United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:21 AM
dunk

Default So, The Championship & ECL are In the bag...

...And Fergie and Querioz sat down to sort out the squad requirements to ensure improvement and a serious tilt at, say 6-7 trophies in the next 12 months.

What do you reckon was outlined? Bearing in mind that they would already have a list of targets and that they know who will be leaving, add in the fact that the budget they have to work with ha probably just improved out of sight, with the shiny bottom's realisation of the fundage made by a season like this, I would imagine they would be willing to listen to any requests Ferguson has in order to keep this success rolling, and will probably grant any that are viable from a business point of view.

So, £30m for 20-21 year old is probably not out of the question. But who and how many do you really think they will look to bring in? 3-4? And when will things start happening, given the clubs recently found efficiency in the transfer market?

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
...And Fergie and Querioz sat down to sort out the squad requirements to ensure improvement and a serious tilt at, say 6-7 trophies in the next 12 months.

What do you reckon was outlined? Bearing in mind that they would already have a list of targets and that they know who will be leaving, add in the fact that the budget they have to work with ha probably just improved out of sight, with the shiny bottom's realisation of the fundage made by a season like this, I would imagine they would be willing to listen to any requests Ferguson has in order to keep this success rolling, and will probably grant any that are viable from a business point of view.

So, £30m for 20-21 year old is probably not out of the question. But who and how many do you really think they will look to brig in? 3-4?
3 out, 3 in.

saha, silvestre, pique out.

IN Villa, Benzema and Huntelaar. (In my wet dreams)

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:26 AM
waynes ear's

fergoz out

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:31 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
3 out, 3 in.

That would leave us a little top heavy, no?

I was just thinking this morning, how utterly demoralising for all our rivals it would be if we were to announce 2-3 top, young signings before May was out.

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Ether

Quote:
3 out, 3 in.

2 defenders out, 3 strikers in??? And only Benzema would get a regular game out of that lot imo.

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:38 AM
wonky no

well, obviuosly robbie keane is in (announcment on tuesday)

miki out
pique out
knutsack out

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
2 defenders out, 3 strikers in??? And only Benzema would get a regular game out of that lot imo.
sorry, I meant Alves not Villa.

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Ether

Quote:
sorry, I meant Alves not Villa.
Ah right, makes more sense now

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:47 AM
wee man

some of the loanees as well will go. Evans and Gibson will do good jobs for middle range Premiership clubs - United - no (sadly in Evans case).

Unread 24-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Spiffy

I think we'll buy

Shaun Wright Phillips
Huntlaar
Some goalkeeper not quite good enough.

Unread 24-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Tiberian

Goals from midfield is a major area where Utd can improve.

Do not really see anyone form the current crop of midfielders at Utd who could provide 10-15 a season. If they could all get 5+ it would be a major help.

A full back who can play either side, a winger who can do the same and a pacy, physically powerful striker would be my choices.

Unread 24-05-2008, 12:27 PM
MUFC One Love

A few weeks ago didn't Fergie say that he will try to sign an experienced striker? But yesterday he said last summer we signed young players who could develop with us, then said he'll probably do the same again this summer?

I think we'll definitely sign a striker and a right back.

Unread 24-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
some of the loanees as well will go. Evans and Gibson will do good jobs for middle range Premiership clubs - United - no (sadly in Evans case).
would be very suprised to see Evans go considering Pique will join Barca in the next few days and that Silvestre is on his way out.

Unread 24-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Whalefish

I've come round to Wes tbh. Think we need a right back but if Utd can't sign Alves then I'd be tempted to go for Rafinha. Very good prospect but wouldn't arrive demanding/expecting a first team spot.

In terms of a striker, not sure. We need someone who can hold the ball up/link the play. Berbatov or Gomez - even Ashton? Pace can come from the players around them although neither are slow (apart from Ashton). All have the ability to hold the ball up and play others in.

As Tibs said above, goals from midfield needs some work. No idea who though.

Edit: Benzema is the ideal/dream striker signing though. Just don't think there's much chance of that happening this Summer.

Unread 24-05-2008, 12:55 PM
marlo stansfield

carlton cole. nft.

Unread 24-05-2008, 01:35 PM
borsuk

goals from m/f will come next year if we sign a striker. ronnie's been playing up from quite a lot this year, which has meant we've had a narrower three behind who can't break into the box so easily because they're further back. i think if we sign a genuine striker it will allow ronnie to come wider and give the midfield players more licence to get forward with the play.

i can see anderson scoring quite regularly next year. nani also looks capable of ten a season, as does park. scholes and carrick can get a few each and if hargreaves can chip in with four or five free kicks we'll be doing fine.

i think 4-3-3 forces the midfield to play quite conservatively, though the full backs can get up. something more like 4-2-3-1, which is what i imagine fergie is aiming at, should spread the goals around a lot more.

Unread 24-05-2008, 01:40 PM
MUFC One Love

I think Berbatov would be ideal for us at this moment in time imo.

We won't sign Benzema, definitely not this summer anyway.

Glen Johnson could be a good signing, wouldn't be to dear and is a very good full back.

Unread 24-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
looks capable of ten a season, as does park. .

Good one Borsuk.

Unread 24-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

i can see anderson scoring quite regularly next year. nani also looks capable of ten a season, as does park. scholes and carrick can get a few each and if hargreaves can chip in with four or five free kicks we'll be doing fine.
Erm. Anderson hasn't even scored once for us yet. So to say you can see him scoring regularly next season is a hell of a leap. And when has Park looked capable of double figures in a season!? He's barely had a shot on goal all year.

Unread 24-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Tumescent Throb

Jose Ernesto Sosa anybody?
Closed Thread