United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 01-10-2020, 09:32 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
That's a bit harsh it assumes full backs should always have the better of attackers - he does really well up against quick and skilful dribblers and even when someone goes past hom which they should do at some point he often recovers and blocks and even gets a tackle in.
No it doesn’t, I said as many

Of course there’s going to be times when he’s at a disadvantage or someone goes past him. He would just make it easier on himself if he cut out the situations that could be avoided by better positioning.

Unread 01-10-2020, 09:58 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Someone who is poor in the air, poor positionally and relies on lunging challenges should be moved to centre half, as the answer to our problems?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I think it’s a bit of both. He’s a decent tackler, makes a lot of tackles you think he’s not favourite for, but that’s because he’s constantly leaving himself in positions that give the attacker the advantage.

Would be a lot simpler if he just made sure he was in the right place and didn’t have to make as many last ditch tackles tbh.
Both correct. His reading of the game, anticipation of where the danger is and positioning to properly defend against it are all awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
This notion that he's a fantastic tackler is absolute nonsense. What he's very good at is recovering from the constant £#%&! ups he regularly makes.
He’s actually a pretty good tackler, but those lunging type interceptions should be a last resort not all you have.

Unread 01-10-2020, 11:18 AM
redhegemony

Clattering into the winger early doors with a well timed tackle can put the winger off. Sure he's learning but it's nice to have someone who doesn't mind getting stuck in.

Unread 01-10-2020, 02:06 PM
bosskeano

Positionally AWB is a defensive novice that completely relies upon his athleticism and recovery tackles to defend a vast majority of the time. That doesn't make him a good defender as most kids are taught that if you have to slide that means you are out of position as a defender.

When he can stand up a guy and face him, he's not a bad 1v1 defender even against some of the quicker players which isn't easy given he has long legs and isn't super quick.

His biggest issue is that he gets way too narrow to help cover for Lindelof and doesn't close the gap quickly enough or widen out quickly enough when the ball is being switched through the midfield to the wide areas.

Unread 01-10-2020, 02:14 PM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosskeano
Positionally AWB is a defensive novice that completely relies upon his athleticism and recovery tackles to defend a vast majority of the time. That doesn't make him a good defender as most kids are taught that if you have to slide that means you are out of position as a defender.

When he can stand up a guy and face him, he's not a bad 1v1 defender even against some of the quicker players which isn't easy given he has long legs and isn't super quick.

His biggest issue is that he gets way too narrow to help cover for Lindelof and doesn't close the gap quickly enough or widen out quickly enough when the ball is being switched through the midfield to the wide areas.
I think he's one of those suffering the most from only having one decent centre-back in the team. He doesn't seem to know whether he should coming in to the middle to help out, or cover the opponent coming in from his right. At the weekend he looked totally lost and he should be learning at this stage what his job is, instead of worrying about the calamities going on in the CB position.

Unread 01-10-2020, 02:16 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
I think he's one of those suffering the most from only having one decent centre-back in the team. He doesn't seem to know whether he should coming in to the middle to help out, or cover the opponent coming in from his right. At the weekend he looked totally lost and he should be learning at this stage what his job is, instead of worrying about the calamities going on in the CB position.
At Ipswich ideally.

Unread 01-10-2020, 02:34 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosskeano
if you have to slide that means you are out of position as a defender.
paul mcgrath used to slide tackle all the time and he's the best defender I've seen.

his positional sense isn't helped by the lack of cover in front of him or inside him, but a decent defensive coach would improve that side of his game. the fact is that his defending is very good, especially very good one-on-one. attacking... not so much. which wouldn't matter if we played properly.

Unread 01-10-2020, 02:45 PM
programmes?

I don't think he does slide in as a last ditch thing. He just does it all the time, pressure or not.

Unread 01-10-2020, 02:51 PM
Baron

AWB is a fantastic tackler, it's not even a debate. He makes tackles against the fastest players in the league who would normally just run straight past other fullbacks.

He had an absolute shitter vs Brighton at the weekend, but he was clearly unfit hence not playing the opener against Palace. I've not seen him move so far inside & leave the man free like that previously.

All of my reservations about him are related to his inability to do anything meaningful at the other end. Even overlapping seems to be beyond him, let along firing in a good cross. Falling over your own feet isn't the level required.

Barca just bought the young American Dest from Ajax for £23m, we paid twice as much ffs - I don't think it'll be too much of a stretch to see who develops into the best modern fullback.

Unread 01-10-2020, 02:51 PM
Patty_b

I think it's being read into too much, and it's just inconsistency. On his day he makes great players look shit. And off his day he makes shit players look great.

He just seems to be having more off days than on in his most recent performances. Hopefully he can then that around.

Although he's always absolutely £#%&!ing awful going forward.

Unread 01-10-2020, 06:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Has Marlo posted since we lost? Just remembered he popped up but has conveniently disappeared again.
Always pops up when we lose to say "I was right about Ole" innit?

What a genuinely sad thing to do.

Unread 01-10-2020, 07:44 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
paul mcgrath used to slide tackle all the time and he's the best defender I've seen.

his positional sense isn't helped by the lack of cover in front of him or inside him, but a decent defensive coach would improve that side of his game. the fact is that his defending is very good, especially very good one-on-one. attacking... not so much. which wouldn't matter if we played properly.
Jem in taking sense shocker...

Unread 01-10-2020, 07:46 PM
armchair

I swear Mata has gotten faster.

Unread 01-10-2020, 07:51 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
And The Scottish Player taller and slower, unless I’m going nuts.

Unread 01-10-2020, 07:52 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
he did look much speedier and got back and covered Dalot..

Unread 01-10-2020, 11:18 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Or just that the rest of our players have got slower?