United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-06-2023, 04:12 PM
Ethers

I genuinely don’t know how anyone finds the energy to get worked up about certain referees tbh.

If you put a gun to my head I don’t think I could tell you which refs are good and which refs are bad these days. Baffles me when Arthur Hall is announced as ref for our next game and people start crying because he didn’t give a penalty to us against Accrington Stanley 2 years ago or something.

Unread 02-06-2023, 04:16 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
I genuinely don’t know how anyone finds the energy to get worked up about certain referees tbh.

If you put a gun to my head I don’t think I could tell you which refs are good and which refs are bad these days. Baffles me when Arthur Hall is announced as ref for our next game and people start crying because he didn’t give a penalty to us against Accrington Stanley 2 years ago or something.
Refereeing standards have definitely gone downhill recently, but I think it’s more to do with VAR and other little tweaks to the rules/approach they take. A big one that makes me scream internally is when there’s a blatant offside (I’m talking 10 yards off) but they’ll keep the flag down until the ball goes out of play or they score or whatever.

VAR seems to encourage some refs to be utter cowards in their decision making.

I think I get more annoyed at commentators than I do refs.

Unread 02-06-2023, 04:24 PM
Ethers

I absolutely despise VAR, I’d scrap it immediately tbh. Technology is absolutely pointless unless it’s perfect, like goal line technology. Until there’s a way of making it perfect, or close to, I’d do away with it. Just swapping human error for slightly slower human error. The benefits just don’t outweighs the downsides imo

Unread 02-06-2023, 04:30 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
I absolutely despise VAR, I’d scrap it immediately tbh. Technology is absolutely pointless unless it’s perfect, like goal line technology. Until there’s a way of making it perfect, or close to, I’d do away with it. Just swapping human error for slightly slower human error. The benefits just don’t outweighs the downsides imo
Wasn't VAR originally introduced to clear up "obvious errors"?

Not to scrutinise every single goal to check if a player is 2 microns onside/offside?

Unread 02-06-2023, 05:05 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I agree. I like goal line tech because it either is or isn't in the goal. There's no grey area.

I'd say have the VAR for offsides but they can't even seem to get that right as they seem to constantly fiddle with the existing laws to make it more ambiguous.

Penalties i'd scrap VAR completely and Red Cards. Let the referee on the pitch ref the game more.

Unread 02-06-2023, 05:45 PM
big chief

Quote:

On point

Unread 02-06-2023, 09:41 PM
Buck

A friend of mine helps coach at a grassroots club. I'm sure everyone knows of the dad on the touchline living his dreams through his son or the ones who think they're a professional football manager. These guys are awful to be around at a game in general. Anyway they had an incident last season where a 17 year old was ref and one of them lost his rag at some decisions and started hurling abuse. This was a kid's game take into account. It's no example to set for the boys playing the game plus the fact the ref was only a few years older than them made it extra pathetic. The ref himself was still a kid. In an adults game it's going to be worse. That sort of thing is naturally going to put people off from taking it up because whatever little they might get in a match fee isn't worth the bother.

And that links back to the argument of the quality of refs. You're not going to raise the standards if people are put off from trying to become a professional referee. The Premier League itself is more physically and mentally demanding on players than it was fifteen or even just ten years ago. Yet we're still stuck with largely the same group of refs as back then expecting them to keep up as they get much older.
Closed Thread