United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:20 PM
dunk

Football Summer (?) transfer targets...

We’re in the middle of what should be batshit mental season, all is quiet, clear we need 3-4 players as a minimum. It’s been broached in various other threads, so let’s have a go.. What do you reckon? Most important areas? Targets? Who are we getting shut of?

Winger - Sancho is a given.
CB, at least one imo. I may have mentioned the lad at RB Leipzig.. The young kid at Swansea or the one at Sunderland?
Midfield.. Bakary Soumare was linked in Jan and again in June..
https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/b...hester-united/ not sure who else is an option as the new Matic...
Could do with another attacking midfielder, van der Beek, Havertz or the Argentinian lad we’ve been linked with, Almada..
Not sure about a fullback. Shaw, Williams, Dalot, AWB and Laird coming through.. was going to suggest we nick Aarons from Norwich when they go down, and Theo Hernandez from Milan could be an option as a LB. not sure what else is out there..
GK - not at all convinced by Henderson and am quickly sliding into Dave out territory...
ST - keep Ighalo and wait for someone to appear for next year imo. Greenwood is going to demand to be No.9 soon enough.

Get shut of.. TFM, Smalling, Rojo, Bailly, Jones, Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Gomes & Sanchez.

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:32 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We’re in the middle of what should be batshit mental season, all is quiet, clear we need 3-4 players as a minimum. It’s been broached in various other threads, so let’s have a go.. What do you reckon? Most important areas? Targets? Who are we getting shut of?

CB, at least one imo. I may have mentioned the lad at RB Leipzig.. The young kid at Swansea or the one at Sunderland?
https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/b...hester-united/ not sure who else cerulean work as the new Matic...
Could do with another attacking midfielder, van der Beek, Havertz or the Argentinian lad we’ve been linked with, Almada..
Not sure about a fullback. Shaw, Williams, Dalot, AWB and Laird coming through.. was going to suggest we nick Aarons from Norwich when they go down, and Theo Hernandez from Milan could be an option as a LB. not sure what else is out there..
GK - not at all convinced by Hernandez and am quickly sliding into Dave out territory...
ST - keep Ighalo and wait for someone to appear for next year imo. Greenwood is going to demand to be No.9 soon enough.

Get shut of.. TFM, Smalling, Rojo, Bailly, Jones, Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Gomes & Sanchez.
Bit surprised my log in still works to be honest but a Centre half to keep an eye on as an outside bet is Ajer at Celtic, he's the ideal age at 22, natural centre half who can play holding midfielder and all the signs are he's going to move to one of the big leagues at the end of the season, Leicester, Arsenal and Milan are supposed to be looking at him, so we'll probably dither and let Leicester sign him for £30million so we can pay £90million when he turns 25.

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:32 PM
Dr Stranger

Right sided forward
DCM
CB

Are all essential IMO.

I don't know if the Sancho thing has any legs, but if it does, that surely eats up a big wedge of the budget.

We'll need to shift some shit to get another 2 in, both of which would cost another small fortune if they're of the required standard.

Personally, I don't think he'll go for another CB.

I think we're probably limited to 2 big money signings and that's it unless we can shift all the players out that we want to, but that rarely happens.

An experienced striker wouldn't go amiss either.

Still plenty of work to do and, as ever, clearing the shit out will be as important as getting in what we need.

Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Sanchez are surely gone.

Pereira and Lingard should join them. I reckon Pereira might stay.

I'd love to get Sancho and Saul in. Can't see the latter coming.

Dunno much about this Kobayashi CB, but we need a pacey, strong CB.

I really really don't want Jack Grealish.

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:34 PM
est.1878

Sept:

"no value in the covid market"

"difficult the meet face to face with players and agents in current situation".

"we are prioritising youth progress as part of our new strategy"

"we've got alexis coming back, which is like a new signing"

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:35 PM
dunk

Forgot to say, honestly think this is the window to invest heavily. No £#%&!ing about, 3-4 top signings to strengthen the first XI.

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:37 PM
dragflick

Quote:

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/b...hester-united/ not sure who else is an option as the new Matic...
GK - not at all convinced by Hernandez and am quickly sliding into Dave out territory...

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:40 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
I typed Henderson, honestly

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:40 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

Ake - Ole told the world...

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:41 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Ake - Ole told the world...
Nah.

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Hard to disagree tbh.

Chicharito's clean sheet record is woeful.

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:44 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Hard to disagree tbh.

Chicharito's clean sheet record is woeful.

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:46 PM
utd99

Looks like our Summer policy will be haggling like Eric Idle for Sancho and rummaging around the relegation bin for bargains.

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:47 PM
ZiggyStardust

We're not signing 3 or 4 players this summer

I'd be happy with two because if sign Sancho there's not going to be a lot of funds left to sign another player

Personally along with Sancho I'd sign a younger defensive midfielder who's more athletic and quick footed than Matic
Matic is the only proper DM we have so we badly need a backup / replacement player for that position

CB would be nice but that can wait until Jan or following Summer

As for goalkeeper, since we agreed that contract at the start of the season we're stuck with him so we just have to hope Ole works his magic on him to get him back to his previous level

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:49 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Looks like our Summer policy will be haggling like Eric Idle for Sancho and rummaging around the relegation bin for bargains.

"£70m? With a poor dying Grandmother!? 70m!"

Unread 06-07-2020, 03:50 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

"£70m? With a poor dying Grandmother!? 70m!"
Don’t forget the branded gourd.

Unread 06-07-2020, 04:14 PM
puressence

One centre half if pog stays no cm right winger essential promote laird .. Hannibal will be brought in .. can see dalot Jones jesse mata moving along with smalling and alexis

Unread 06-07-2020, 04:15 PM
dunk

Hannibal is years off.

Unread 06-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Baron

Sancho is the priority for a few reasons.

We've only just started scoring enough goals, if any of the front three are out we don't have the right amount of depth to cover. I'd want Sancho for his undoubted class, he scores and assists / creates absolutely hat fulls. He's as close to a no risk signing as you could want, and it would allow us to free Mason up to go central more often also.

The kid at Brentford, Benrahma - he'd be a great signing for us as well. Mentioned him before, scored a hat-trick the other day & Brentford look close to actually being promoted to the PL ffs

We also need a striker, if Ighalo is only here til January it would be suicide to lose him for the important bit of the season. Mentioned elsewhere the two lads in Glasgow would be worth a punt imo, ideally I'd want Dembele from Lyon. I think he's the perfect age to pick up, has played in the league with success at a shit side & gone up a level there. 6' tall, scores off both feet & is decent in the air. Would be a cracking option - I have no idea how much he'd cost or if Lyon are still a pain in the arse to deal with? Presumably we got on OK with them when we sold them Memphis? Do they need any centre backs? They can have their pick...

Defensive midfield - Saul Niguez would be the dream, or potentially the new Pirlo at Brescia, Sandro Tonali. He's young, not nailed on to enjoy English football but he's just a damn classy player who looks like he has a lot of time on the ball & can dictate the game from deep. Are we really going to spend €50m on him though, suspect not & he'll go elsewhere in Italy or possibly PSG if he wants an easy life & all the money. He looks brilliant to me, wonder if he fits the profile for Ole. Either way, a player that gets his head up & passes the ball out from the back, always positive & reads the game is what I think we should have. Matic & Fred can rotate at the moment, Matic has looked far better recently after we stopped running him into the ground, although it appears he pulled his finger out around contract renewal time so... remains to be seen if he actually keeps it up. Fred is OK, good squad player - piss take he cost £50m, but that's not his fault. We'd never see that back so what is the point in getting shot now he actually looks like he can play a role for us.

Van Der Beek would be a fantastic signing, he can play in every position in midfield, if we're keeping Bruno & Pogba as first choice in there he would comfortably be able to fill in for either.

Centre back... honestly, how do we have such a collection of jokers in there to choose from? We've spent somewhere in the region of £100m on this lot & I don't want any of them:

Jones - £16m
Rojo - £16m
Lindelof - £30m
Bailly - £30m
Smalling - £10m

Lindelof can stay as the best of a bad bunch, alongside Axel for back-up, but I would happily bin the rest & hope to raise something in the region of £40m in the process. Ruben Dias at Benfica is surely finally moving this summer, a mate for Bruno would be good & the guy looks immense, stays on his feet & can ping a pass as well, not to mention steams in on corners.

It's clear that CL football is absolutely essential to us to get the money back in the club as well as attract the players that know there will be enough games to go around of sufficient quality. Woodward took out a £140m loan, if that isn't going on players it's probably a clear indicator that we are back in the shit unless CL football is available. We need to spend whatever the new equivalent of £200m is, if the market is genuinely corrected then we could get the 4-5 players we need. But I guess when you see Inter spending €40m on a fullback.... maybe nothing has changed.

Unread 06-07-2020, 04:23 PM
jem

Quote:
oh, timmeh. how much have you seen of him?

smallers.... just why? still our best defender.

pereira is a good squadie.

wouldn't miss the rest of them.

Unread 06-07-2020, 04:25 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
oh, timmeh. how much have you seen of him?

smallers.... just why? still our best defender.

pereira is a good squadie.

wouldn't miss the rest of them.
More than you probably.

Barely played in 2 years now. Move him on for his own good.
Closed Thread