United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:35 PM
marlo

most players going broke are ones just before the big 'boom' in salaries.

the average players on 3-4m net now (welbeck and co) will struggle to go broke. the players in the top bracket (6/7m net) its almost impossible.

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanMao
Although I do have some sympathy with the view that if you're earning millions to start with losing them by trying to make more millions through investments rather than just sticking it in the £#%&!ing bank is sort of your own fault.
What they're doing is not really investing though - it's speculating, and wildly at that. Anything that is a 'deal' - a business deal, and land deal - isn't real investing. Investing is boring and it only pays off many years down the road, so most footballers don't do it.

You'd be incredibly stupid to just stick a large amount of money in the bank. The power of compounding interest means you can easily and safely make millions more by proper investing.

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Rietveld

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
most players going broke are ones just before the big 'boom' in salaries.

the average players on 3-4m net now (welbeck and co) will struggle to go broke. the players in the top bracket (6/7m net) its almost impossible.
John Terry was reportedly broke a few years ago. There were stories in the press of him beng bailed out of debt by a loan from Chelsea FC. At one point he was meant to be the highest earner at the club. What a dick.

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
its quite astonishing tbh.

some of the players are really on real big cash....its a accomplishment in its self.
Even the ones who were on modest salaries back in the early 2000's were still taking home £20k a week after tax. That's 80k a month ffs. After your mortgage what the hell can you possibly find to do that costs that much? Aside from bad habits?

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Even the ones who were on modest salaries back in the early 2000's were still taking home £20k a week after tax. That's 80k a month ffs. After your mortgage what the hell can you possibly find to do that costs that much? Aside from bad habits?
A yacht. A jet. A £#%&! pad. The subsequent divorce.

The list is endless.

Marlo's got watches worth more than your car ffs.

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:53 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

The list is endless.

This daft @#%&! has only got some records and a gaudy van though. He be alright if he had some watches to sell.

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:55 PM
plopborsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rietveld
John Terry was reportedly broke a few years ago. There were stories in the press of him beng bailed out of debt by a loan from Chelsea FC. At one point he was meant to be the highest earner at the club. What a dick.
you see its not about being a dick. Its all very simple in relative terms. 10k becomes 100 quid and all you are doing is moving up the food chain and trying to keep up with those around you earning the big money. It's like us saying i earn more than i ever have and i dont have anymore money than i did a few years ago. We all just find new ways to spend it.

Just because you can kick a ball it does not make you financially savvy

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:57 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
How the £#%&! any modern day footballer can go bankrupt is beyond me.
Why so surprised? He could never save anything anyway ....

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
This daft @#%&! has only got some records and a gaudy van though. He be alright if he had some watches to sell.
Probably did 500K in on his slappers' coke/handbag habits.

Not to mention: 'me mam's gonna lose her house'

:shakehead:

Unread 05-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

The list is endless.

Is Marlo a footballer?

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:00 PM
jem

Quote:
founding orphanages? cancer research? building affordable property?

100 other things.

put it in the bank? ffs. that will only make bankers rich.

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Cream

Quote:
Is Marlo a footballer?
Is that a rhetorical question?

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:01 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
founding orphanages? cancer research? building affordable property?

100 other things.

put it in the bank? ffs. that will only make bankers rich.
Those bastards?

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:02 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
you see its not about being a dick. Its all very simple in relative terms. 10k becomes 100 quid and all you are doing is moving up the food chain and trying to keep up with those around you earning the big money. It's like us saying i earn more than i ever have and i dont have anymore money than i did a few years ago. We all just find new ways to spend it.

Just because you can kick a ball it does not make you financially savvy
exactly. the more you earn the more you spend. Doesn't mean you have loads of money to save! You rent a bigger house, you drive a more expensive car, drink in more expensive bars... spend more on nights out.

my income has gone up loads over the last few years but so have my expenses... costs me about £900 for my flat and car every month compared to around £400 a year ago

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:02 PM
irk

Quote:
Is Marlo a footballer?
I thought he was a groupie?

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:04 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
I thought he was a groupie?

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:08 PM
signed dc

bet he regrets giving his fee for all those Observer columns to charity now

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
exactly. the more you earn the more you spend. Doesn't mean you have loads of money to save! You rent a bigger house, you drive a more expensive car, drink in more expensive bars... spend more on nights out.

my income has gone up loads over the last few years but so have my expenses... costs me about £900 for my flat and car every month compared to around £400 a year ago
You'll never convince Sparky.

'Ohh Sparky dear, Bentley are having a sale.... and look, two bedrooms plus maid's quarters in Mayfair for just 2 million!'

'Is it/the house/she heavily discounted by a member of my family?'

'No...'

'Then I fail to see the attraction'.

You'll not see him swapping red bull for Bollinger any time soon, either.

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
the gaudi van must be worth a few quid tbf

Unread 05-11-2014, 04:12 PM
jem

Quote:
I don't know..... one minute sparkles is larging it up about his amg; the next, he's the people's champion and all property is theft. doubt he'll be handing out free rides any time soon, but still..... he's not greedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
Why so surprised? He could never save anything anyway ....
unique.
Closed Thread