United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-06-2023, 07:24 AM
wiganste

Default Cup Final rituals

What do you normally get up to when United are in the final? Do you have routines, special underpants, superstitions etc? Do you do things differently to what you normally would?

Unread 02-06-2023, 07:49 AM
est.1878

Unsure if ritual but as a kid watching every single minute of the full BBC build up was unbeatable. When the coaches set off was hype nirvana

Unread 02-06-2023, 08:00 AM
Seamus

I used to love the fa cup final mastermind show on cup final day

Unread 02-06-2023, 08:08 AM
suedeshoes

Always wear a United shirt and scarf whether I go or watch on TV. Have done since 1983.

Unread 02-06-2023, 08:16 AM
Time For Heroes

Not a cup final ritual as such but I've got my lucky pants and socks combo washed and ready.

Unread 02-06-2023, 08:21 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Unsure if ritual but as a kid watching every single minute of the full BBC build up was unbeatable. When the coaches set off was hype nirvana
This.

Now you barely get an hours build up.

Unread 02-06-2023, 08:35 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
Not a cup final ritual as such but I've got my lucky pants and socks combo washed and ready.
washed?

we're doomed.

Unread 02-06-2023, 08:45 AM
My Name is Heath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
What do you normally get up to when United are in the final? Do you have routines, special underpants, superstitions etc? Do you do things differently to what you normally would?
Ice lolly in a glass of Coca Cola during United Southampton.

My day gave me that 47 years ago and I can still taste and feel it. Brings back warm memories.

Unread 02-06-2023, 08:46 AM
Jethro

My boys second cup final in a season Not in person like but he's absolutely buzzing.

Unread 02-06-2023, 08:46 AM
Curtis

It’s a knock-out on the pitch. All kinds of other activities that were unfriendly to the playing surface. Marvellous day’s viewing as a kid.

Unread 02-06-2023, 09:08 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
My boys second cup final in a season Not in person like but he's absolutely buzzing.
I’d manage his expectations pal.

Unread 02-06-2023, 09:14 AM
believe

They’re probably not allowed to row boats now.

Unread 02-06-2023, 09:24 AM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
This, remember watching it all as a 6 year old in 77 with the curtains closed, next to the old man. Didn't watch 83 as he'd just died, wasn't the same....

Unread 02-06-2023, 11:12 AM
Denis Irwell

Was usually at the match but any other final, we’d meet up at the appointed house. Steak and eggs for breakfast/brunch. Crack open the beer. Play “Jimmys chin”. Everyone got a piece of masking tape with your name on it and placed it on the screen of the telly. Then turn onto the bbc and the minute Jimmy came on, whoever was nearest to the point of his chin won the kitty. Then off to the pub before getting back for the match.

Did it for England /Scotland too

Unread 02-06-2023, 11:18 AM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Was usually at the match but any other final, we’d meet up at the appointed house. Steak and eggs for breakfast/brunch. Crack open the beer. Play “Jimmys chin”. Everyone got a piece of masking tape with your name on it and placed it on the screen of the telly. Then turn onto the bbc and the minute Jimmy came on, whoever was nearest to the point of his chin won the kitty. Then off to the pub before getting back for the match.

Did it for England /Scotland too
Kids don't know they're born these days with their fancy i-Pads and phones etc.

Unread 02-06-2023, 11:26 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
Kids don't know they're born these days with their fancy i-Pads and phones etc.
Must admit, I usually watch on the iPad for convenience but definitely watching this on the big screen

Unread 02-06-2023, 11:36 AM
Sparky***

I used to....back in the days where we'd get to finals on the regular so you could actually have rituals.

Don't bother any more.

Unread 02-06-2023, 12:13 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Must admit, I usually watch on the iPad for convenience but definitely watching this on the big screen
I meant that we had to make up games and stuff in the old days because you didn't have all these fancy gadgets so whilst waiting for the programmes to come on you invented ridiculous things to do

Unread 02-06-2023, 12:17 PM
big chief

It used be a fantastic build up - better than all the royal wedding $#*!e

Unread 02-06-2023, 02:39 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by big chief
It used be a fantastic build up - better than all the royal wedding $#*!e
I'd love to know how the FA Cup final and a royal wedding end up in the same space in your head.
Closed Thread