United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts

Unread 22-07-2019, 08:06 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
Fantastic books, CRZ is an exceptional writer. Definitely check out the most recent release in the series if you can, Labyrinth of the Spirits I think it's called.
Reading Labyrinth of the Spirits now. Outstanding so far.

Unread 23-07-2019, 11:24 PM
andyroo

I've started on Wilt after someone on here recommended it a while ago (dunk I think?)

It's fucking hilarious Starts out quite dark and twisted but goes in unexpected directions.

Unread 23-07-2019, 11:31 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
I've started on Wilt after someone on here recommended it a while ago (dunk I think?)

It's fucking hilarious Starts out quite dark and twisted but goes in unexpected directions.
most of his books are hilarious.

Thereís a couple of pages in Riotous Assembly that have me beginning to giggle now, 15 years after I read it

Unread 24-07-2019, 02:38 AM
Child of Darkness

Bosch books - on my 3 rd one

Decent

Game of thrones books - surprisingly good

Hezbollah hiking club and the dark tourist both by Dom jolly - v enjoyable

Unread 24-07-2019, 07:51 AM
believe

Thumbs down

I want to recommend a book I read in the last year but canít for the life of me remember whatís itís called and Iíd actually like to read it again. Itís about a DJ in London who is having an affair with the wife of a London gangster. The plot starts at a party on 9/11, anyone any ideas?

Edit: I just found it itís called Dead Air by Iain Banks. Itís very good.

Last edited by believe; 24-07-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Unread 09-08-2019, 04:50 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Just read 2 books by a chap called John Niven.....kill your friends and the follow up kill em all....fictional story of a bloke trying to work his way up the ladder in the music A&R business...very dark, unPC and funny

Highly recommended
On the first of these now. The setting/satire of the bizness in the late 90s is perfectly pitched, and it is very funny. But by Christ cocaine bores are annoying cunts aren't they.

Unread 09-08-2019, 04:52 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
Bosch books - on my 3 rd one

Decent

Game of thrones books - surprisingly good

Hezbollah hiking club and the dark tourist both by Dom jolly - v enjoyable
Finished Bosch

Unintentionally hilarious moment half way through the series when I ordered a German copy of one of them. How I laughed.

Unread 09-08-2019, 05:15 PM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
On the first of these now. The setting/satire of the bizness in the late 90s is perfectly pitched, and it is very funny. But by Christ cocaine bores are annoying cunts aren't they.
His thriller Cold Hands written under John J. Niven is very good.

I also really liked the Sunshine Cruise Company.

Unread 09-08-2019, 05:23 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I want to recommend a book I read in the last year but canít for the life of me remember whatís itís called and Iíd actually like to read it again. Itís about a DJ in London who is having an affair with the wife of a London gangster. The plot starts at a party on 9/11, anyone any ideas?

Edit: I just found it itís called Dead Air by Iain Banks. Itís very good.
Never been a fan of Iain Banks but Iain M Banks is different league

Now there's a lad who can write and has something to say

Unread 09-08-2019, 05:33 PM
My Name is Heath

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off

Unintentionally hilarious moment half way through the series when I ordered a German copy of one of them. How I laughed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
His thriller Cold Hands written under John J. Niven is very good.
Switchers would have ordered Cold Hans