United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-04-2020, 12:14 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm
The very nature of sport is its unpredictable. So it's impossible to say Celtic and the vermin will definitely win the league, it's just highly likely.

You don't just stop the event when it's a foregone conclusion. As I like to point out to Liverpool fans in particular, it's like saying why did they bother playing the second half of the 2005 Champions League final.
Yeah, I have no idea why they bothered with injury time in 99 either

Unread 29-04-2020, 12:27 PM
Pop

https://www.juvefc.com/dybala-still-...-for-covid-19/

Juventus forward Paulo Dybala has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 for the fourth time, according to reports from Itaian and Spanish media.

Unread 29-04-2020, 12:29 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstool
Surely next season is likely to be hit by stoppages. This thing isn't going away that easily.

We are going to end up with two half seasons, both cancelled (which admittedly would be funny if Liverpool lost out twice).

But surely the fairest thing would be to cancel next season, and finish this season off in the new year. Same with Champions league and Europa League.

If there is the opportunity to play more games, we could still have the 20/21 domestic cups, maybe also a slimmed down CL/EL. Just not a full proper season.

Start again properly for the 21/22 season.
I think that’s what’ll happen tbh.

Just can’t see any football (or many sports) being played for a while and they’ll look to restart the season after Xmas (possibly use Xmas for pre season etc?).

Obviously I’d much prefer the season to be scrapped and then look to starting a new season when possible, but as you’ve pointed out there’s a possibility that next season will be stop-start.

Tbh I haven’t missed football and the way the people running EPL/main broadcasters and pundits have dealt with all of this has left a nasty taste in the mouth imo.

United have been great though.

Unread 29-04-2020, 12:57 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
https://www.juvefc.com/dybala-still-...-for-covid-19/

Juventus forward Paulo Dybala has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 for the fourth time, according to reports from Itaian and Spanish media.
Fancy going out and catching it four times. Stay inside ffs

Unread 29-04-2020, 05:24 PM
92ToBury

Take where the teams are now, average their points across their past five league games and award them a multiple of that average by the number of games remaining. Takes current form and games left into consideration.

Conveniently that would leave us in 3rd, but that's just happy coincidence.

Unread 29-04-2020, 05:44 PM
Switching Off

Fairest is to just void it all. Nobody is being favoured, everybody treated equally. You dont win anything in sport till you actually win it.

Unread 29-04-2020, 06:16 PM
JamesPolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
I don't buy that

I think the PL and the FA have lost their grip on reality

How can you be in touch with the real world when you're in a business that pays 20-odd year old men 100-200k a week and they live like characters out of Fortnite.

It's in a bubble

They've created a financial chain reaction and they need money
And all that thanks to the Bosman ruling in 1995. Although we didn't see the full danger of that ruling until Roman arrived in 2003.

Unread 29-04-2020, 06:18 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Link?
Front page of the Sun, one of their client papers, the other day? There's no way they run a story like that without the government's say so.

Unread 29-04-2020, 06:19 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPolk
And all that thanks to the Bosman ruling in 1995. Although we didn't see the full danger of that ruling until Roman arrived in 2003.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Marc_Bosman

Just read up on him...

I remember it well, bit of a grizzly outcome for him.

Unread 29-04-2020, 06:21 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

Just read up on him...

Yeah, he's certainly paid a price for sticking to his guns.

Unread 29-04-2020, 06:23 PM
JamesPolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Fairest is to just void it all. Nobody is being favoured, everybody treated equally. You dont win anything in sport till you actually win it.
Here is an example of voided seaons in English football: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939%E...ootball_League

So they cannot act like there is no example of what should be done.

SO there is no question all Leagues should be voided n my mind the only debate that should be taking place is if football resumes the debate should be be whether its viable to play the remaining FA cup games considering that there only Quarterfinals, Semi finals and Final left and clubs droops like flies in th cup.

Unread 29-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPolk
Here is an example of voided seaons in English football: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939%E...ootball_League

So they cannot act like there is no example of what should be done.

SO there is no question all Leagues should be voided n my mind the only debate that should be taking place is if football resumes the debate should be be whether its viable to play the remaining FA cup games considering that there only Quarterfinals, Semi finals and Final left and clubs droops like flies in th cup.
Would still play the FA Cup and have the final in place of the charity Shield. Just to wind them up tbh.

Unread 30-04-2020, 08:48 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Front page of the Sun, one of their client papers, the other day? There's no way they run a story like that without the government's say so.
So the Sun is now a reputable source? despite you attacking the source of EVERY story you don't agree with. you're a joke pal

Quote:
UK government warns sport not to expect quick return to action
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...he-green-light

Unread 30-04-2020, 11:44 AM
AK14

Unread 30-04-2020, 11:47 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
So the Sun is now a reputable source? despite you attacking the source of EVERY story you don't agree with. you're a joke pal

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...he-green-light
Christ on a bike. You slap riccers down for moaning about sources then quote the Graun.

Unread 30-04-2020, 01:06 PM
suedeshoes

Been sent this from a decent source. I know a regular PL photographer who has been asked about his availability. Don't shoot the messenger etc...

Premier league is back in June. I have a lead from someone who works for a sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). The company has been tasked to arrange hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may.

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at st georges park behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live.

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Unread 30-04-2020, 01:07 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Been sent this from a decent source. I know a regular PL photographer who has been asked about his availability. Don't shoot the messenger etc...

Premier league is back in June. I have a lead from someone who works for a sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). The company has been tasked to arrange hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may.

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at st georges park behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live.

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.
Guarantee at least one player gets it. What then?

Unread 30-04-2020, 01:14 PM
tatty

Quote:

Just read up on him...

Hundreds of millions of pounds have flowed in to players pockets in part because of Bosman.

It would have happened anyway but you’d think there would be a whip round.

Unread 30-04-2020, 01:18 PM
ryanMUFC

Still think it’s quite risky. There’s probably a lot of pressure by the suits at the top because of tv payments and sponsorship but if this leads to a death of a player, official or their families from the decision then they’ll have blood on their hands.

(Though you could argue that their profits would exceed any potential lawsuits If this happened).

Unread 30-04-2020, 01:21 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Hundreds of millions of pounds have flowed in to players pockets in part because of Bosman.

It would have happened anyway but you’d think there would be a whip round.
He'll only spend it on booze the drunk bastard.
Closed Thread