United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Agree in principle, but you get the sense there isn't too much coming through at this moment.

Go back ten years and forward talent in the 18-22 age bracket: Rooney, Eto'o, Ronaldo, Zlatan, RvP, Tevez, Villa, Torres, Adriano.

Don't get the impression there's that kind of quality around at the moment.
I agree, which would make it a good idea to snap up Falcao if he's settled in. At that point we can play musical contract renewals until one of them £#%&!s off or until Wilson or another bloke takes their place.

There's no harm in having world class 'veterans' [like Falcao and RvP] in the side, and United can bring pace from deeper/wider and use some combination of these same strikers for a while yet imo - with that crucial caveat that they are always looking for their successors.

Unread 17-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
You can play in bursts in their position, though. Alves, especially as he ages, will be constantly targeted defensively. Not to mention the athletic requirements of a full-back in the modern game. Zanetti, more so than Giggs and Totti, was the real freak in that respect.

Alves could do a job for a bit. For me it's overkill to get him with Rafa around, though. A more subtle signing required for depth, imo.
I see it as a no brainer tbh and him playing a more disciplined role as he ages will see him easily cope with any physical decline. If there is a better option out there in the summer of course sign them up. In terms of what we need in any defenders being added to the squad i see him as a great option and one that won't impede Raf's progression after the write off of the last 2 seasons.

Unread 17-10-2014, 06:35 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I agree, which would make it a good idea to snap up Falcao if he's settled in. At that point we can play musical contract renewals until one of them £#%&!s off or until Wilson or another bloke takes their place.

There's no harm in having world class 'veterans' [like Falcao and RvP] in the side, and United can bring pace from deeper/wider and use some combination of these same strikers for a while yet imo - with that crucial caveat that they are always looking for their successors.
Yeah, I agree. If there was/is a 23yo Eto'o around then I'd go for him, but as it is then Wilson learning off these guys is probably the plan. Although losing one of them and bringing in a pacey squad striker might give us better options.

Unread 17-10-2014, 06:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
I see it as a no brainer tbh and him playing a more disciplined role as he ages will see him easily cope with any physical decline. If there is a better option out there in the summer of course sign them up. In terms of what we need in any defenders being added to the squad i see him as a great option and one that won't impede Raf's progression after the write off of the last 2 seasons.
I haven't watched too much of Clyne, but I see Koeman is raving about him.

Isn't it the case that he can play left side at a push as well as his favoured right side? Could be a decent addition as cover.

Unread 18-10-2014, 10:30 AM
crockster

Default Did not realise

He was

Oh well if fans on here are happy with our club signing an ageing player from Brazil then so be it.

Unread 18-10-2014, 10:34 AM
crockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
He's not Spanish you p****
I was meaning to put Brazil, just woken up pal.

Rough too, had a few last neet.

Unread 19-10-2014, 10:46 AM
crockster

Thumbs down Alves an has-been, past his best

Liability in defense, no wonder he's coming here for free :shakeshead:

Unread 19-10-2014, 10:50 AM
wiganste

People moaning that Dani Alves may be signing

Unread 19-10-2014, 10:57 AM
crockster

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
People moaning that Dani Alves may be signing
Aided by a zimmer frame now.

Unread 19-10-2014, 10:57 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockster
Aided by a zimmer frame now.
He's 32 ffs. Hardly an OAP

Unread 19-10-2014, 11:04 AM
crockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
He's 32 ffs. Hardly an OAP
Old for a footballer pal and past his best he is, watch barca play and talk to barca fans who will tell you same.

Unread 19-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Shooter McGavin

Over the hill yet still being picked by one of the best and most consistent full backs ever.

Good experienced player fits the way LVG wants to play plus is excellent competition and a potential mentor for Rafael

Unread 19-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Red Al

It will be a good backup/competition spot for Raffers for the short term while we get the CB and DM bits sorted.
Can't bear another season of smalling,Jones or Valencia there

Unread 19-10-2014, 11:26 AM
crockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter McGavin
Over the hill yet still being picked by one of the best and most consistent full backs ever.

Good experienced player fits the way LVG wants to play plus is excellent competition and a potential mentor for Rafael
His performances at club level and at the last world cup have been poor (maicon replaced him) - yeah has me wandering why barca stil select him...

Unread 19-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Shooter McGavin

Quote:
His performances at club level and at the last world cup have been poor (maicon replaced him) - yeah has me wandering why barca stil select him...
I'm not going to take Scolari's selections seriously.

Maicon is also ahead of Rafael in the pecking order.

Unread 19-10-2014, 11:45 AM
crockster

Quote:
I'm not going to take Scolari's selections seriously.

Maicon is also ahead of Rafael in the pecking order.
Go and speak with Barca fans on their forums who will give you the same opinion as I have.

Unread 19-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Go and speak with Barca fans on their forums who will give you the same opinion as I have.
Link

Unread 19-10-2014, 11:51 AM
otbarney

Paul Nolan?

Unread 19-10-2014, 11:56 AM
crockster

Quote:
Link
Google it (barca forums)

Unread 19-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Shooter McGavin