United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-02-2019, 08:06 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Last summer we spent 70m?

That’s absolute peanuts in today’s market tbf, perhaps he’s been told there’s no money for a major overhaul and that’s why we’re playing hardball over a couple of million for the likes of Darmian while offering the likes of Jones five year contracts?

Might be the reason he’s looking for a director of football, someone that can identify talent before they make it big meaning we can get them on the cheap?
No Woowar just didn't want so sign Mourinho's ageing journeymen. He blew off a meeting to schmooze Florentino thinking he was getting Varane. The #@&%!.

Unread 09-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Might be the reason he’s looking for a director of football, someone that can identify talent before they make it big meaning we can get them on the cheap?
Even those players are going for 60m+.

Unread 09-02-2019, 08:30 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
No Woowar just didn't want so sign Mourinho's ageing journeymen. He blew off a meeting to schmooze Florentino thinking he was getting Varane. The #@&%!.
This.

Mourinho would have £#%&!ed another £200m to make us worse off. First of all he wanted to let Martial leave (a genuine superstar talent) for his beloved Willian and/or Peresic (two players approaching 30 with little upside and pretty ordinary records).

But..but Peresic was good in the World Cup? So was Pogba who went one step further by winning it but Mourinho was ostracising him for his yard dog Fellaini. Look at the Pogba vs Mourinho poll and see how embarrassing it is looking now.

Maguire for £60m+. He's decent but that price was way excessive for someone who went to Leicester for a quarter of that just a year before. Where was Mourinho's foresight then?

He bought Lindelof for almost twice the fee of Maguire that year yet in 12 months Maguire became double the player? Truth be told is for someone who built his stake on defence for years had no idea with ours and was winging it.

So yeah I'm glad he wasn't backed anymore. Ole has done what neither Mourinho, Van Gaal or Moyes did in a fraction of the time - get a settled idea of the best eleven. Confidence is building, familiarities on the pitch are showing, no more politics where certain players are just pawns in a power struggle.

Ole is getting the best out of our best players. He is getting our solid players maintaining consistency rather than being 8/10 one week and 4/10 the next. We know certain positions need upgrading but we also know the magnitude of the need was nowhere near as desperate as Mourinho was trying to con us into.

Unread 09-02-2019, 09:05 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
But was willing to spend 50m+ on Fred and give Fellaini a new contract?

I don’t buy it tbh, what happened last summer was more of Woodward creating a situation to try and force Mourinho to quit, rather than just disagreeing with all of his transfer targets because he didn’t think they were good enough, imo. But that’s history and my point is more to do with the possible direction the club takes next.

I’m all for the club taking a new direction when it comes to player recruitment and it’s definitely what’s needed. But the worry for me is the likes of Jones and Smalling being given new long term contracts looking like we’re going to try and penny pinch in certain areas or just completely overlook positions where we’re crying out for better players.

Time will tell I suppose.

Unread 09-02-2019, 09:09 PM
dunk

Get the impression United will spend if the profile of player fits and they can get the deal on their terms in 90% of circumstances. Those Mou wanted last summer didn’t fit the profile given the ages, fees and them not being superstars.

Unread 09-02-2019, 09:12 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
This.

Mourinho would have £#%&!ed another £200m to make us worse off. First of all he wanted to let Martial leave (a genuine superstar talent) for his beloved Willian and/or Peresic (two players approaching 30 with little upside and pretty ordinary records).

But..but Peresic was good in the World Cup? So was Pogba who went one step further by winning it but Mourinho was ostracising him for his yard dog Fellaini. Look at the Pogba vs Mourinho poll and see how embarrassing it is looking now.

Maguire for £60m+. He's decent but that price was way excessive for someone who went to Leicester for a quarter of that just a year before. Where was Mourinho's foresight then?

He bought Lindelof for almost twice the fee of Maguire that year yet in 12 months Maguire became double the player? Truth be told is for someone who built his stake on defence for years had no idea with ours and was winging it.

So yeah I'm glad he wasn't backed anymore. Ole has done what neither Mourinho, Van Gaal or Moyes did in a fraction of the time - get a settled idea of the best eleven. Confidence is building, familiarities on the pitch are showing, no more politics where certain players are just pawns in a power struggle.

Ole is getting the best out of our best players. He is getting our solid players maintaining consistency rather than being 8/10 one week and 4/10 the next. We know certain positions need upgrading but we also know the magnitude of the need was nowhere near as desperate as Mourinho was trying to con us into.
Really?

We’re one or two injuries to key players away from starting absolute dross?

Our squad is bloated with a load of mediocre players, some of them are even first team players every week

Rojo, Darmian, Young, Jones, Periera, Mata, Valencia all need upgrading very soon. The likes of Herrera, Matic, Smalling, Lingard could all be used more as squad options rather than first team starters every week.

Ole is doing a fantastic job there’s no question about that, but let’s not pretend all of our problems have been fixed and all we need is a couple of positional upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Get the impression United will spend if the profile of player fits and they can get the deal on their terms in 90% of circumstances. Those Mou wanted last summer didn’t fit the profile given the ages, fees and them not being superstars.
Time will tell...

Sancho in the summer for £80m+?

It wasn’t only Mourinho who Woodward stopped backing in the transfer market and thought he knew better. Did the same with Van Gaal when he apparently wanted Mane?

Unread 09-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Buck

Quote:
Really?

We’re one or two injuries to key players away from starting absolute dross?

Our squad is bloated with a load of mediocre players, some of them are even first team players every week

Rojo, Darmian, Young, Jones, Periera, Mata, Valencia all need upgrading very soon. The likes of Herrera, Matic, Smalling, Lingard could all be used more as squad options rather than first team starters every week.

Ole is doing a fantastic job there’s no question about that, but let’s not pretend all of our problems have been fixed and we need is a couple of positional upgrades

Time will tell...

It wasn’t only Mourinho who Woodward stopped backing in the transfer market and thought he knew better. Did the same with Van Gaal when he apparently wanted Mane?
That's not the point - Mourinho was making it out as if he was dragging us along and the players and fans should bow to him. In seven weeks Ole has delivered what Mourinho said would need a miracle. If we sacked the cretin earlier, say after City, we might be in a place where we have an outside shot of a title surge.

Is this united squad a vintage make up for our standards? Absolutely not.

But compare to the other teams and we've arguably the second best squad after City. I think it's Tiberian who often makes the point Jones is our 4th choice CB yet would start for most of the other teams including some of our rivals (definitely Arsenal). At the Emirates we brought on Martial and Rashford from the bench. Lukaku is a £75m back up now.

United should aspire to reach our standard of sweeping leagues and challenging for the UCL. This squad falls short. But it's still good enough against the current competition who bar City are no better.

Unread 09-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Fat Al

Really getting £#%&!ing annoyed at pundits & the like going on about our next 3 games being the 'make or break' for Ole's chances of becoming our permanent manager.

He wasn't brought in to win the FA Cup or have a bit of a run in the CL.
His only priority as manager is to secure a CL finish. anything else is a sideshow. He could go out of the FA Cup & CL in the next couple of weeks, but if he gets a top 4 finish then he'll get the job & rightly so.

Unread 09-02-2019, 09:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
Time will tell...

They would if they could, in a heartbeat. He is absolutely the profile of player they’d break the bank for. They wouldn’t get into an auction though, if they got word he’d prioritise United and could do the deal with Dortmund, then yeah, but highest bidder and cash on the nose, nah.

He won’t be moving for another 12 months at least anyway imo.

Unread 09-02-2019, 09:37 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
That's not the point - Mourinho was making it out as if he was dragging us along and the players and fans should bow to him. In seven weeks Ole has delivered what Mourinho said would need a miracle. If we sacked the cretin earlier, say after City, we might be in a place where we have an outside shot of a title surge.

Is this united squad a vintage make up for our standards? Absolutely not.

But compare to the other teams and we've arguably the second best squad after City. I think it's Tiberian who often makes the point Jones is our 4th choice CB yet would start for most of the other teams including some of our rivals (definitely Arsenal). At the Emirates we brought on Martial and Rashford from the bench. Lukaku is a £75m back up now.

United should aspire to reach our standard of sweeping leagues and challenging for the UCL. This squad falls short. But it's still good enough against the current competition who bar City are no better.
Mourinho was being a dick, no surprise there and things got so bad under him that I don’t think there’s any doubt the players stopped playing for him.

Ole knows the club inside out and has lifted everyone while getting us playing the best football we’ve played since Fergie left. No one can argue with any of that.

But to suggest we’ve got a squad worthy of challenging for titles etc is a bit far fetched imo. Like I said we're a couple of injuries away from having complete and utter shite staring week in and week out for us. The likes of Jones are no better than what arsenal or Liverpool have and would struggle to make the team sheet every week, he’s an injury prone calamity who should be at Everton or Burnley.

Listen, I’m not defending anything Mourinho did. But let’s not pretend things were good before him in regards to transfers. We’ve spent an absolute shit load in 6 years and have a cluster £#%&! of a squad bar about 14 players tbf. I’m just not confident it will change this summer unless the structure is improved.

Quote:
They would if they could, in a heartbeat. He is absolutely the profile of player they’d break the bank for. They wouldn’t get into an auction though, if they got word he’d prioritise United and could do the deal with Dortmund, then yeah, but highest bidder and cash on the nose, nah.

He won’t be moving for another 12 months at least anyway imo.
Which was kind of my point tbf.

Unless the player has his heart set on United or we pay their agent millions and millions it’s unlikely we’re making those sort of signings.

Unread 09-02-2019, 09:45 PM
dunk

Quote:
Mourinho was being a dick, no surprise there and things got so bad under him that I don’t think there’s any doubt the players stopped playing for him.

Ole knows the club inside out and has lifted everyone while getting us playing the best football we’ve played since Fergie left. No one can argue with any of that.

But to suggest we’ve got a squad worthy of challenging for titles etc is a bit far fetched imo. Like I said we're a couple of injuries away from having complete and utter shite staring week in and week out for us. The likes of Jones are no better than what arsenal or Liverpool have and would struggle to make the team sheet every week, he’s an injury prone calamity who should be at Everton or Burnley.

Listen, I’m not defending anything Mourinho did. But let’s not pretend things were good before him in regards to transfers. We’ve spent an absolute shit load in 6 years and have a cluster £#%&! of a squad bar about 14 players tbf. I’m just not confident it will change this summer unless the structure is improved.
I think this is due to lack of direction/chopping and changing of ideas in the dugout. Honestly think the plan is far clearer and well formed with the current incumbents, they know exactly what they want the team to do and the style of players needed to do the job. Moyes was clueless on both scores, LvG knew what he wanted to do ut didn't seem to be able to know what type of players he needed to do it and I honestly don't think Mourinho knew on either score due to uncertainty about himself as much as anything else...

Woodward would be mad to let this lot go I reckon.

Quote:
Which was kind of my point tbf.

Unless the player has his heart set on United or we pay their agent millions and millions it’s unlikely we’re making those sort of signings.
I think that has always been the case, the club always want to see desire for United above other clubs when moving. On the odd occasion that hasn't been the case, it hasn't tended to work out... Veron, Di Maria etc. Not necessarily a bad thing, frustrating for us like..

Hazard, as an example, could've come here and would've made shit tonnes moe money over the course of his career but instead opted for Chelsea who agreed to pay the agent fees. Frustrating, but just showed his heart wasn't in the challenge. Robben the same.

Unread 09-02-2019, 10:15 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
I think this is due to lack of direction/chopping and changing of ideas in the dugout. Honestly think the plan is far clearer and well formed with the current incumbents, they know exactly what they want the team to do and the style of players needed to do the job. Moyes was clueless on both scores, LvG knew what he wanted to do ut didn't seem to be able to know what type of players he needed to do it and I honestly don't think Mourinho knew on either score due to uncertainty about himself as much as anything else...

Woodward would be mad to let this lot go I reckon.

I think that has always been the case, the club always want to see desire for United above other clubs when moving. On the odd occasion that hasn't been the case, it hasn't tended to work out... Veron, Di Maria etc. Not necessarily a bad thing, frustrating for us like..

Hazard, as an example, could've come here and would've made shit tonnes moe money over the course of his career but instead opted for Chelsea who agreed to pay the agent fees. Frustrating, but just showed his heart wasn't in the challenge. Robben the same.
On fire atm pal. Must spread etc.

Unread 09-02-2019, 10:24 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Really getting £#%&!ing annoyed at pundits & the like going on about our next 3 games being the 'make or break' for Ole's chances of becoming our permanent manager.

He wasn't brought in to win the FA Cup or have a bit of a run in the CL.
His only priority as manager is to secure a CL finish. anything else is a sideshow. He could go out of the FA Cup & CL in the next couple of weeks, but if he gets a top 4 finish then he'll get the job & rightly so.
Tbf his other brief was to prevent United fans from ripping their eyeballs out and eating them rather than watch one more second, which although it’s early days I think we can say he’s achieved

Unread 10-02-2019, 01:12 AM
Denis Irwell

Still need the rhs fixing and if we’re not going to use Fred, need another quality mf in. Matic/Herrera/Poggers can’t play every game.

Defence looking much better. If Bailly can settle down along with big Vic, Smalling and Jones decent back up. Reckon Mickey had a big hand in this improving.

Unread 10-02-2019, 01:15 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Still need the rhs fixing and if we’re not going to use Fred, need another quality mf in. Matic/Herrera/Poggers can’t play every game.

Defence looking much better. If Bailly can settle down along with big Vic, Smalling and Jones decent back up. Reckon Mickey had a big hand in this improving.
Need 2 even if Fred turns up. Fellaini replacement/Matic alternative and genuine replacement and cover for Pogba. Minimum.

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:44 AM
Part 36 Offer

100% he will get it. He has to. He's absolutely the right man.

I feel like a kid again watching United albeit from overseas mostly. The atmosphere is like it was under ferie both home and away and the football we are playing is brilliant. His record is outstanding.

The players love him; the fans love him; he is so deeply motivated to succeed it's untrue. He is credible; loves the club; has great instinct and also has great presence and humility. He has every single skill required to be a top manager.

We have an excellent coaching team; just need to add a DOF/Head of player recruitment and we will be sorted for years. £#%&!ing love United

Unread 10-02-2019, 04:19 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer

I feel like a kid again watching United albeit from overseas mostly. The atmosphere is like it was under ferie both home and away and the football we are playing is brilliant. His record is outstanding.

The players love him; the fans love him; he is so deeply motivated to succeed it's untrue. He is credible; loves the club; has great instinct and also has great presence and humility. He has every single skill required to be a top manager.

We have an excellent coaching team; just need to add a DOF/Head of player recruitment and we will be sorted for years. £#%&!ing love United

Hearing Woowoo is giving it to Harry Redknapp. He’s related to F£#%&! y‘know.

Quote:
Need 2 even if Fred turns up. Fellaini replacement/Matic alternative and genuine replacement and cover for Pogba. Minimum.
Yep. Beginning to wonder how we’d fare if Poggers was out for any length of time.

Unread 10-02-2019, 07:13 AM
Cream

Quote:

Yep, spot on.

Not even arsed if we do get beat by teams with better squads than ours. He's clearly doing something very right indeed.

And if he does manage to stuff PSG and the scousers. Well £#%&! a doodle do.

Unread 10-02-2019, 10:30 AM
Zorg

Quote:

This. There is no reason whatsoever not to give it to him. The only other realistic candidate has won nothing anyway, so £#%&! it.

Unread 10-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
So we’ll never be buying another player then.

This summer will be very revealing.

Quote:
But to suggest we’ve got a squad worthy of challenging for titles etc is a bit far fetched imo. Like I said we're a couple of injuries away from having complete and utter shite staring week in and week out for us.
I’d say that applies even more to Liverpool and spurs. Only city have quality in depth.
Closed Thread