Unread 23-01-2020, 12:26 AM
suedeshoes

He's not as bad as he looks tbh.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:29 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
He's not as bad as he looks tbh.
He’s been over used just like the majority of the squad.

He looks absolutely knackered and has had way too much responsibility thrown onto him in such a short space of time.

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:30 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
He’s been over used just like the majority of the squad.

He looks absolutely knackered and has had way too much responsibility thrown onto him in such a short space of time.
Like rashford isn't he playing with an injury? Won't be long until we run him into the ground until he breaks down then

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:34 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Like rashford isn't he playing with an injury? Won't be long until we run him into the ground until he breaks down then
Was supposedly out for weeks with a hip injury iirc, missed one game and has played since...

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:38 AM
marlo

so with Maguire proving to be a waste of money. as Daniel James hardly being value for money as we are getting what we paid for a young distinctly average winger..

the red pen lid is off and been used to cross out....
'bought well'

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:38 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
oh, god. jones and lindelof?

Unread 23-01-2020, 05:55 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
He was always vastly overrated. Not as if any of the teams he has been in have been good defensively and the issues people pointed out, lack of pace, agility, recovery runs, awareness of danger, are still there.

His ball playing ability was really just those buccaneering runs forward and he has cut those out, probably because the benefit of them was less than the danger it created when play broke down and he had to struggle back, passing has been little above average.

As much as people don't like it, Smalling at his best was a better defender than Maguire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Some people were laughed at for suggesting Smalling isn't much worse...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showt...malling&page=2

And this is a belter.

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showt...light=Smalling

Unread 23-01-2020, 07:27 AM
puressence

Should have stayed with original quote all those years ago .. Pub player

Unread 23-01-2020, 08:22 AM
Dasilvatwins

Sad thing is. He is still our best defender ahead of lindelof rojo bailley tuanzebe and jones

Fwiw. Smalling is also shit. None of these are good enough to be at united. No point championing smalling just because our replacment is shit. Theyre both shite

Unread 23-01-2020, 08:25 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Sad thing is. He probably is still our best defender ahead of lindelof rojo bailley tuanzebe
He’s having a bad run of games but I’ve no concerns long term with him. What’s £#%&!ing me off more than anything is him taking the ball from De Gea all the time, sometimes with two players close to him and we’re on the back foot ten seconds after receiving the ball. Who’s to blame for that is anyone’s guess but if I was the management I’d make sure it wasn’t happening after watching it fail for 4 months.

Unread 23-01-2020, 08:33 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
He’s having a bad run of games but I’ve no concerns long term with him. What’s £#%&!ing me off more than anything is him taking the ball from De Gea all the time, sometimes with two players close to him and we’re on the back foot ten seconds after receiving the ball. Who’s to blame for that is anyone’s guess but if I was the management I’d make sure it wasn’t happening after watching it fail for 4 months.
Agree that he's not a massive concern. Take him out and we look infinitely worse.

On the goal kicks, it's easy for the opposition to read because the other option is play it long to a forward line that doesn't break the 6ft mark. And De Gea's distribution seems to be getting worse every season.

The one thing about Maguire is that no matter how bad he is on the day, he never shies away from the ball or getting involved.

Unread 23-01-2020, 08:39 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
He’s having a bad run of games but I’ve no concerns long term with him. What’s f***ing me off more than anything is him taking the ball from De Gea all the time, sometimes with two players close to him and we’re on the back foot ten seconds after receiving the ball. Who’s to blame for that is anyone’s guess but if I was the management I’d make sure it wasn’t happening after watching it fail for 4 months.
Agreed. Maybe im still reeling from last night. I suppose he has been introduced into a shit situation with normally a limp dick CB partner in lindelof

Unread 23-01-2020, 08:41 AM
AK14

Thing with the goal kicks is we can’t seem to kick long because we haven’t got a proper CF that can win the ball on the air or hold the ball up.

Unread 23-01-2020, 09:22 AM
Red Santos

Another player playing with an injury

Nice one Ole

Unread 23-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Stickman

Built up off the back of an extremely overrated World Cup in 2018.

Maguires always been a bit of a myth for me.

80m, superb

Unread 23-01-2020, 01:08 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Thing with the goal kicks is we can’t seem to kick long because we haven’t got a proper CF that can win the ball on the air or hold the ball up.
Liverpool seem to manage it.

Unread 23-01-2020, 01:19 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Agree that he's not a massive concern. Take him out and we look infinitely worse.

On the goal kicks, it's easy for the opposition to read because the other option is play it long to a forward line that doesn't break the 6ft mark. And De Gea's distribution seems to be getting worse every season.

The one thing about Maguire is that no matter how bad he is on the day, he never shies away from the ball or getting involved.
He's having to defend set pieces with zonal marking as well let's not forget.

He's being told not to mark players. Let that sink in.

Unread 23-01-2020, 01:22 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Liverpool seem to manage it.
I thought they predominately played out from the back which is why three of their back four have the highest passing stats for the season?

Probably helps that Firmino is 10x the player Martial is and they’ve got a keeper that can actually pick out a pass though tbf.

Unread 23-01-2020, 01:25 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Built up off the back of an extremely overrated World Cup in 2018.

Maguires always been a bit of a myth for me.

80m, superb
I think Maguire is better than he has been

On a related note this Buy British strategy is going to kill us. Paid about double Maguire’s worth. Not a chance AWB is a 50 million player and now talk of 25m for a 16 year old.

Madness

Unread 23-01-2020, 01:27 PM
Ethers

Quote:
I thought they predominately played out from the back which is why three of their back four have the highest passing stats for the season?

Probably helps that Firmino is 10x the player Martial is and they’ve got a keeper that can actually pick out a pass though tbf.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting we should be using long goal kicks as our predominant tactic, just that it would be good to have it as an option.

Which Liverpool do, if you press them at the back they’re more than happy to go over the top of you, because their keeper’s distribution is superb and the forwards are more than happy to put in the work to find space
Closed Thread