United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Rooney had more consistency than Ronalds for the first couple of years. But those years were arguably when Rooney was at his best as a footballer.
Than all Ronalds... in the world?

Unread 30-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I think if you asked United fans around 2005/06 season, when Rooney was in his second year and Ronaldo his third, to chose between them, the vast majority would have picked Rooney. And not just because of him being more likely to be a long-termer.

The fact Ronaldo has gone on to become a better player shouldn’t cloud the issue.
Using United fans' opinion as a barometer

A lot of the morons wanted Ronaldo sold ffs.

Rooney was more consistent until 06/07 definitely. But to say he was a "far better" player is inaccurate, Ronaldo was often inconsistent early on in the season but usually kicked on after February. His potential to be the best in the world was always obvious too. We haven't had too many players where the senior pros pass it to them and just watch them run the length of the pitch

Unread 30-06-2019, 11:41 AM
dunk

Seem to recall Ronaldo making Rooney look a right @#%&! when playing against Everton at OT...

Unread 30-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Seem to recall Ronaldo making Rooney look a right @#%&! when playing against Everton at OT...
Boxing Day match? Remember Rooney kicking off near the family stand after being given the runaround.

As for his comments, huge subbie...oh he’s a great coach...but a horrific manager. Puts Bunks in a huge quandary imo

Unread 30-06-2019, 04:32 PM
AK14

Was it Queiroz that said the difference between Rooney and Ronaldo when they were younger was one trained like he wanted to be the best ever and the other trained like he was already the best ever?

Rooney played like a seasoned pro when he was a teenager where as Ronnie looked a very promising kid. trouble was Waynes lifestyle was always going to catch up with him which is one of the reasons why he started to fade in his mid-late 20’s.

Unread 30-06-2019, 08:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Clocked it pal.

Quote:
'His tactical skills, his way of preparing and his attention to the finest of details, I found amazing. I admired that in him. I had never looked at stuff like that before.'

He added: 'Van Gaal knows that the way he works is tough for players. I made him aware of that at the time and we talked about this very well together.

'I regret how it all ended, yet I know one thing for sure - I have learnt a lot from him and I am definitely going to use those lessons for when I am a manager.'
Shame how few people at the club - and in the fanbase - saw this necessary struggle for what it was. A club shaped in Ferguson's image that could not maintain his methods without him. For Rooney to say LvG's level of detail was like nothing he'd seen shows the extent of the culture clash. United needed bringing into modern football off the pitch and on the training ground. First sign of trouble we bailed.

Unread 30-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Bunker Buster

I've had 7 £#%&!s, my two favourite people in football..

Unread 30-06-2019, 09:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Using United fans' opinion as a barometer

A lot of the morons wanted Ronaldo sold ffs.

Rooney was more consistent until 06/07 definitely. But to say he was a "far better" player is inaccurate, Ronaldo was often inconsistent early on in the season but usually kicked on after February. His potential to be the best in the world was always obvious too. We haven't had too many players where the senior pros pass it to them and just watch them run the length of the pitch
It's not a slight against Ronaldo. It's more that Rooney at 19/20 was a phenomenal player. Ronaldo wasn't. The gap was noticeable.

Unread 01-07-2019, 12:08 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Strange praise for jem and dunk but kudos for you coming out with it pal.

Unread 01-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Unread 01-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Washed my hands with him now he's gone rangers.
(God bless Ireland)

Unread 01-07-2019, 11:38 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's not a slight against Ronaldo. It's more that Rooney at 19/20 was a phenomenal player. Ronaldo wasn't. The gap was noticeable.
Wasn't taking it as a slight against Ronaldo, it's just inaccurate to say it now, just as it was then.

The consistency and maturity to Rooney's game was superior, especially pre run-in, but there was no gap in talent.

Before Rooney arrived, Ronaldo has already put in a great performance against Arsenal's unbeaten team in the FA cup semi, and made the FA cup final look like a circus.

In the following season's cup final, they were both our best players. League cup final in 06, Ronaldo excelled again ... the idea that Rooney was head and shoulders above him in ability is classic Fred (as it was on Red Issue at the time iirc)

Unread 01-07-2019, 02:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Wasn't taking it as a slight against Ronaldo, it's just inaccurate to say it now, just as it was then.

The consistency and maturity to Rooney's game was superior, especially pre run-in, but there was no gap in talent.

Before Rooney arrived, Ronaldo has already put in a great performance against Arsenal's unbeaten team in the FA cup semi, and made the FA cup final look like a circus.

In the following season's cup final, they were both our best players. League cup final in 06, Ronaldo excelled again ... the idea that Rooney was head and shoulders above him in ability is classic Fred (as it was on Red Issue at the time iirc)
I didn’t say he was head and shoulders above him in ability. Just that he was a far more productive and important player at 18/19. I do think he had more natural technical and instinctive qualities too, but the gap I’m talking about was in performance. Rooney was one of the best players in the league at 19.

Unread 13-07-2019, 08:07 AM
dunk

Unread 13-07-2019, 08:40 AM
Stickman

Didn’t Ronaldo spank the resulting free kick off his forehead?

How he escaped a red there

Unread 13-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Didn’t Ronaldo spank the resulting free kick off his forehead?

How he escaped a red there
loved prime wayne tbh.

Unread 22-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Chris Quayd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=JGS4vJVmE8M

Unread 22-08-2019, 03:55 PM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Never a red.

Unread 22-08-2019, 04:43 PM
TheFatGoth