Yep, I'm so bored with 9 goals in the last 3 games

Unread 26-09-2015, 07:19 PM
believe

We're feeding them just want they want

Unread 26-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I see BBC are already off with how poor the league is if a side like us are top of it

So it's the best league in the world when we're not top and the worst league in years when we are
Yep, been that way for years.

Unread 26-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Yep, been that way for years.
We could do the treble and everyone would put it down to the standard being poor across the continent.

Unread 26-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Sparky***

Let's face it with the teams we've played in these opening fixtures, we should be sitting on maximum points.

Unread 26-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Let's face it with the teams we've played in these opening fixtures, we should be sitting on maximum points.
In a perfect world yeah. Started the season without Martial, nearly half a team of new players, one senior centre half fit and the DDG saga in full swing

Unread 26-09-2015, 10:41 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
I don't particularly rate him, but with Fellaini available against Newcastle we win. With DdG at Swansea, a draw at least.

Unread 27-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Darmian_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
On. Winning it due to dull football and Louis' big knackers
What's the point of entertainment if we lose? Apart from 2006-07 and some parts of 2007-08 season I cannot remember a season we played better than what we are playing now.

SAF's style was all about counter attacking, he rarely dominated possession like we do right now(may be only against low level teams we dominated possesion). We are heading towards the direction of Ajay, Barca and Bayern, a possession based patient approach towards winning. I'm all for that.

Unread 27-09-2015, 01:25 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmian_fan
What's the point of entertainment if we lose? Apart from 2006-07 and some parts of 2007-08 season I cannot remember a season we played better than what we are playing now.
Give over.

Unread 27-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I can't remember a United team that rotated possession and held the ball for as long as this one, but I certainly have seen plenty that played more adventurous and thrilling football.

I agree with you though, that was then and this is now. You can't keep constantly harking back to the past at old teams and saying that "this is the way United play". No, that's the way Alex Ferguson's or Ron Atkinson's Man Utd played. Louis Van Gaal's United will play a different way. The only parameter is winning.

I honestly like watching United keep the ball, there's not one United supporter out there that didn't enjoy every single minute of watching us knock the ball about with impunity at Anfield last season. We ended up winding up Liverpool's captain so much he came on and got himself sent off within a minute.

Unread 27-09-2015, 01:45 PM
jem

Quote:
What's the point of entertainment if we lose?
what's the point of victory if we don't entertain?

Unread 27-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Darmian_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
what's the point of victory if we don't entertain?
Winning gives our club the legitimate right to be called the best. Manchester United want to be best, that has always been the target of Sir Matt Busby or Sir Alex. Ultimately it's a results based industry.

I don't understand the complain that we are dull, because it's as if it's actually our team's fault that the game is so dull. Do we park the bus like Chelsea do? It's the other team's fault that they park the bus and we have to keep on passing until we find a gap. People criticize Barca, Bayern and Spain for the same thing, but in fact it's the opposition who sit back and make the match dull.

Why don't the media ask these defensive teams to come and play? Once they do, you will see gaps opening up and United will be banging on goals and you will be entertained.

Unread 27-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Winning gives our club the legitimate right to be called the best. Manchester United want to be best, that has always been the target of Sir Matt Busby or Sir Alex. Ultimately it's a results based industry.
Trying to get those results with style is what elevated united above the likes of Liverpool and arsenal on the world stage. It's why we're the biggest and most glamorous club in England.

If busby's teams were boring, we wouldn't be the club we are now.

Unread 27-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Red Al

It's good to be top of the pile right now but our possible undoing may be our squad depth if we get some more injuries along with losing shaw for most of the season also there is the busy Xmas period that needs luck with injuries and squad depth for rotation etc.
If city and chelski are within range on jan 1 we could strengthen the squad and I can't see why we can't finish top

Unread 27-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
I can't remember a United team that rotated possession and held the ball for as long as this one, but I certainly have seen plenty that played more adventurous and thrilling football.

I agree with you though, that was then and this is now. You can't keep constantly harking back to the past at old teams and saying that "this is the way United play". No, that's the way Alex Ferguson's or Ron Atkinson's Man Utd played. Louis Van Gaal's United will play a different way. The only parameter is winning.

I honestly like watching United keep the ball, there's not one United supporter out there that didn't enjoy every single minute of watching us knock the ball about with impunity at Anfield last season. We ended up winding up Liverpool's captain so much he came on and got himself sent off within a minute.

well said Sparky. the possession game produced the most assured half of football at anfield for as long as I can remember.

the issue is that it is sometimes for possession 's sake, but that just seems like part of the learning process: knowing when to press a little harder, look for the killer ball etc. it's not something that just happens over night, especially with a group of players playing in a league that is very simple in its essence. the players are probably being asked to think more than they ever have before.

he's getting the basics down: we're tighter at the back and we retain possession much better. we're getting better at pressing. the next part is the attack. and it's coming.

it's a style that Barcelona have been lauded for for years around 2009-2012 (of course they had special players and had it pretty much perfected)

The Fergie days are over. any fairytale notions of what is the 'united way' is exactly the kind of shit that has left us laughing at Liverpool for the last 20 years as they remain stuck in the past.

new era, new boss, new style and it had the potential to be very exciting. embrace it.

Unread 27-09-2015, 02:55 PM
morgan

Football

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
well said Sparky. the possession game produced the most assured half of football at anfield for as long as I can remember.
The best thing about Van Gaal so far imo. Used to dread watching derbies, even when we were good. Now I sleep soundly in a dry bed and look forward to watching United hog the ball.

Tictacally we're better equipped for big matches than any time since 08. Think it will show in Europe as well this season

Unread 27-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan
The best thing about Van Gaal so far imo. Used to dread watching derbies, even when we were good. Now I sleep soundly in a dry bed and look forward to watching United hog the ball.

Tictacally we're better equipped for big matches than any time since 08. Think it will show in Europe as well this season
Agreed.

I expect us to dominate the ball in most games now and in very simple terms, that gives me confidence in keeping it tight. our main issue is getting overrun for short periods of games and losing control. Once we show a bit more maturity in these moments, we'll be extremely hard to beat.

Unread 27-09-2015, 03:05 PM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan

under moyes and fergie in his later years we used to just roll over for city on several occasions. last season at the etihad we played like we actually wanted to win and yes we lost that game, but there was only so much we could have done with a defender sent off. and of course the absolute thumping of them at old trafford, which alongside the anfield win has been one of the best united games i've watched in years. £#%&!ing awesome day

van gaal has made one or two baffling decisions in his time here, but he can clearly fire them up for the big games.

Unread 27-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Tiberian

Quote:

SAF's style was all about counter attacking, he rarely dominated possession like we do right now(may be only against low level teams we dominated possesion). We are heading towards the direction of Ajay, Barca and Bayern, a possession based patient approach towards winning. I'm all for that.
Jesus £#%&!ing Christ.

Where do you even start with that shite? The football we are playing now is some of the best in your memory? Watch that first half yesterday and tell me that with a straight face, the ineptitude of Sunderland was the only interesting thing about it.

This nonsense that Fergies sides were only counter attacking cross merchants is laughable, Utd rarely had less than the majority of possession but the intent was to play with speed and penetrate rather than look for sterile control at all times.

The Bayern under Hitzfield who won the CL played in a very Utd style, high tempo attacking play, aggressive approach, numbers committed forward.

Unread 27-09-2015, 03:14 PM
morgan

Remember reading about Louis's training methods ahead of derbies. In particular that he refs the training game like a @#%&!, gives every foul and winds up his starting 11.

Great attention to detail.
Closed Thread