United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-01-2007, 05:30 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
During the World Cup, Hargreaves seemed to both retain and use the ball too much greater effect then those "superstar, world class" english midfielders gerrard & lampard. In fact, he's probably the only player in that england team that looked any good, never mind world class!

They guy has all the attributes our midfield needs. I'll be much happier going into the 2nd half of the season with him in the squad. Excellent player, has to be brought in!
One of the biggest phenomenons in football is the guy who plays well in an international tournament, gets a big move - and then fails to reproduce anything like the same form.

Obviously Hargreaves has some pedigree before the World Cup, but I’d be wary of getting too carried away on his performances in Germany.

I reckon if we'd been chasing Hargreaves this time last year for 17m - the consensus on this board would be pretty different. I used to visit Red Issue last season, and I don't remember anyone pushing for Hargreaves at any price back then.

Unread 06-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

No-one can really say how a Carrick Hargreaves centre mid would work for United. As for my team if he signed? Pretty much as it is now, except with greater possibilities to keep the ageing limbs of Nev Scholes and Giggs a breather more often. There's also the fact we don't see these players (Giggs and Scholes esp.) in training day in day out and so we don't really know just how close to an Indian Summer this season represents for them in the manager's expert eye.

Worth a bit extra to get Hargreaves training and playing amongst this current squad asap? I'd say so.

Unread 06-01-2007, 05:45 PM
MUFC One Love

S/Side, recommendations please.

You're saying it's a gamble yet you'll happily go on about Mascherano (probably) and how he would be great etc.

Unread 06-01-2007, 06:28 PM
S/Side.Red

Well, I think Mascherano is a better player than Hargreaves - but I wouldn't sign him for 17m now, as I wouldn't spend that kind of money on someone when I wouldn't change the starting eleven.

I may have signed him ahead of Carrick in the summer, but now that Carrick is here and playing to a decent degree with Scholes - I don't think we need to spend 17m on a midfielder if we're sticking with 4-4-2. I'd much rather get someone who can just add a bit of cover when Scholes and Carrick are unavailable.

For this I don't have the advantage that Fergie has of knowing who is available and for what price. It's easy to throw names and figures around without any real substance to them.

If we are to play 4-3-3 in the future and another midfielder of high quality is needed, then I'd look at offering the 17m-odd for someone like De Rossi.

Unread 06-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Luffy

everyone should realise by now I enjoy a nice wum mixed in with some semi-serious football debate, so lets not get personal now! Just dont fall for the bait

I am the opposite of the big name fan - I preferthe young prospects and nurture them into stars, I'm probably Rossi's biggest fan on here and have more interest in what quality youngsters we get than anything. Stop making snap judgements based on the fact I think Hargreaves won't win us championships alongside Carrick. People complain that my posts are long, I find myself having to cover as many openings and nuances as possible cos someone somewhere will misunderstand and shoot me down on an irrelevant assumption.

I was also very vocal about how we should stay the £#%&! away from Tevez, Deco, Riquelme and all these other top players we have been linked with.

Unread 06-01-2007, 06:38 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
No-one can really say how a Carrick Hargreaves centre mid would work for United. As for my team if he signed? Pretty much as it is now, except with greater possibilities to keep the ageing limbs of Nev Scholes and Giggs a breather more often. There's also the fact we don't see these players (Giggs and Scholes esp.) in training day in day out and so we don't really know just how close to an Indian Summer this season represents for them in the manager's expert eye.

Worth a bit extra to get Hargreaves training and playing amongst this current squad asap? I'd say so.
I guess, for me, it comes down to how much money we have. I'm all for 17m on Hargreaves if we still have plenty left over in the summer/next year.

van Der Sar, Neville, Scholes, Giggs and Saha are all going to need replacing in the next couple of years. I've seen nothing since the Glazers took over to suggest a spending spree is on the cards. So I'd rather not be overpaying for a guy who wouldn't get in my team, personally.
Closed Thread