United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 15-05-2019, 11:05 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
The thing is, at this moment in time there isnít a player you could say should be captain.

See where we are in 3 years.
The captain bit isn't the point. Well, not really. More that a player we bought as a decent squad addition up front 8 years ago is now first choice full back.

He's played more games over each of the past two seasons than he ever has in any previous season at the club. That's wrong and Ole needs to see that binning the c*** would be a good (if only symbolic) start to next season.

Unread 15-05-2019, 11:27 AM
The Return of Tim

Can we stop talking about Young. As Gaz says, it's not his fault he's playing. And he won't be in our starting XI next season, so we can all move on I think.

Unread 11-11-2019, 12:21 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quiet first half yesterday but I thought his link up play was brilliant 2nd half

IMO the most important member of the squad currently as he's the only one who can play centre forward and be a reference point for the attack
Our attack looks a completely different animal when he's in the centre of the attack linking everything up

When he's not there we have to move Rashford from where he has been at times devastating this season to a position playing with his back to goal that he just isn't suited to

We need to sign a backup centre forward who is happy to not start most weeks but can be a reference point for the attack when he does play

Unread 11-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Quiet first half yesterday but I thought his link up play was brilliant 2nd half

IMO the most important member of the squad currently as he's the only one who can play centre forward and be a reference point for the attack
Our attack looks a completely different animal when he's in the centre of the attack linking everything up

When he's not there we have to move Rashford from where he has been at times devastating this season to a position playing with his back to goal that he just isn't suited to

We need to sign a backup centre forward who is happy to not start most weeks but can be a reference point for the attack when he does play
Agree with all of that.

He probably should have got a goal and thought it was one of his more subdued performances since coming back from injury, but he ended the game with two assists and caused their back line a lot of problems.

According to some of the shit online footy rags we've already agreed terms with an unnamed striker in January. Hopefully a decent back up striker and things are looking up.

Unread 11-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Soviet

Quote:

Fast forward to the summer, how many goals and assists would Rashford, Martial and James need to deliver this season for you to pin all your hopes on them going into next ? Or would you regardless ?.

Lets forget the idea of a backup striker, Mandzukic isnt going to be winning us any leagues, its going to come down to Rashford, Martial and James to deliver, and are you willing to pin all your hopes on them ?

Unread 11-11-2019, 12:51 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Thought he was really good yesterday, still not 100% or settled into the role yet either.

Unread 11-11-2019, 12:53 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
Fast forward to the summer, how many goals and assists would Rashford, Martial and James need to deliver this season for you to pin all your hopes on them going into next ? Or would you regardless ?.

Lets forget the idea of a backup striker, Mandzukic isnt going to be winning us any leagues, its going to come down to Rashford, Martial and James to deliver, and are you willing to pin all your hopes on them ?
James I'm still not sure as first choice wide right player
I think we should sign an inverted wide right forward in the summer who can contribute a lot of goals and assists while James can be a very good squad option

Why wouldn't Martial or Rashford be good enough to rely on next season
Their goals and assists record per 90 mins is very good this season
We need more backup for their positions but from what I've seen this season I think they're worth preserving with

We shouldn't be relying on them alone for our goals
We need more from midfield and full back with CBs chipping in with a few set piece goals

It's been hard for our attack this season as we play quite conservatively and defensively which isolates our forwards
Even yesterday we went very defensive and passive for the whole middle part of the match

Unread 11-11-2019, 12:53 PM
dunk

Quote:

f*** a back-up striker. Buy that Haaland and let them battle it out. They arenít all going to be firing all season over 60 games.

Would love a naturally left sided player as an option to replace Rashers at times too and a proper RW to help James out.

Unread 11-11-2019, 12:54 PM
utd99

Quote:

For them to be considered first choice front three going into next season there has to be 55+ goals per between them, and thatís a bare minimum to be competitive I think. Last season Liverpool got 69 from their front three; 53 from Mane and Salah alone.

Unread 11-11-2019, 12:56 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
James I'm still not sure as first choice wide right player
I think we should sign an inverted wide right forward in the summer who can contribute a lot of goals and assists while James can be a very good squad option

Why wouldn't Martial or Rashford be good enough to rely on next season
Their goals and assists record per 90 mins is very good this season
We need more backup for their positions but from what I've seen this season I think they're worth preserving with

We shouldn't be relying on them alone for our goals
We need more from midfield and full back with CBs chipping in with a few set piece goals

It's been hard for our attack this season as we play quite conservatively and defensively which isolates our forwards
Even yesterday we went very defensive and passive for the whole middle part of the match
James has been our best winger by a long shot this season, and was one of the bright spots during our abysmal run of form at the start of the campaign. Even if we, as you say, bring in an inverted winger to play on the right, why donít we do the same with him on the left?