United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp
The idea of being delighted that United are now throwing whatever money it takes at anything that moves, especially against a backdrop of working people being marginalised ever more by ideological austerity in the real world, shows how far away from its traditional core support the club has moved.
Er, this is Fred Tissue pal. I hardly think a collection of lawyers, bankers, doctors, essex playboy millionaires, jet setting home-counties middle class financiers are going to be worried about that.

There isn't a working class person on this forum.

Unread 29-05-2015, 02:17 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I'm beginning to doubt ferguson's footballing judgement.
only now?

Unread 29-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Er, this is Fred Tissue pal. I hardly think a collection of lawyers, bankers, doctors, essex playboy millionaires, jet setting home-counties middle class financiers are going to be worried about that.

There isn't a working class person on this forum.
I can name at least one.

Unread 29-05-2015, 03:26 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Speak for yourself, I don't fit into any of those groups. Nor do you, come to that.

Unread 29-05-2015, 03:28 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Speak for yourself, I don't fit into any of those groups. Nor do you, come to that.
im working class. Sparky can £#%&! off tbh.

Unread 29-05-2015, 03:41 PM
South Stand Johnny

Quote:
I can name at least one.
Throb, I hope you're not talking about me. I've never worked a day in my life.

In all seriousness, the game has changed - as has society as a whole. We don't work down t'pit or in t'mill anymore. The expensive motors in the car park at greyhound races of all places are testament to that.

Yesterday the news reported the average disposable income is £350 a week, £18k a year. But then a bag of chips is frightfully expensive at £1.60.

Unread 29-05-2015, 03:52 PM
teflon_terry

Thumbs up

A few unexpected nibbles for Sparky.

Unread 29-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Stand Johnny
Throb, I hope you're not talking about me. I've never worked a day in my life.

In all seriousness, the game has changed - as has society as a whole. We don't work down t'pit or in t'mill anymore. The expensive motors in the car park at greyhound races of all places are testament to that.

Yesterday the news reported the average disposable income is £350 a week, £18k a year. But then a bag of chips is frightfully expensive at £1.60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_terry
A few unexpected nibbles for Sparky.
i hope you tipped him

Unread 29-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Whip Hubley

£18k a year disposable I presume these average folk are single and living with their parents

Unread 29-05-2015, 04:48 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
£18k a year disposable I presume these average folk are single and living with their parents
:shakehead: Johnny is a complete mug.

Unread 29-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Stand Johnny
Didn't they buy the PIKs in the 2009 crisis for a fraction of their original value (something like £100M on £200M), then paid that off when they floated?
whoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid napper
Yeah cos in 1989 that wasn't happening was it? We spent nearly 10m in the 89/90 summer. That was a huge outlay and comparable to what was spent last summer.

Unread 29-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
only now?
It's not his football judgement that I ever doubted. But if others care to say some of his decisions about the team weren't down to the influence of the debt, or certain other financial incentives, then they're the ones saying his football judgement was hopeless.

Unread 29-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
It's not his football judgement that I ever doubted. But if others care to say some of his decisions about the team weren't down to the influence of the debt, or certain other financial incentives, then they're the ones saying his football judgement was hopeless.

his mistakes pale into insignificance in the big picture of his unprecedented success.

as I've pointed out, his transfer policy, so oft criticised, was usually pretty consistent but could also appear surprisingly scattergun, particularly at times when he needed fresh blood but couldn't get his main targets.

also needs bearing in mind that his biggest mistakes incoming were arguably two of his 3 most expensive signings, one before glazer and one after, whilst his biggest mistake outgoing was stam, at the time iirc also a record transfer fee.

in a few years we'll have a clearer picture of how good woodward and LVG are at spending money. they already seem to me to have pretty much wasted as much as ferguson did, despite what martin edwards used to say about fergie with money.

Unread 30-05-2015, 12:02 PM
jem

I sense a veron reference.

don't make me come down there again.

Unread 30-05-2015, 12:10 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
in a few years we'll have a clearer picture of how good woodward and LVG are at spending money. they already seem to me to have pretty much wasted as much as ferguson did

Unread 30-05-2015, 12:11 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's

dick

Unread 30-05-2015, 12:11 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

dick
who?

Unread 30-05-2015, 12:41 PM