Closed Thread

Unread 21-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Switching Off

Default Sports Illustrated Oral history of WCWs tour to North Korea in 1995

Good read.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/201...ng-north-korea

Unread 21-04-2018, 11:46 PM
TheFatGoth

Not that I even watch anymore tbh, but I do miss WCW. They were so much more colourful and just absolutely random as fuck.

Unread 21-04-2018, 11:52 PM
My Name is Heath

If you want ambassadors, you can't beat road Warrior Hawk, Crispen Wah, Scott Steiner and Ric Flair.

Just surprised they didn't drink the country dry.

I honestly think I'm a pro wrestling expert on the 80s and 90s and I had never heard of this at all.

What a life Flair has had ffs.

Unread 22-04-2018, 08:58 AM
beersexchipsgravy

Thumbs up

Good read that. Ric Flair telling Muhammad Ali "stop talking buddy"

Unread 22-04-2018, 09:22 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Not that I even watch anymore tbh, but I do miss WCW. They were so much more colourful and just absolutely random as fuck.
Halloween Havoc when Abdullah the Butcher was given the electric chair was crazy!

What was the event where they’d have two rings right next to one another?

Unread 22-04-2018, 10:00 AM
TheFatGoth

Wargames had two rings in cage.

But then there was World War 3, which was basically 60 man Battle Royal in 3 rings.

Can never fault them for their innovation tbf, even if a lot of their concepts were bobbins, at least they were willing to be different.

Unread 22-04-2018, 10:38 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Wargames had two rings in cage.

But then there was World War 3, which was basically 60 man Battle Royal in 3 rings.

Can never fault them for their innovation tbf, even if a lot of their concepts were bobbins, at least they were willing to be different.

That’s brilliant tbf

I didn’t really watch much WCW tbh, only what I had on vhs.

Unread 22-04-2018, 04:54 PM
TheFatGoth

Back when Sky was analogue, Nitro used to be on one of the German channels after Raw is War on a Friday night. Then when Sky Digital launched it was on something like Bravo at the same time. Used to switch between the two.

Channel 5 started showing WCW Worldwide when it became a highlight show - they would superimpose batman style "POW" and "BAM" graphics over chair shots etc.

Don't think they ever showed the PPVs in the UK. WCW had nowhere near the exposure WWF had over here, the games were always popular though (Revenge).

I have a vague memory of them running a disastrous tour over here in the late 90's. If I recall, none of the advertised "BIG NAMES" turned up due to combination of injury, contractual issues and laziness so they were running sold out arena shows with main events featuring the likes of Vampiro, Norman Smilie and The Nasty Boys.

Edit: Just found this via Google

Quote:
1. Hardcore Match: Norman Smiley beat Brian Knobs;
2. The Wall beat David Flair;
3. WCW T.V. Title Match: Hacksaw Jim Duggan pinned Fit Finlay;
4. Curt Hennig & Vampiro defeated Ric Flair & Lex Luger;
5. Dustin Rhodes pinned Terry Funk;
6. WCW U.S. Title Match: Booker T defeated Jeff Jarrett via D.Q.;
7. WCW Tag Team Titles Match: Big Vito & Johnny The Bull defeated The Harris Brothers.

Quote:
The crowd came to life, when Michael Buffer made his way to the ring, as we had no idea that they'd flown him over, just to introduce the main event. What could it be? Surprise appearance by Goldberg? Hollywood Hogan? Not quite. "Ladies and Gentleman, it is now time for our main event of the evening. It is for the WCW Tag Team Championship of the world......" Uh-oh... myself, and a bunch of hardcore fans around me all just looked at one another. They can't be serious.... can they? The Harris Brothers music played as they made their way to the ring. The entire crowd in the arena was deathly silent. The Harris Brothers? D.O.A.? Skull and Eight-Ball? Jacob and Eli? In the main event? Tonight? Then the tag champions, The Mamalukes, Big Vito and Johnny The Bull were introduced. Now let me just say one thing right now. I do not have a problem with any of the four guys. Big Vito is a decent wrestler. Johnny The Bull is a young guy with potential. The Harris Brothers, well, I don't particularly think they are very good wrestlers, but I would never deny anyone the right to make their living, and if they had been part of the undercard, fine. But to put this match in as the main event, two heel tag teams against one another, neither of which were particular 'over', well, this decision was totally perplexing to me.

This was the most surreal match I've ever seen. No heat whatsoever. They did hardcore wrestling spots with various objects (great - the third match of the evening to feature this). Then Ron (or was it Don) got so pissed off about the lack of crowd heat that he actually got on the house mic and yelled at us all to 'care more about this damn match'. Can you believe this? Naturally then, the boos started. Chants of 'What a Rip-off' and 'We want our money back' could be heard. By my estimates, about a quarter of the fans in attendance (roughly about 4,000 fans) left during this match. Match was bad, but that was to be expected. I think Vito pinned one of the Harris brothers after a garbage-can lid shot. After the match, people began throwing stuff at the Harris Brothers as they walked to the back. As Big Vito walked to the back, he used the f-word and swore at a fan. Johnny The Bull wasn't confrontational at all, probably because most of crowd recognised him as a young wrestler just starting out, and actually clapped him as he walked past. He gave the people I was sitting with a thumbs up, and let us touch his tag team championship belt.
Classic WCW

http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/...a/7thShow.html

Last edited by TheFatGoth; 22-04-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Closed Thread