United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-06-2020, 12:38 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Tbf, we’re still competing for silverware this season..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
he’s at the very least laying the foundations and actually has a “philosophy”. he’s identified the direction this club should be headed and is doing everything to get things going.

we’re in with a shout for the fa cup and europa. win at least one of those and get top four (or top five, thanks city ) and it’ll have turned out to be a pretty good season
I meant top-tier silverware, Dunkles and Magnificohs! Let's hope City get an extension on their ban for not manning up to it

Unread 26-06-2020, 01:34 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
I meant top-tier silverware, Dunkles and Magnificohs! Let's hope City get an extension on their ban for not manning up to it
most players in this team have yet to reach their peak, can’t wait until they do

Unread 26-06-2020, 03:26 PM
BarryX

Quote:
most players in this team have yet to reach their peak, can’t wait until they do
Was thinking that as well. Would be incredibly satisfying to see them continue to mature and bond as a group. Weren't we the youngest average starting first team in the PL prior to lockdown?

Unread 26-06-2020, 08:58 PM
Swagger

Quote:
said before this season began that i was expecting a couple of years of further mediocrity and was willing to accept it as this young team starts to gel under ole.

this team has done better than i expected this season. ole is definitely on to something, nqat.
Couldn't imagine any Real Madrid fan saything this.

You expected us to achieve our lowest points total in the PL history?

Unread 26-06-2020, 09:33 PM
ZiggyStardust

There’s still a big question mark over whether he’s good enough to get us to win PLs and compete seriously in the CL again because he’s never done it before in management
Until he does then that question mark will remain
The advantage Klopp had when he went to Liverpool was he already had his work at Dortmund to show that he could manage a team to do that

However for the first time since Fergie we’re finally on the right path and clear progress is being made
I think we have 2/3 of a side capable of winning the biggest trophies in place
Definitely need a top class wide right forward and defensive midfielder
Question marks over centre forward, CB beside Maguire and the full backs but they could be answered by players we already have

Unread 26-06-2020, 09:53 PM
armchair

I think he's underestimated. People fall into the trap of him smiling means he's weak but he had the nickname, the smiling assassin, for a reason. I think he's an incredibly strong character.

Unread 26-06-2020, 10:04 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I think he's underestimated. People fall into the trap of him smiling means he's weak but he had the nickname, the smiling assassin, for a reason. I think he's an incredibly strong character.
This. He knows what’s required and who can and who can’t. People were ridiculous expecting an immediate about-face from the squad and taking his press facing positivity at face value. He’s the anti-Jose. Absolutely perfect for this moment in time.

Unread 26-06-2020, 10:24 PM
History

If has another great transfer window post season. We could be a very serious threat again.

Top 4, F.A cup and Europa league cup incoming

£#%&!ing in.

Unread 26-06-2020, 10:29 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Too right

Seen us through probably our lowest point in years, seen off some absolute dross from the dressing room, getting the best out of the two young lads upfront, signed well, introduced some promising youth and got us playing with intent for the first time in years with what looks like some sort of plan (that isn't all out defense or sideways passing the opponent into submission.)

Unread 04-07-2020, 06:38 PM
armchair

Love how brutally he's treating lingard.

The kid was launching a clothing brand and now where is he?

Unread 04-07-2020, 06:42 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
This.

Look at who he has sold. He's been more ruthless than any manager since Fergie.

Knows exactly what he wants and isn't afraid to marginalise or sell decent players that don't fit in.

Unread 04-07-2020, 06:47 PM
Sapien

Quote:

Unread 04-07-2020, 06:57 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

He gave him enough chances. But the bloke is what about 27/28 now? He's reached his level, not good enough.

Unread 04-07-2020, 07:10 PM
Neo

Football

He's doing everything right, and the two most important things he's done are getting a raft of quality signings in whilst dumping the deadwood, and getting the team playing winning football with a Manchester United identity again.

It's actually shocked me how effective he's been at getting the right players in. Van Gaal and Mourinho are two of the best managers that the game has ever seen, and Ole has completely outshone both of them when it comes to recruitment.

Unread 04-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
He's doing everything right, and the two most important things he's done are getting a raft of quality signings in whilst dumping the deadwood, and getting the team playing winning football with a Manchester United identity again.

It's actually shocked me how effective he's been at getting the right players in. Van Gaal and Mourinho are two of the best managers that the game has ever seen, and Ole has completely outshone both of them when it comes to recruitment.

100% shocking how bad van gaal and Mou were with their squad management. That they took so long (and perhaps never actually worked out) players like lingard is staggering for top class managers.

Ole’s come in and done what most of us wanted to see for years.

I’m concerned about James still but everything else has been decent and in the case of Bruno, exceptional. Schneiderlin and schwinestiger

Unread 04-07-2020, 07:19 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Van Gaal's scattergun approach was mystifying tbh.

Mourinho - well we knew what he'd go for. Experience, power etc.

But yeah it sounds like the manager and the backroom staff (like fergie before them) actually bother to find out what kind of characters they're getting into the team.

Unread 04-07-2020, 07:30 PM
Neo

Van Gaal was on the right track in terms of implementing a dominant, possession-based style, whilst promoting some good youth lads, but he made the mistake of bringing in the wrong experienced pros in players like Schweinsteiger, Falcao and Di Maria, and despite winning the FA Cup, the progress wasn't quick enough. Still, he bought in some good players in Martial, Shaw, Romero and Blind. Shaw hasn't been the same since his injury, and Blind would probably be the first-choice CB with Maguire under Ole.

Mourinho on the other hand was just an absolute horror show by the end. He'd dragged United down to such a low that the entire club felt toxic. It looks like Spurs are heading the same way. The bloke is absolute poison.

Ole definitely picking up the reigns from LvG by bringing the kids through, and no doubt Carrick has been influenced heavily by the Big Man, too.

Unread 04-07-2020, 08:42 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Ole definitely picking up the reigns from Fergie by bringing the kids through, and no doubt Carrick has been influenced heavily by the Big Man, too.
Corrected.

Unread 04-07-2020, 11:13 PM
red in cumbria

Yeah, the LvG stans are becoming amusing at this stage.

Unread 04-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yeah, the LvG stans are becoming amusing at this stage.
Pretty embarrassing Cse wumming tbh.

What I do think though is that Fergie’s huge influence on Ole is worth shouting about. Everything that I admire about this team has Fergie’s imprint on it. Not van gaal, not Mou - just pure Ferguson. 100% united. That’s the reason why it’s exciting.
Closed Thread