United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Yep. Most successful team in England and biggest club in world but we are nothing

Many of our own fans are believing the press’s narrative. Disgusting.
United aren’t the “biggest club in the world.” Grow up.

Unread 14-06-2019, 08:59 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Yep. Most successful team in England and biggest club in world but we are nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Jethro

Quote:

Postage

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:19 AM
shenwen

Parters killing it on this and other threads

Posters behaving like we’ve turned into Watford

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Dasilvatwins

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
pogba

nice of alan smith to go on holiday with him
Look how that turned out. He might be the best player in the team but he puts about 10 good performances in a season of 40 odd games.

Lets face it , theyre not the biggest club in the world . Its a narrative pushed by the board and commercial side of the club. Say it often enough, people will believe it. Once people will believe it they can use it to sell everything and anything under the sun.

Madrid, barcelona, bayern, man utd, juve. In that order. Even then thats biggest by the number of fans thanks to the brilliant history ferguson, busby and co had put in place.

Its embarassing at times, "we are the biggest club in the world" yet they cant sign anyone half decent. (pogba is too inconsistant). Nothing will change untill woodward/glazers leave or when the club is football focused. Right now its all about the revenue and social media following.

This season they are riding on the " young , high potential british players" agenda to prevent fan backlash. Last season and the seasons with lvg it was sign big names , pay them big wages and see what happens.

Ultimately the club has no direction, its " lets take a stab in the dark with this and see what happens". Theyve crossed off big name signings and by the end of this season theyd have crossed of signing young players when it inevitably fails and we will be back at square one.

I would have more faith in either of the clubs transfer policies above but they just do not plan and do their research.

daniel james is a signing based on a phone call from ryan giggs , nothing more. If they were following him properly they would have signed him or attempted to sign him last jan, when he was moving to leeds for 8 million or whatever it was. What is worrying is all we have heard about him is that " he is fast" , nothing on his touch, passing, heading, shooting, set pieces... he is fast that is all. I hope i am wrong but forgive me if i am not excited about a player who was about to leave for another championship club 6 months ago.

Even with de ligt, the europa leage season in which we won, he was touted as a future worldy. Ok they didnt need to go and sign a 17 year old but you have to question why its taken until now to be interested in him. They could have signed him and loaned him back, or have something in place in january like barca have with de jong.

The club is in a mess and it isnt going anywhere good anytime soon

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Neo

Quote:
You say this a lot, but we clearly are.

The Premier League is the global behemoth of football, and United are by far the league’s biggest club.

In terms of global presence, United are the biggest club on the planet.
Real Madrid are historically the most successful, but they’re not as big globally as United. That’s a fact.

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:31 AM
Bunker Buster

Bayern £#%&!ing Munich bigger than United

Jesus.....

That's some take.

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Bayern £#%&!ing Munich bigger than United

Jesus.....

That's some take.
Are you telling me right now a player would honestly choose man utd over bayern if the same terms were offered?

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:35 AM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Parters killing it on this and other threads

Posters behaving like we’ve turned into Watford
No, people are being realistic about the situation. We're not a couple of years into life without Fergie; we've now spent the better part of a decade in crisis/decline. Sure we've had a couple of seasons where we've been comfortably in the top 4, but that was papering over cracks that have now grown larger. We've had several promising looking players join us and end up looking totally shot before selling them on; we have had several managers with totally different outlooks and styles fail to do anything other than confirm that the dressing room and a banker run things, leading nicely onto the next point; we have a banker running things who doesn't have a clue footballing wise yet makes a lot of the key decisions in terms of transfers etc.

To us, we are Manchester United, and as fans we will stick by the team. It doesn't mean we have to sit there and delude ourselves into believing that we are still a dominant force. We have some shit to sort out before we get there again. I believe we can get there again, but right now we are a bit of a joke.

Anyone sat there genuinely going on like we are still the biggest club in the world and that it would be a tough choice between us and Barca/Madrid right now, this is you:

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:35 AM
System Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Are you telling me right now a player would honestly choose man utd over bayern if the same terms were offered?
A player choosing to play for the better team/club at present, is not the same as one club being bigger than another.

Not sure why it matters anyway, who cares.

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
I think what we are basing being a big club on differs slightly....

BM are hardly even known outside Bavaria FFS, let alone Europe....

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:46 AM
otbarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Good Lord she's enormous.
Is she £#%&!, I'd attempt to give her one.

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
You say this a lot, but we clearly are.

The Premier League is the global behemoth of football, and United are by far the league’s biggest club.

In terms of global presence, United are the biggest club on the planet.
Real Madrid are historically the most successful, but they’re not as big globally as United. That’s a fact.
Depends how you measure 'big'. If you define that by the club that gets the most TV exposure and has the most commercial bang for their buck, then sure United are the "biggest".

However, if, like me, you prefer to focus on the actual football side of things, Madrid blow United so far out of the water it's not even a contest. They have had better players down the years, won far more, they have a bigger ground, they habitually take other big clubs best players (including ours), they've won the champions league more times in the last 5 years than we have in our entire 140 year history and they don't waste time telling everyone they're the biggest, they just act like it.

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Depends how you measure 'big'. If you define that by the club that gets the most TV exposure and has the most commercial bang for their buck, then sure United are the "biggest".

However, if, like me, you prefer to focus on the actual football side of things, Madrid blow United so far out of the water it's not even a contest. They have had better players down the years, won far more, they have a bigger ground, they habitually take other big clubs best players (including ours), they've won the champions league more times in the last 5 years than we have in our entire 140 year history and they don't waste time telling everyone they're the biggest, they just act like it.

Unread 14-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I think what we are basing being a big club on differs slightly....

BM are hardly even known outside Bavaria FFS, let alone Europe....
Fair enough, and tbh this " biggest club" doesnt even matter. My main gripe with the club is its poor recruitment .

Unread 14-06-2019, 10:16 AM
puressence

Quote:
Look how that turned out. He might be the best player in the team but he puts about 10 good performances in a season of 40 odd games.

Lets face it , theyre not the biggest club in the world . Its a narrative pushed by the board and commercial side of the club. Say it often enough, people will believe it. Once people will believe it they can use it to sell everything and anything under the sun.

Madrid, barcelona, bayern, man utd, juve. In that order. Even then thats biggest by the number of fans thanks to the brilliant history ferguson, busby and co had put in place.

Its embarassing at times, "we are the biggest club in the world" yet they cant sign anyone half decent. (pogba is too inconsistant). Nothing will change untill woodward/glazers leave or when the club is football focused. Right now its all about the revenue and social media following.

This season they are riding on the " young , high potential british players" agenda to prevent fan backlash. Last season and the seasons with lvg it was sign big names , pay them big wages and see what happens.

Ultimately the club has no direction, its " lets take a stab in the dark with this and see what happens". Theyve crossed off big name signings and by the end of this season theyd have crossed of signing young players when it inevitably fails and we will be back at square one.

I would have more faith in either of the clubs transfer policies above but they just do not plan and do their research.

daniel james is a signing based on a phone call from ryan giggs , nothing more. If they were following him properly they would have signed him or attempted to sign him last jan, when he was moving to leeds for 8 million or whatever it was. What is worrying is all we have heard about him is that " he is fast" , nothing on his touch, passing, heading, shooting, set pieces... he is fast that is all. I hope i am wrong but forgive me if i am not excited about a player who was about to leave for another championship club 6 months ago.

Even with de ligt, the europa leage season in which we won, he was touted as a future worldy. Ok they didnt need to go and sign a 17 year old but you have to question why its taken until now to be interested in him. They could have signed him and loaned him back, or have something in place in january like barca have with de jong.

The club is in a mess and it isnt going anywhere good anytime soon
easy pal £#%&! off watch someone else from your 14 inch black and white portable

Quote:

you focus on the football side

Unread 14-06-2019, 11:30 AM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
pogba

nice of alan smith to go on holiday with him

That's Steph

Unread 14-06-2019, 12:16 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by System Error
Are you telling me right now a player would honestly choose man utd over bayern if the same terms were offered?.
They'd likely choose City over us at the moment, doesn't mean City are bigger than United.

Unread 14-06-2019, 12:31 PM
forwardirektion

Every day, every discussion people move closer to the liverpool we used to laugh at.

Our players will be signalling 21 at the etihad while we're 4-0 down before you know it and be called heroes

Unread 14-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Not sure how a club that has no interest in being the best team in its own country let alone the continent has any business being called the biggest club tbh.

As the post above mentions, the clinging on to the past stinks of RAWK.
Closed Thread