United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-07-2023, 01:27 PM
Baron

Football Tactics & culture - Fluminense & the rejection of the European game

Stumbled over this video a few days ago, tells the story of how Brazilian side Fluminense have the weirdest tactics in football - and yet it is working.

They went from a joke to winning trophies & have a very peculiar tactical set-up compared to the current European positional approach (of which ETH is a big proponent so it's got some good insight into how we should be playing next season now we have a few better players that can pass it).

The end of the video concludes with the cultural impact of football, politics & authority and why Brazil should be looking to reclaim their identity rather than bending over & trying to replicate what is happening this side of the world.

Worth 12min of your time. Bonus points for no shit music.

Unread 01-08-2023, 08:26 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Stumbled over this video a few days ago, tells the story of how Brazilian side Fluminense have the weirdest tactics in football - and yet it is working.

They went from a joke to winning trophies & have a very peculiar tactical set-up compared to the current European positional approach (of which ETH is a big proponent so it's got some good insight into how we should be playing next season now we have a few better players that can pass it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IevycgbLct0&t=656s

The end of the video concludes with the cultural impact of football, politics & authority and why Brazil should be looking to reclaim their identity rather than bending over & trying to replicate what is happening this side of the world.

Worth 12min of your time. Bonus points for no shit music.
been on my watchlist for ages, finally got round to it.

genuinely fascinating. would love to know if it could be successful in Europe.

I think guardiola, as much as we hate him, has been massively innovative. but his style a) is very robotic and b) has been endless copied, to the point where top level football can be very boring.

would love to see more variety in how the top teams play, and more scope for individuality to flourish.

Unread 01-08-2023, 08:27 PM
armchair

He did a follow up about it making it to europe. only malmo thusfar

Unread 01-08-2023, 08:32 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
been on my watchlist for ages, finally got round to it.

genuinely fascinating. would love to know if it could be successful in Europe.

I think guardiola, as much as we hate him, has been massively innovative. but his style a) is very robotic and b) has been endless copied, to the point where top level football can be very boring.

would love to see more variety in how the top teams play, and more scope for individuality to flourish.
There will always be “trends” in football. I genuinely believe when the game moves on he will be viewed in the way we view Mourinho now. He has no plan b. It’s what makes Sir Alex stand above all imo - he constantly adapted as the game evolved.

It’s worth noting that Guardiola goes full on Karen whenever teams play the way he doesn’t like and they get a result against City. Starts whining about how that’s not the way the game should be played etc. It’s because there are ways of countering City’s set up. Believe it or not I thought Ole sussed him out pretty well. We had a decent record against City under him, with an incredibly disjointed team in comparison to theirs.

Unread 01-08-2023, 08:40 PM
dunk

Ganso = van der Beek

Good to see the lad get some props, he was the Mascherano to Neymar's Tevez in the good old days

I'm all for this, get that robotic shit out of our game asap.

Unread 01-08-2023, 08:51 PM
suedeshoes

Saw them at Old Trafford in the 80's. Can't remember why we played them. Think Flamengo pulled out. Don't know why we're going to play them either

Unread 01-08-2023, 08:58 PM
pedr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
There will always be “trends” in football. I genuinely believe when the game moves on he will be viewed in the way we view Mourinho now. He has no plan b. It’s what makes Sir Alex stand above all imo - he constantly adapted as the game evolved.

It’s worth noting that Guardiola goes full on Karen whenever teams play the way he doesn’t like and they get a result against City. Starts whining about how that’s not the way the game should be played etc. It’s because there are ways of countering City’s set up. Believe it or not I thought Ole sussed him out pretty well. We had a decent record against City under him, with an incredibly disjointed team in comparison to theirs.
true and you have to factor in the money spent. but he's still innovating tbh. city don't set up like his Barca team from 10-15 years ago. his full back into central midfield wheeze is now being copied by everyone.

Unread 01-08-2023, 09:01 PM
armchair

Seems a bit open to counter-attacks when you lose the ball and suddenly 7 men are out of the game.

Unread 01-08-2023, 09:16 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
true and you have to factor in the money spent. but he's still innovating tbh. city don't set up like his Barca team from 10-15 years ago. his full back into central midfield wheeze is now being copied by everyone.
To all intents and purposes it’s the exact same style of football imo. The only thing he’s really taken onboard recently is getting an actual centre forward in. The fullbacks at Barca used to maraud into midfield regularly - part of Barca’s whole “identity” is the total football approach where players will fill in at different positions etc.

It’s still the same football - over-emphasis on possession to the point where you find it dull to watch, waiting for teams to get frustrated/tired and make a mistake before they pounce. They were lucky to win the CL final - Inter’s set up was perfect but they just didn’t have the quality to make it count.

He’s drained the fun out of the game. Enrique’s treble winning Barca side were more entertaining than Guardiola’s.
Closed Thread