United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-04-2021, 04:20 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Eric missed two in the league. Leeds and Blackburn away. Both 96-97.

And the Irwin sending off. That and Porto 04 were the two times I’ve been the most £#%&!ed off with a ref.

The game was dead and done and it was a critical time of the season. Arsenal won at Spurs and I really thought it had gone.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...Pogba-Rashford

Doesn't surprise me that the Express got it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Ah, forgot football started in 1992
First link I found. At least I made an effort.

Unread 30-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
There's definitely more penalties nowadays, doesn't seem that long ago we went damn near a full season without one

Still mad that he's up to 3rd in the rankings of penalty converters for United after 15 months

I take it Brucey is one of the top 2? He seemed to score one a week in 90-91

That made me so £#%&!ing mad Leonhardson the absolute #@&%!
David Elleray was the ref, no surprise. That guy was insufferable.

Unread 30-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Dr Stranger

Ruud was the best for me. Even the two he missed were a brilliant save and the underside of the bar.

I loved that he put 90% of them in the same spot. Top left. Basically said to the keeper that he knew where he was going, but there’s £#%&! all you can do about it.

Unread 30-04-2021, 04:25 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury

I wasn't blaming you

I don't know where the stat that he was up to 3rd came from... or what the list that was referred to constituted. You'd have thought it would be all time rather than just PL though.

Unread 30-04-2021, 04:28 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury

Such lazy journalism. The Elland Road one was quite memorable because it was the first he’d ever missed and it was against his old club. He just really casually rolled it about two feet wide of the post.

I’ve never seen the world so shocked at someone missing a penalty

Then we won 4-0

Unread 30-04-2021, 07:44 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Arsenal supporter David Elleray, you mean?

Unread 30-04-2021, 07:52 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Such lazy journalism. The Elland Road one was quite memorable because it was the first he’d ever missed and it was against his old club. He just really casually rolled it about two feet wide of the post.

I’ve never seen the world so shocked at someone missing a penalty

Then we won 4-0
I knew about the Leeds miss, just presumed it was a cup match (two kids and lots of beer have happened since then!).

Here's a better one (for just league matches):
https://www.worldfootball.net/alltim...ster-united/1/

TL/DR - Albert Quixall in 2nd, Eric pushed down to joint 4th with Charlie Mitten. Bruce and Bruno joint 6th.

Unread 30-04-2021, 11:01 PM
Reg Holdsworth

Quote:
Gave us 2 spot kicks in the 1994 FA Cup Final, 1 of those was very generous.

Didn’t he also send off the Leeds keeper that time when Lucas Radebe had to go in...who of course did his best Lev Yashin impression

Unread 30-04-2021, 11:12 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Holdsworth
Gave us 2 spot kicks in the 1994 FA Cup Final, 1 of those was very generous.

Didn’t he also send off the Leeds keeper that time when Lucas Radebe had to go in...who of course did his best Lev Yashin impression
well one of them was the most blatant penalty i've ever seen in my life (newton on irwin)... the other..yeah it was soft.

But on the other hand he sent off roy keane just about every chance he got, including the infamous semi final replay against arsenal where he gave them a pen in the last min as well. As well as the worst sending off ever on denis irwin at anfield.

I absolutely detested the harrow schoolmaster £#%&!er.

Unread 01-05-2021, 05:58 AM
Sapien

Quote:
well one of them was the most blatant penalty i've ever seen in my life (newton on irwin)... the other..yeah it was soft.

But on the other hand he sent off roy keane just about every chance he got, including the infamous semi final replay against arsenal where he gave them a pen in the last min as well. As well as the worst sending off ever on denis irwin at anfield.

And of course there should never have been a replay as the @#%&! ruled out a perfectly good goal for offside in the original tie.

About 10 mins in:

Unread 01-05-2021, 06:06 AM
jem

Quote:

Unread 01-05-2021, 08:21 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
And of course there should never have been a replay as the @#%&! ruled out a perfectly good goal for offside in the original tie.

About 10 mins in:
https://youtu.be/3SYQCMs0lig
Ridiculous decision

Unread 01-05-2021, 10:41 AM
pedr0

Don't linesmen give offsides not referees?
And there was nothing remotely controversial about the Keane red card or the P Neville penalty in the replay.

Sounding a bit scouse here

Unread 01-05-2021, 11:01 AM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
Don't linesmen give offsides not referees?
And there was nothing remotely controversial about the Keane red card or the P Neville penalty in the replay.

Sounding a bit scouse here
Linesmen flag for them, referees give them. HTH YSB.

Unread 01-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Dr Stranger

A vital win for them tomorrow would end their own reign as Champions.

Almost worth it*

*It’s not.

Unread 01-05-2021, 02:36 PM
Pop

£#%&! that, delay the inevitable and keep them clear of fourth.

10-0 Utd.

Scouse bastards.

Unread 01-05-2021, 02:41 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
£#%&! that, delay the inevitable and keep them clear of fourth.

10-0 Utd.

Scouse bastards.
Absolutely. I want us finishing as close as we can. I want Liverpool as far behind us as possible and I want our superiority over them this year hammered home with a win.

I see Paul Ince last week was going on about how we’re ‘not as good as city or Liverpool when they have everyone fit’.

We’ll be 16 points ahead of them if we win tomorrow, but yeah, not as good.

Love how entire seasons can just be erased because Van Dijk got injured.

Unread 01-05-2021, 02:46 PM
Pop

Van Dijk got injured? They certainly kept that quiet.

Unread 01-05-2021, 02:55 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Van Dijk got injured? They certainly kept that quiet.
They were shit all season. They lost 7-2 to villa whilst he was in the team. Of course injuries affect them but they affect everyone . Good champions should be able to take 3-4 players out of their team and still compete. It’s what makes a good team. These £#%&!ers were comparing the scouse team to the treble team, £#%&!ing blasphemous. Can’t stand the media and the scousers.

Unread 01-05-2021, 03:06 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
They were shit all season. They lost 7-2 to villa whilst he was in the team. Of course injuries affect them but they affect everyone . Good champions should be able to take 3-4 players out of their team and still compete. It’s what makes a good team. These £#%&!ers were comparing the scouse team to the treble team, £#%&!ing blasphemous. Can’t stand the media and the scousers.
Yep. A drop off, sure. Struggle in big games or maybe the difference between winning the title and not, but they’ve just utterly collapsed. Not sure how losing a defender means Mane and Firmino have to go to shit either. Their lack of squad depth and Klopp’s tactical rigidity has £#%&!ed then too. He didn’t have a clue what to do about it when they were at their worst.

I’d love it if VVD came back next year and they were just as shit.
Closed Thread