Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music

Unread 10-06-2019, 10:25 AM
wiganste

Iíve been given a freemanís and Iím probably still not gonna bother

Unread 10-06-2019, 10:39 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Most bands I donít like, I can see why others do. This lot I havenít a clue. Music is dull. Band members are cunts irl. How have they gotten so fucking huge?

Can anyone explain why they like them? What makes them different from hundreds of others in this genre?
Love their stuff up to the black album but can't be arsed with anything they've done since
Basically the black album made them mainstream and they've kinda been shit ever since

Unread 10-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Switching Off

Phenomenal band. Seen them at the arena though, so not bothering with this shithole of a gig venue

Unread 10-06-2019, 10:50 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Simply, they write good songs.

Other than that, they spearheaded a genre and brought an otherwise niche genre of music to the masses. Their post 91 output will always be a contentious topic but there probably isn't an active band who have been responsible for more kids picking up an electric guitar than them.
They are just an Americanised rip-off of the likes Iron Maiden. Heavy Metal was a well-established genre by 1981. All bands like Metallica did was ruin it

Unread 10-06-2019, 11:29 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
They are just an Americanised rip-off of the likes Iron Maiden. Heavy Metal was a well-established genre by 1981. All bands like Metallica did was ruin it
Oh come off it. As with any genre you'll get sub genres wanting to push the envelope. Thrash comes from kids with a love of NWOBHM flirting with the punk scene and wanting to play something faster and harder. Besides you could argue Venom kicked it all off and they're pissheads from Newcastle.

Unread 10-06-2019, 11:48 AM
jaffo

I might listen to them if they weren't so monumentally naff. I mean just look at them

They're the U2 of heavy metal aren't they?

Unread 10-06-2019, 11:57 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
I might listen to them if they weren't so monumentally naff. I mean just look at them

Pretty much

Have a listen to their 80s albums when they were raw and not so mainstream
Made some great stuff

I often listen to this track when I want to get the adrenaline pumping

Unread 10-06-2019, 12:12 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Give me an example. Educate me.

I watched that documentary (what a bunch of prissy, spoilt cunts) and the music was just background noise.
Well, Master of Puppets is widely considered their magnum opus, but any of their first five albums are good to great for a variety of reasons.

I think one of the things that elevated Metallica above their peers at the time is that they seemed to place a bit more emphasis on compostion and songwriting than just playing faster/harder/darker/complexer for metals sake, this culmintated in the release of their self titled in 91 which married extreme music with mainstream appeal like never before (sell outs?) and exposed them to a whole new audience.

Also worth noting that they've always been extremely savy and innovative when it comes to the business end of things and (most) of their risks in that regard have paid off.

Last edited by TheFatGoth; 10-06-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Unread 10-06-2019, 04:46 PM
red in cumbria

Another one who has never got the hype, and I don't mind a bit of old-style metal on occasion and have never been snobbish about it.

Unread 11-06-2019, 07:40 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo