United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-07-2020, 09:42 PM
dunk

Would imagine it’s 2 years with an option for a 3rd. Seems to be the way they do it nowadays..

Unread 05-07-2020, 09:57 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Would imagine it’s 2 years with an option for a 3rd. Seems to be the way they do it nowadays..
Never understood the 'option' clause.

Just negotiate a 1 year extension when the time comes.

Unread 05-07-2020, 10:08 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
He's a great fit for a Mourinho team...not so much for the style we seem to be moving towards.

Decent player but I just don't see him being the holding midfielder we need.
that's because at least one of you is an idiot.

how can you think that, as a defensive midfielder, he doesn't fit ole's style, particularly when his dribbling and passing are both excellent?

I hope he is sitting with garner every £#%&!ing day so he is ready to take over.

also, what it the benefit of a negotiation over an option?

Unread 05-07-2020, 10:30 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
that's because at least one of you is an idiot.

how can you think that, as a defensive midfielder, he doesn't fit ole's style, particularly when his dribbling and passing are both excellent?

I hope he is sitting with garner every £#%&!ing day so he is ready to take over.

also, what it the benefit of a negotiation over an option?
Perhaps I am the idiot but it still doesn't really make sense to me signing a player who is clearly well past his best on to another contract.

A 25 year old Matic and i'd be loving it.

And I don't understand what an option means. If it is an option for a further season on the same wages then it doesn't make sense to me. What if the club would sign him for another year but only on 75% of the previous wage but not at 100%.

Unread 05-07-2020, 10:41 PM
dunk

Quote:
Perhaps I am the idiot but it still doesn't really make sense to me signing a player who is clearly well past his best on to another contract.

A 25 year old Matic and i'd be loving it.

And I don't understand what an option means. If it is an option for a further season on the same wages then it doesn't make sense to me. What if the club would sign him for another year but only on 75% of the previous wage but not at 100%.
They don’t have to exercise the option, but can if they want. Prevents him from £#%&!ing off for free 18 months down the line in the event we want to keep him.

Unread 05-07-2020, 10:49 PM
tatty

Quote:
They don’t have to exercise the option, but can if they want. Prevents him from £#%&!ing off for free 18 months down the line in the event we want to keep him.
Not sure there would be much in the way of transfer value left.

Unread 05-07-2020, 10:57 PM
utd99

Smart decision. Bridges the gap, adds value as a mentor and can still perform excellently when called upon. So glad he didn’t leave in the Winter window.

Unread 05-07-2020, 11:05 PM
jem

Quote:
they would not activate the option, but would instead negotiate a contract for 75%.

Unread 05-07-2020, 11:07 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
they would not activate the option, but would instead negotiate a contract for 75%.
'Option' is pretty meaningless then as I thought.

I don't know if football took the terminology from the financial world where an option confers the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell.

Unread 05-07-2020, 11:20 PM
jem

Quote:
'Option' is pretty meaningless then as I thought.

I don't know if football took the terminology from the financial world where an option confers the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell.
it's not meaningless and it is very much as in the financial world. only one party has the option. united have the right to extend the contract on the current terms and matic would be locked in. that has value. if they don't want to trigger the extension, whether because they are happy for him to leave or because they want to negotiate a lower contract, that's fine. as dunk said above, it prevents him walking away as a free agent. not sure what is so hard to understand. it is an option.

Unread 05-07-2020, 11:25 PM
red in cumbria

He's clearly not going to be a regular starter for us next season, never mind in 2023. But still might be worth having around.

Unread 05-07-2020, 11:27 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it's not meaningless and it is very much as in the financial world. only one party has the option. united have the right to extend the contract on the current terms and matic would be locked in. that has value. if they don't want to trigger the extension, whether because they are happy for him to leave or because they want to negotiate a lower contract, that's fine. as dunk said above, it prevents him walking away as a free agent. not sure what is so hard to understand. it is an option.
What will he be when the contract expires? 35? What value is the club protecting? And would they realistically pay another year's top wages to a player that old?

Unread 06-07-2020, 08:22 AM
AK14

Good decision imo

He’s been one of our most important players during the unbeaten run, but we still need another option in the DM role because neither Fred or Scotty are genuine DM’s.

Unread 06-07-2020, 08:41 AM
Vedder

Deserves it, but he needs to be looked after also. Needs to be rotated or kept for the bigger games.

He’s got a lovely range of passing.

Unread 06-07-2020, 09:19 AM
jem

Quote:
What will he be when the contract expires? 35? What value is the club protecting? And would they realistically pay another year's top wages to a player that old?
that's why it's an option and not a longer contract.

Unread 06-07-2020, 10:17 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Good decision imo

He’s been one of our most important players during the unbeaten run, but we still need another option in the DM role because neither Fred or Scotty are genuine DM’s.
Thought Fred looked pretty good when he came on. Esp considering his lack of football.

Could do for the DM rotation role imo

Unread 06-07-2020, 10:22 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Thought Fred looked pretty good when he came on. Esp considering his lack of football.

Could do for the DM rotation role imo
Not sure about Fred for DM, has a tendency to get caught on the ball.

Unread 06-07-2020, 10:53 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Not sure about Fred for DM, has a tendency to get caught on the ball.
Agreed. Him and Scott Mctommyknickers are tenacious and will put a shift in going back, but they don't have the positional sense and composure of Matic.

Unread 06-07-2020, 11:17 AM
puressence

Confirmed 2023 a day later

Unread 06-07-2020, 11:24 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Ryan Giggs signs Manchester United contract extension

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16982498

It's not exactly a groundbreaking move
Closed Thread