United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-10-2019, 05:10 AM
believe

Football Positives from yesterday

The general consensus from threads yesterday is that too many of us are focusing on the negatives rather than the positives, so let’s have a look at the positives we can take from the game. I’ll start

Andreas Pereirra, a 23 year old professional footballer on 30 grand a week, did some running.

Any more?

Unread 21-10-2019, 05:18 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
The general consensus from threads yesterday is that too many of us are focusing on the negatives rather than the positives, so let’s have a look at the positives we can take from the game. I’ll start

Andreas Pereirra, a 23 year old professional footballer on 30 grand a week, did some running.

Any more?

Unread 21-10-2019, 05:31 AM
Part 36 Offer

I agree it was an opportunity lost (and partly bottled) but a week ago I was convinced we were going down. So a few positives, here we go:

1. Rashford’s performance and goal. He sets the tempo for this team and is a huge talent despite the criticism he gets. He ran van Dijk ragged at times. He’d walk into any other top European team imo.
2. James, Pereira, The Scottish Player and Maguire all very good.
3. Keeper did well and he’s been shite for 18 months plus.
4. Tactically we outmanoeuvred Klopp for most of the game; even mou said that. Bodes well for future. Naive Mistakes were made at end of the game but on reflection these things happen in football and think Ole will learn.
5. I think there is some progression in the team and the coaching. Just will take a long time; just as Klopp’s vermin rejuvenation has done. But you put Kane and eriksen in our team today and we walk that game. Again, bodes well for future if we get the recruitment right going forward. Sancho, Maddison, and yes, even Kane. Imagine those 3 plus a left back and another CM. United would be challenging. Hard to know if the board will back that though given the theiving c*** owners.

Unread 21-10-2019, 06:25 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
I agree it was an opportunity lost (and partly bottled) but a week ago I was convinced we were going down. So a few positives, here we go:

1. Rashford’s performance and goal. He sets the tempo for this team and is a huge talent despite the criticism he gets. He ran van Dijk ragged at times. He’d walk into any other top European team imo.
2. James, Pereira, The Scottish Player and Maguire all very good.
3. Keeper did well and he’s been shite for 18 months plus.
4. Tactically we outmanoeuvred Klopp for most of the game; even mou said that. Bodes well for future. Naive Mistakes were made at end of the game but on reflection these things happen in football and think Ole will learn.
5. I think there is some progression in the team and the coaching. Just will take a long time; just as Klopp’s vermin rejuvenation has done. But you put Kane and eriksen in our team today and we walk that game. Again, bodes well for future if we get the recruitment right going forward. Sancho, Maddison, and yes, even Kane. Imagine those 3 plus a left back and another CM. United would be challenging. Hard to know if the board will back that though given the theiving c*** owners.
Pretty much this.

I don’t think it would take that long to click if we get our recruitment right. We need to make sure our next couple of signings are the right ones and we need some luck as well as good judgement with that. All his signings so far have been good - James the stand out player for us this season - a player who was destined for Leeds United before we went in for him.

Our front 3 could be formidable but we need a proven striker to take the pressure off. I think the defence is there when all fully fit. Midfield needs some work.

The players were 100% playing for ole yesterday nqat. The crowd were fully behind him too. Hopefully ole’s confidence and belief will grow from that.

Unread 21-10-2019, 06:30 AM
waynes ear's

1) we didnt lose
2) Some liverpool fans got battered after the match outside the ground

Thats it.

Unread 21-10-2019, 06:30 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Any more?
he wouldnt get out of bed for 30k

he wouldnt sign him but vardy would be immense at utd for the way the manager wants us to play , is there a player out there similar ? think son could be that player

Unread 21-10-2019, 06:49 AM
Cream

Much like Paris, it showed that we can put in a performance without snakes.

I think Ole might just know a thing or two about setting up a football team.

He had Klopp fuming pre/during/post match.

Unread 21-10-2019, 06:55 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

can't really use a game like yesterday as a barometer. we upped our game just like they would have done when we were far better.

normal service will resume next round of fixtures

Unread 21-10-2019, 06:57 AM
Patty_b

Fred and Pereira played well.

Rashford played very well.

We outplayed and outmanuevered the Champions of Europe for the majority of the game, and stopped their 17 game winning run in it's tracks; after the vast majority of football fans (including United fans) predicted a trouncing from the scousers.

We did it with a threadbare team that had Pereira starting upfront, Fred starting as one of a two in midfield, and Ashley Young at left back.

Ole can play with the big boys, the club just need to back him so he has the squad that can compete for a full 90, instead of having to rely on lazy half fit strikers and academy left backs filling in at right midfield as substitutes.

The scousers crying about VAR

Unread 21-10-2019, 06:59 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

He had Klopp fuming pre/during/post match.

Reminded me of Fergie winding Rafa up.

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:03 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
can't really use a game like yesterday as a barometer. we upped our game just like they would have done when we were far better.

This. The true measure of whether we’ve turned into 90s Liverpool will be if we go and get @#%&!ted by Norwich after suddenly putting in a shift against our biggest rivals.

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:

Yep. Was good to see they turned up but would have been disappointed if they hadn't. Liverpool couldn't handle the fixture but still got a draw. Doesn't tell us that much but hopefully it instills enough confidence that we can recover from Norwich's opening goal.

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b

We outplayed and outmanuevered the Champions of Europe for the majority of the game, and stopped their 17 game winning run in it's tracks;
Imagine showing this post to someone 10 years ago.

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:14 AM
Cream

Quote:
Imagine 14 years ago.

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:15 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Imagine 14 years ago.
Imagine 247 years ago ?

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:19 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
This. The true measure of whether we’ve turned back into 1980s United will be if we go and get @#%&!ted by Norwich after suddenly putting in a shift against our biggest rivals.
Fixed it for you.

iirc, we beat Liverpool at home and then got beat by Sunderland away... Can't remember if it was late Atkinson or early Fergie. I suspect the latter as Robbins came on in the Liverpool game

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:27 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
No problem as long as you don't mention it's the scousers.

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Billy Redface

Rashford goal
Rashford performance after the goal
Work rate
Tactics
Fred improving
Pererra improving
We actually created decent chances and openings against a tight defence
We defended well
Out playing the current best side in the league for the majority of the match
Doing something nobody has done since April - take points off liverpool
'Turning up'. We could have shrunk.

Some might say this is faint praise, but a lot of it is stuff we haven't seen much of this season, so it's an improvement.

A lot of people seem to want their cake and eat it. Dissenting voices that are insisting we are in a relegation battle, then proclaim how low our standards have dropped when we match the best side in the league.

Which is it? Are we shite now? Relegation fodder? If so, shouldn't we be pleased with this?

Liverpool are better than us in every department. We see this every week, so to match them in all departments is encouraging. It's something to build on. And achieved at a low ebb with players missing and others breaking down in the warm up

Liverpool were happy to get out with a point.

IMO, we need to stop talking about United sides of the past. It isnt ten years ago. This isnt a top united side.

Right now, we need to see some basic signs of improvement under a manager we're committed to in the long run.

Given the woeful run and general mood around the club this week, contrasted with Liverpool's form and fortune, I think it would be pretty one-sided to suggest a draw wouldn't indicate an improvement on what we've seen and encouraging given the opposition.

Every game we have played this season has been tight. Even the Chelsea game was flattering. We've played chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. We haven't just folded in any game . The will is there. They're working hard. They just need that confidence.

If we can improve on this at Norwich this weekend, we can start turning these narrow games in our favour.

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:57 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Rashford goal
Rashford performance after the goal
Work rate
Tactics
Fred improving
Pererra improving
We actually created decent chances and openings against a tight defence
We defended well
Out playing the current best side in the league for the majority of the match
Doing something nobody has done since April - take points off liverpool
'Turning up'. We could have shrunk.

Some might say this is faint praise, but a lot of it is stuff we haven't seen much of this season, so it's an improvement.

A lot of people seem to want their cake and eat it. Dissenting voices that are insisting we are in a relegation battle, then proclaim how low our standards have dropped when we match the best side in the league.

Which is it? Are we shite now? Relegation fodder? If so, shouldn't we be pleased with this?

Liverpool are better than us in every department. We see this every week, so to match them in all departments is encouraging. It's something to build on. And achieved at a low ebb with players missing and others breaking down in the warm up

Liverpool were happy to get out with a point.

IMO, we need to stop talking about United sides of the past. It isnt ten years ago. This isnt a top united side.

Right now, we need to see some basic signs of improvement under a manager we're committed to in the long run.

Given the woeful run and general mood around the club this week, contrasted with Liverpool's form and fortune, I think it would be pretty one-sided to suggest a draw wouldn't indicate an improvement.

Every game we have played this season has been tight. Even the Chelsea game was flattering. We've played chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

If we can improve on this at Norwich this weekend, we can start turning these narrow games in our favour.
Do some work you absolute @#%&!.

Unread 21-10-2019, 07:58 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Do some work you absolute *****.
WFH *

* in a bit
Closed Thread