United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Money

Unread 14-01-2022, 09:42 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharders
I'm not negating that. Paying a mortgage off is for peace of mind, definitely, as it "clears debt". If that sits comfortably then do it, of course, but for those who know how money markets works you're losing out, massively.
Not everyone's motivator is maximising income. Paying off a mortgage early is a perfectly sensible option to take for many. It comes down to individual choice and you can't quantify someone's sense of security to something you can input into a calculator.

Personally I do both.

Unread 14-01-2022, 11:09 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharders
I'm not negating that. Paying a mortgage off is for peace of mind, definitely, as it "clears debt". If that sits comfortably then do it, of course, but for those who know how money markets works you're losing out, massively.

Has been suggested. Next business I think. It's easy to me, perhaps not to others'.
Ears is a financial genius, well maybe...

Got me looped into meme stocks, which was a fantastic period of time. Had immense fun and doubled my money.

You make a valid point about interest only Vs repayment mortgages though.

Unread 15-01-2022, 01:27 AM
waynes ear's

**** off to the Mortgage 2022 thread

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
Ears is a financial genius, well maybe...

Got me looped into meme stocks, which was a fantastic period of time. Had immense fun and doubled my money.
missed this, getting ready for round 2 tbh

end of this month and February looking exceptionally spicy

Last edited by waynes ear's; 15-01-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Unread 15-01-2022, 10:32 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's

edit:

missed this, getting ready for round 2 tbh

end of this month and February looking exceptionally spicy
Count me in again....

Unread 15-01-2022, 10:42 AM
waynes ear's

yhpm

Unread 15-01-2022, 10:51 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
yhpm

Unread 15-01-2022, 08:40 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Vanguard LifeStrategies 100% Acc.

Buy it on Vangiards platform for the cheapest fees.

Fundsmith is decent. His annual letters are usually a good read.
I have a s&s ISA with nutmeg, it's up11% at the minute which I though was pretty good? I put into this and my company pension in equal amounts plus the firms share scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
A rather simplistic outlook. People pay off their mortgage for peace of mind - an investment in security. Especially prevalent given the pandemic and people's job security perhaps being in question.
For me paying off my mortgage means I have a roof over my head even if I lose my job or the worst happens. Piece of mind for me even if its not Warren Buffets strategy.

Unread 15-01-2022, 08:44 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
I have a s&s ISA with nutmeg, it's up11% at the minute which I though was pretty good? I put into this and my company pension in equal amounts plus the firms share scheme.

For me paying off my mortgage means I have a roof over my head even if I lose my job or the worst happens. Piece of mind for me even if its not Warren Buffets strategy.
This.

Unemotionally I understand a mortgage at 2% and a return of 11% means donít pay off the mortgage.

Emotionally, knowing you have a roof over your head is special. Unless Brexit takes that comfort away like happened to me :-(

Unread 15-01-2022, 09:13 PM
waynes ear's

Unread 15-01-2022, 09:14 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
**** off to the bin. Biff.