start bang on your line, so you won't be able to get even to the edge of the 6-yard-box if the ball has any pace on it.

The second is that teams actively try to block the keeper off from coming for the ball now. Even a big keeper struggles if there are bodies in the way. The lighter ball also moves more in the air, making it harder to judge.

Finally, I just think it's an attitude thing. Goalkeeping has become more defensively minded, playing not to make mistakes. Coming for a cross is a risk; staying on your line and shouting 'away' shifts the responsibility and means nobody can call you 'dodgy'. Jens Lehman was the last of a long line of eccentric risk-takers, and not coincidentally also the last who truly tried to dominate his box.
Cheers, I like points 1 and 2 ....

Unread 02-12-2012, 04:23 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13
Cheers, I like points 1 and 2 ....
But point 3 is Lindegaard's problem I'd wager. He definitely needed to come deal with the 3rd goal.

Unread 02-12-2012, 04:27 AM
Terry Silver

Without reading this I can summarise that there's no point dropping DDG because he can't handle crosses if his replacement is just as bad, and a worse all round keeper.

Linda is very average.

Unless DDG is showing like Jim Leighton every day in training, I have no idea what Fergie's up to.

Unread 02-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Without reading this I can summarise that there's no point dropping DDG because he can't handle crosses if his replacement is just as bad, and a worse all round keeper.

Linda is very average.

Unless DDG is showing like Jim Leighton every day in training, I have no idea what Fergie's up to.
Yep. Especially as DDG has handled crosses quite nicely following the Newcastle game, where I think the penny dropped.

Unread 02-12-2012, 05:48 AM
M-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
But point 3 is Lindegaard's problem I'd wager. He definitely needed to come deal with the 3rd goal.
yes sir...

Unread 02-12-2012, 11:10 AM
dunk

I can only think that Fraggle had it in his head to rest DdG for a spell following his summer exertions and the tooth thing and our current run of games provided him with what he thought was a window of opportunity

I reckon Dave will be back Wednesday and that'll be him in for the majority of the season then, injury permitting.

Unread 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM
jem

linde did come for one corner and dropped it. man's got to know his limitations. roberts should have been booked for leaning into evra repeatedly, but evra was more in the way than roberts. would be more obvious if the defender wasn't there (you know.... like ferdinand yesterday). if a keeper is going to come, he needs to be a steamroller. pea gets called constantly for getting in front of the keeper. it's the closest he can get to being offside from a corner.

Unread 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I can only think that Fraggle had it in his head to rest DdG for a spell following his summer exertions and the tooth thing and our current run of games provided him with what he thought was a window of opportunity

I reckon Dave will be back Wednesday and that'll be him in for the majority of the season then, injury permitting.
he'll be back midweek, because fergie has relegated him to second choice. it's not "rotation".

maybe fergie will wake the £#%&! up. maybe ando will fly.

Unread 02-12-2012, 11:31 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
he'll be back midweek, because fergie has relegated him to second choice. it's not "rotation".

maybe fergie will wake the £#%&! up. maybe ando will fly.
I think he'll play next weekend too.

Unread 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I think he'll play next weekend too.
I hope so. we all hope so. it's the sane choice.

Unread 02-12-2012, 04:46 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I hope so. we all hope so. it's the sane choice.
I think yesterday removed any lingering doubt there, tbh.

Unread 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM
saffers

De Gea should play against Cluj and Ciddy.

Lindegaard has conceded 16 of our 21 goals in the league, pretty sure he's played less than DDG aswell.

Unread 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
De Gea should play against Cluj and Ciddy.

Lindegaard has conceded 16 of our 21 goals in the league, pretty sure he's played less than DDG aswell.
A sensible saffers post. Well done

Unread 02-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Sparky***

can we please change the thread title to just "de gea" that other @#%&! is dead to me.

Unread 08-12-2012, 12:07 AM
The Watcher

Thumbs down

United line up £8m January bid for Stoke's Begovic as doubts loom over De Gea and Lindegaard future

£#%&! off Bego (and Linda).

Unread 08-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I hope that's as inaccurate as their other report about the croatians.

MIDFIELD for the umpteenth £#%&!ing time :shakehead:

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Neo

Quote:
What a £#%&!ing joke. :shakehead:

In terms of ability, De Gea is probably the best player in our entire squad, after RVP and Rooney.

If Fergie actually thought about selling him then I would genuinely start questioning his possible senility.

Unread 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Top avatar
Closed Thread