United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Not being snide if by that you mean mischievous. I genuinely find him and his football boring.

Sometimes less so than others but generally, I feel very meh about United atm.

Hopefully it will improve - there are positive signs it will but it feels a bit glacial.

Tbf lvg's assistant thinks it's boring too. There's simply no way that everyone of gigg's mates would be wading in like they do without gigg's buy in.
Shows how £#%&!ing pointless it is him being part of the coaching set up then. £#%&! him off, £#%&! sentiment.

Unread 19-11-2015, 11:05 AM
andyroo

Do you actually think this is "his football" - that what we're getting now is exactly what he wants?

Unread 19-11-2015, 11:07 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Shows how £#%&!ing pointless it is him being part of the coaching set up then. £#%&! him off, £#%&! sentiment.
Agree wholeheartedly. Simply no point having a snide bomb on the sidelines - you have to either subscribe to lvg's philosophy or not be involved. There aren't any grey areas it seems. Giggs should £#%&! off and concentrate on his property empire building and perhaps managing Salford city.

Don't want lvg gone, just find it all very dull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Do you actually think this is "his football" - that what we're getting now is exactly what he wants?
No. But it feels like he constrains players natural instincts and that his approach is very regimented. He falls out with people if they don't follow or subscribe to his rules. It feels very headmastery. Not to suggest it won't and can't improve though.

Unread 19-11-2015, 11:31 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Agree wholeheartedly. Simply no point having a snide bomb on the sidelines - you have to either subscribe to lvg's philosophy or not be involved. There aren't any grey areas it seems. Giggs should £#%&! off and concentrate on his property empire building and perhaps managing Salford city.

Don't want lvg gone, just find it all very dull.

No. But it feels like he constrains players natural instincts and that his approach is very regimented. He falls out with people if they don't follow or subscribe to his rules. It feels very headmastery. Not to suggest it won't and can't improve though.

What a bastard.

Unread 19-11-2015, 11:39 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

What a bastard.
You suggesting lvg and fergies approach is the same pal?

Unread 19-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Crumps

Quote:
I terms of their way or the highway then yes absolutely. '

Unread 19-11-2015, 11:44 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
No i'm suggesting that they're both strict disciplinarians and as such it's an odd criticism to make.

Unread 19-11-2015, 12:14 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
To being the boss, having the ultimate say - identical.

Unread 19-11-2015, 12:54 PM
My Name is Keith

Both harsh Disciplinarians generally but different on field approaches to discipline from my reading of it.

Not an odd observation at all tbf.

Unread 19-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Tbf lvg's assistant thinks it's boring too. There's simply no way that everyone of gigg's mates would be wading in like they do without gigg's buy in.
How I long for those 4 games where Giggs removed the shackles of moyes.

Other than telling them to take risks and enjoy themselves, Giggs and scholes haven't a clue how to build a team to play exciting attacking football. Watching them in that documentary where they were selecting the team was embarrassing.

Unread 19-11-2015, 04:07 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
No i'm suggesting that they're both strict disciplinarians and as such it's an odd criticism to make.
Yep. Some of the players Fergie £#%&!ed off because he had a bit of a disagreement with

Unread 19-11-2015, 04:28 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Yep. Some of the players Fergie £#%&!ed off because he had a bit of a disagreement with
Not sure if you're deliberately misunderstanding the point or just disagree with it but do you think Fergie's and lvg's approach to on field discipline was the same?

By that I mean players having very tightly defined roles and responsibilities?

Unread 19-11-2015, 05:36 PM
PeakyBlinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
£#%&! off and support reading you dick
Shock...

Unread 19-11-2015, 06:14 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
In some ways, yes. But not in others. I saw a video of Rio talking about this issue the other day:

Personally I think he's being harsh. I think he does want creative players to express themselves in the final third. You can cite the extent to which players such as Bergkamp, Rivaldo, Figo and Robben launched/peaked in their careers under Van Gaal. Lads like Memphis and Robben wouldn't adore the manager the way they do if he didn't understand them. Look at the freedom Lingard is playing with.

It's no excuse for Di Maria, imo.

On the other hand, he makes the point that Ferguson dug him out about being too expansive playing out from the back. Van Gaal will not do that. Smalling will be encouraged to keep trying to be Baresi. So you have Rio, one of the most talented footballing centre-halves, being curbed in his expression, and Smalling who has nothing like the same ability, being encouraged. Different styles, but both managers have their risks and their points of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
How I long for those 4 games where Giggs removed the shackles of moyes.

Other than telling them to take risks and enjoy themselves, Giggs and scholes haven't a clue how to build a team to play exciting attacking football. Watching them in that documentary where they were selecting the team was embarrassing.
You'd have thought after the suffering of Moysie that those games under Giggs would have been sweet release for the players, who would go and play with joy and freedom. Instead we got that home defeat to Sunderland which was as bad as anything under Moyes. Should have been an insight for Giggsy and Scholes (who seemed to sit in silence on the bench throughout) that it's not as simple as wanting attacking football - you have to build it.

That's the point Van Gaal is making with the references to his past (as well as the fact that he's probably often asked about it). He's really advocating patience and trust in his long-term aims. He's bemoaned the lack of tempo in games; he's even bemoaned the lack of instinctive play in the final third. Yet he's still often accused of favouring slow, robotic football. I really think it's just a phase the team must go through to become more structured

Unread 19-11-2015, 07:17 PM
puressence

Can't wait for lvg to shut the c***s up moaning

I'd imagine had Rio been 10 years younger he would have been like baresi under Van gaal

Unread 19-11-2015, 08:14 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Can't wait for lvg to shut the c***s up moaning
Me too pal, me too - a few of the sages suggest that perhaps next season is when we might see us push on so maybe not too much more moaning? Perhaps some more transfers in Jan or the summer too.

Exciting times!

Unread 19-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Tiberian

So, we can judge Giggs and his potential quality as a manager on 4 games? Oh, and an edited tv programme.

The squad he had, was it the talented but under achieving group that Moyes wasted or the pile of irradiated shite that LVG inherited?

Unread 19-11-2015, 08:37 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
So, we can judge Giggs and his potential quality as a manager on 4 games? Oh, and an edited tv programme.
If he really has what it takes to manage United right now, even those thin pickings would have provided at least a bit of compelling evidence.

They didn't, really.

Unread 19-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
If he really has what it takes to manage United right now, even those thin pickings would have provided at least a bit of compelling evidence.

They didn't, really.
He was not ready, he was still a player ffs, dealing with the end of his playing career while being little more than a stand in at the end of an appalling season.

I doubt he will be a successful manager in the long run, few great players are, but that spell was close to meaningless imo.

Unread 19-11-2015, 09:12 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
He was not ready, he was still a player ffs, dealing with the end of his playing career while being little more than a stand in at the end of an appalling season.

I doubt he will be a successful manager in the long run, few great players are, but that spell was close to meaningless imo.
Yeah it was a silly comparison. I think someone (Jammers Dodgers?) was trying to make the point that this attacking football everyone says they want to see isn't just a matter of willpower. Or conversely that van Gaal isn't out to harsh our buzz just to spite us like some of these antis seem to think.
Closed Thread