United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 27-05-2023, 08:42 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
no more ajax punts for the minute thanks
We signed Antony and Martinez. Antony has been hit and miss il give you that but he is young , has potential and has shown glimpses of what he can do. Young players will be inconsistent.

Martinez had been probably our best signing post Ferguson. Love the guy, everything we want in a Man Utd player.

There’s an element of risk with the differences in leagues , but I’d be more comfortable dropping 30-40 million on a player from ajax (or any other Dutch team) than 50-70 million on mason mount

Unread 27-05-2023, 08:42 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
It’s been said he’s a number 10. I think if he was the final signing or one of the last ones after the striker , CM or CB there would be more acceptance of him.

We have a limited budget, need to focus on the high priority positions before we spend on others.

Especially if he’s costing 40-55 million. Offer them martial for a straight swap and claim he’s a good striker. Their owner is clueless
My guess is he’d be signed as an alternative to Eriksen and an upgrade on Fred.

It’s an unspectacular one, but there’s appealing attributes: he’s good on the ball, creative, lots of energy and presses well. Good work rate.

I kinda get it.

The fee is an issue though. If he was out of contract, fine, but his deal is up next summer and he’s seemingly less than favoured there atm. We shouldn’t be paying upwards of £50m. It’s the English premium too. When you’re on a budget (which we are until we know otherwise) then trying to sign English players like him, Kane and rice is going to drain funds.

And even with him, we’d still need a more defensive minded midfielder. Perhaps Rabiot if he’s a freebie.

Unread 27-05-2023, 08:45 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
My guess is he’d be signed as an alternative to Eriksen and an upgrade on Fred.

It’s an unspectacular one, but there’s appealing attributes: he’s good on the ball, creative, lots of energy and presses well. Good work rate.

I kinda get it.

The fee is an issue though. If he was out of contract, fine, but his deal is up next summer and he’s seemingly less than favoured there atm. We shouldn’t be paying upwards of £50m. It’s the English premium too. When you’re on a budget (which we are until we know otherwise) then trying to sign English players like him, Kane and rice is going to drain funds.

And even with him, we’d still need a more defensive minded midfielder. Perhaps Rabiot if he’s a freebie.
I think rice is going to Arsenal. I can’t see us signing Kane. He would be exactly what we need but the price would be 80-90 million minimum. It depends on how much we can sell, get rid of martial, maguire, VDB, The Scottish Player, Henderson We raise an extra 60-90mill then fair enough.

But we have a history of having players on large contracts which result is ridiculously low transfer fees when they are sold.

Still got the likes of Bailey and telles to piss off.

Unread 27-05-2023, 08:50 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I think rice is going to Arsenal. I can’t see us signing Kane. He would be exactly what we need but the price would be 80-90 million minimum. It depends on how much we can sell, get rid of martial, maguire, VDB, The Scottish Player, Henderson We raise an extra 60-90mill then fair enough.

But we have a history of having players on large contracts which result is ridiculously low transfer fees when they are sold.

Still got the likes of Bailey and telles to piss off.
I’m sure plenty will depend on sales, yes. Talk is we have £100m to spend. That gets us our striker if it’s in the Kane category, or maybe we go a lesser one like Hojlund. If we’re after Mount at £50m plus and Kim at £50m plus, then we’re going to need some pretty generous buyers.

Maguire - £20m
The Scottish Player - £20m
Martial - £10-£15m
Henderson - £20m

That’s if we’re lucky enough to get rid of all of them.

Then, as you say, the shit that’s coming back to us in Telles and Bailly and whoever else I’ve forgotten.

In short, we need new owners. Still, no rush

Unread 27-05-2023, 08:53 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Personally I don’t want him. I think for the price quoted and from what I’ve seen of him he just doesn’t make sense. Much rather take a punt on a younger gem from Ajax than him.

That Xavi Simmons from PSV 17 goals in 33 games looks decent.
Simons is a very different player, so not really a comparison worth making. Simons isn't going to be able to play as #8 , whereas Mount is. If Mount is brought in, there will be a specific reason. Namely the lack of quality in depth in central midfield and no one even near capable of filling in for Fernandes.

Unread 27-05-2023, 08:59 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Simons is a very different player, so not really a comparison worth making. Simons isn't going to be able to play as #8 , whereas Mount is. If Mount is brought in, there will be a specific reason. Namely the lack of quality in depth in central midfield and no one even near capable of filling in for Fernandes.
It was just an example, didn’t realise mount plays as a CM. Thought he was a 10. Still for the price I’m sure there are better examples.

I’ve only ever seen mount play for England and where he has played against us . Never set the world alight. Just reeks of an overhyped English player. If we do sign him I hope I’m wrong.

Unread 27-05-2023, 09:15 AM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Eriksen had not played that deeper role either previous to this season, so presumably ETH would convert Mount to that position.

Given how exhausting this season has been, and that next year will be no honeymoon-season given other teams have played against an ETH side now and will be a little better clued into how to set up against us, the CM cover is likely second-highest priority after central striker.

Liverpool this season should be a cautionary tale in how quickly midfielders in their 30s can all of a sudden just stop functioning at this level. Mount likely see as upgrade to Eriksen, and cover to Bruno (whose legs one day will presumably fall clean off). 2 birds 1 stone.

Unread 27-05-2023, 10:24 AM
jem

I don't think anyone would deny we need a competent dm/central midfielder. the question is would you want mount over, say, palhinha?

mount is just a pointless little @#%&!.

Unread 27-05-2023, 10:48 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I don't think anyone would deny we need a competent dm/central midfielder. the question is would you want mount over, say, palhinha?

Palhinha! That’s a shout, he’s been very good every time I’ve seen him play. Much rather have him.

Unread 27-05-2023, 10:59 AM
tatty

If the lad is out of favour in the worst Chelsea team for I don’t know how long then I’m a bit sceptical.

Unread 27-05-2023, 11:03 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
If the lad is out of favour in the worst Chelsea team for I don’t know how long then I’m a bit sceptical.
Agreed, but that could be a ploy due to his contact situation.

Unread 27-05-2023, 11:19 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Agreed, but that could be a ploy due to his contact situation.
the lack of contact is what concerns me.

he's "tidy". so is the don. as we know, that doesn't work in the real world. we need a solid s/d type in midfield, not someone pruning the roses occasionally.

palhinha and casemiro seems like the base of the best midfield in the world. mount and casemiro sounds like eriksen can't do more than 60 minutes and we're poor, but what can we do?

Unread 27-05-2023, 11:28 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Jem knows

Unread 27-05-2023, 11:46 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Looks a player him.

But I want a mobile midfielder able to bring the ball forward and I don’t think that’s what he does best tbh.

Unread 27-05-2023, 11:58 AM
tatty

Even if a Mount-type player was the final piece of the jigsaw I wouldn’t choose him.

That we have far more pressing needs in 2 or 3 other positions make this transfer even stranger.

I don’t believe it.

Unread 27-05-2023, 12:08 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Looks a player him.

But I want a mobile midfielder able to bring the ball forward and I don’t think that’s what he does best tbh.
palhinha is excellent going forward, like casemiro. that's why I like him. if we could get a third similar midfielder, that would be great (or we could carry eriksen).

Unread 27-05-2023, 01:31 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Lots of Talk of Palhinha going to West fackin’ Ham

Unread 27-05-2023, 02:11 PM
windy waffles

Been rumours about this past couple of months down at the Bridge by all accounts.

Very much on.

Unread 27-05-2023, 02:50 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
https://twitter.com/MailSport/status...1_c10&ref_url=

This can’t be true pretty reliable journo though
He's ok but he's nothing special, if United want to buy anyone from, Chelsea, then it should be, Mendy, particuly as, De Gea is still not sure if he is prepard to accept a new contract on a lower wage.

Unread 27-05-2023, 06:25 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I’m sure plenty will depend on sales, yes. Talk is we have £100m to spend. That gets us our striker if it’s in the Kane category, or maybe we go a lesser one like Hojlund. If we’re after Mount at £50m plus and Kim at £50m plus, then we’re going to need some pretty generous buyers.

Maguire - £20m
The Scottish Player - £20m
Martial - £10-£15m
Henderson - £20m

That’s if we’re lucky enough to get rid of all of them.

Then, as you say, the shit that’s coming back to us in Telles and Bailly and whoever else I’ve forgotten.

In short, we need new owners. Still, no rush
+ Greenwood?