United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Music

Unread 18-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Sparky***

Christ..stories about him back in Chicago... when the schools used to get out he'd roll around to the mcdonalds in his car where the kids would hang out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Absolutely huge mate......

Reckon at one point he was baby making music for a generation....
This man knows.

R Kelly when i was back in secondary school.. along with Jodeci, Boyz 2 Men, Blackstreet etc... They were HUGE.

Unread 18-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Christ..stories about him back in Chicago... when the schools used to get out he'd roll around to the mcdonalds in his car where the kids would hang out

This man knows.

R Kelly when i was back in secondary school.. along with Jodeci, Boyz 2 Men, Blackstreet etc... They were HUGE.
Ironic that you're responding to a baby making comment with a school anecdote.

But Kelly sounds like a danger.

Unread 19-01-2019, 02:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
This man knows.

And ended up bigger than all of them. His record sales are up there with Nirvana and Bob Marley. This despite the fact that even with his soundtrack hits he never really crossed over to white audiences in America very much. The King of RnB tag has always been fair.

Unread 20-01-2019, 01:13 AM
Switching Off

Watched the first two.

That Sparkle mess crying because he abused her niece. Earlier she said she introduced them when she knew what he was like, then let her go to a party with him enabling scum.

Unread 20-01-2019, 01:21 AM
armchair

shocking how he called himself the pied piper of r&b

and literally was.

Unread 20-01-2019, 02:03 AM
ScarFace

there is a new wacko jacko doc out this year for hbo. "leaving neverland" should be fun.

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:39 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Watched the first two.

That Sparkle mess crying because he abused her niece. Earlier she said she introduced them when she knew what he was like, then let her go to a party with him enabling scum.
Yep. Whole industry knew about him and Aaliyah when she brought her niece to him.

She's releasing a single off the back of this btw.

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
And ended up bigger than all of them. His record sales are up there with Nirvana and Bob Marley. This despite the fact that even with his soundtrack hits he never really crossed over to white audiences in America very much. The King of RnB tag has always been fair.
Let's be honest, his music is for morons.

There's no Marvin Gaye/Curtis Mayfield style social commentary that I'm aware of.

I'd put him up there with Backstreet Boys for lyrical substance.

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yep. Whole industry knew about him and Aaliyah when she brought her niece to him.

She's releasing a single off the back of this btw.
Hope there's some reddit type backlash on her for it.

Unread 20-01-2019, 05:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Let's be honest, his music is for morons.

There's no Marvin Gaye/Curtis Mayfield style social commentary that I'm aware of.

I'd put him up there with Backstreet Boys for lyrical substance.
Agree about his lyrics. Always quite dull. His strength was more writing good hooks, melodies and production. Great voice too.