United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Other Sports & Fitness
Closed Thread

Unread 09-06-2019, 11:13 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Yep, the point is that he did lay gloves on him. The first set and obviously the second. Completely ran out of steam after that and Nadal is Nadal, so...

Unread 09-06-2019, 11:17 PM
Clownbones

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Yep, the point is that he did lay gloves on him. The first set and obviously the second. Completely ran out of steam after that and Nadal is Nadal, so...

If you consider getting a break and then losing four successive games to lose the set 6-3 laying a glove, then yes he did.

Unread 09-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Not laying gloves on someone indicates they're not competitive. Are you saying he wasn't competitive first and second sets?

PS: he won one of them

Unread 10-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Not laying gloves on someone indicates they're not competitive. Are you saying he wasn't competitive first and second sets?

PS: he won one of them
I don't think it does. I think it indicates not being able to hurt the opponent or get through, hence the boxing analogy.

If you think getting one break, but then proceeding to be broken twice is laying a glove on him then fair enough. I don't.

Players are often broken and still comfortably win sets and matches.

He played well, Nadal had to work hard, but working hard and being genuinely hurt and under threat are not the same thing. The best Thiem played was at the start of the match and didn't lead the set at any point. At no point did Nadal look like losing that first set.

And the comment was made at the end of the first set.

Unread 10-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Ethers

He didnít lead the set at any point?! He was 3-2 and a break up

Unread 10-06-2019, 08:02 AM
messhead

Unread 10-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
He didnít lead the set at any point?! He was 3-2 and a break up
Ah, yes. My apologies. He got to 3-2, but didnt even consolidate the break. Then lost 3 in a row.

I'd say getting himself 4-2 up, looking like he'll break again, drawing errors from Nadal and generally having him on the rack would constitute a real struggle or 'laying gloves' (As this phrasing caused so much issues about ten posts ago). But all the effort was to merely stay with Nadal. He was never the better player for more than a game or so. He forced Nadal to play his best stuff, but play it he did and he was comfortable doing it.

Last edited by Clownbones; 10-06-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Closed Thread