United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Mr_Ed

Default Shearer

24 years ago signed for the Geordies.

I won’t lie I was gutted - signing him ‘could’ have taken us to another level. That said, we did alright without him.

Imagine this place in 96 with its dedicated threat probably started by pure.

Unread 30-07-2020, 09:04 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
24 years ago signed for the Geordies.

I won’t lie I was gutted - signing him ‘could’ have taken us to another level. That said, we did alright without him.

Imagine this place in 96 with its dedicated threat probably started by pure.
I wouldn’t take a threat from pure seriously

Unread 30-07-2020, 09:33 AM
Switching Off

Put his sticker on my science book, was that convinced we'd sign him.

Unread 30-07-2020, 09:41 AM
Red Santos

1996 he was world class.

If we signed him we definitely would've got to the Champions League Final in 1997

Those Dortmund defeats still rankle me

Neo

Football

One of the biggest myths is that he would have made us too one dimensional, which is a proper "didn't fancy her anyway".

He was an absolute beast of a number 9, and would have broken all sorts of records at United.

Near the very top of the list of players I wish United had signed down the years.

believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Pre forum curse

I've been back and forth over the years but £#%&! him, he's not a very likeable person.

Unread 30-07-2020, 09:55 AM
Lok

At one point, it felt so certain. I didn't quite put his sticker on my book but I did do his one hand up celebration in the playground when I scored a goal.

Unread 30-07-2020, 10:01 AM
puressence

Rather have the memories with ole for a tenth of the price no matter how good he was

Unread 30-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Cream

Our generation’s Jimmy Greaves.

Fantastic scoring record, not a lot of silverware. And that’s what people tend to remember.
(Grievesy unlucky to be injured for the WC final).

Has to regret not coming to United.

Unread 30-07-2020, 10:37 AM
suedeshoes

Utterly brilliant centre forward but £#%&! him. He had his chance. Twice. He'll regret not joining us more than we ever will.

Unread 30-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Time For Heroes

Great player, absolute @#%&!, so it's a no from me.

Unread 30-07-2020, 10:59 AM
Fat Al

If we'd got him from S'hampton in the summerof 92, would we have got Eric when we did? Would have won the league?

I'm saying No to both. So I'm glad we didn't get him in 92.

In 96, Eric was still at the club & was the captain. Would the 2 of them worked on the pitch in the same team? I don't think so.

As for the off the pitch, we all know how big a @#%&! Shearer was/is (the Neil Lennon incident). Can you see a dressing room with him, Cantona & Keane in?
Shearer always had to be the star, the player the team was built around. He may have helped us win more than we did (although we didn't do too badly without him), but would Fergie have had to change the way the team played for accommodate him?

So, in conclusion, £#%&! him. The @#%&!.

Unread 30-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Knockers

Would you take a big-money move to United at your peak, regardless of where we were in the league, or play for Chelsea/City/whoever happened to be top dogs at the time?

Don’t blame him for going to Newcastle at all. Delighted it didn’t go how he hoped. Looks a daft move from a generation’s remove but they were no joke at the time.

Unread 30-07-2020, 12:49 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Would you take a big-money move to United at your peak, regardless of where we were in the league, or play for Chelsea/City/whoever happened to be top dogs at the time?

Don’t blame him for going to Newcastle at all. Delighted it didn’t go how he hoped. Looks a daft move from a generation’s remove but they were no joke at the time.
Yes you can see why he wouldn’t sign for the team who’d just won the double for the second time in 3 seasons in favour of some no mark team in the North East with no track record of success.

Unread 30-07-2020, 12:53 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
Yes you can see why he wouldn’t sign for the team who’d just won the double for the second time in 3 seasons in favour of some no mark team in the North East with no track record of success.
It is where he is from ffs They ran Utd close and should have won the league if they weren't bottlers. He probably thought they were on the cusp of winning the league and he would make the difference for his boyhood club. His move to Newcastle always made sense. It is the Blackburn move that was odd. But they were splashing big money for the time.

Unread 30-07-2020, 12:55 PM
suedeshoes

Blackburn were rich as city at the time. Beat us to the signing of Sutton too. Keane had agreed to join them as well but changed his mind. Dalglish never forgave him.

Unread 30-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
If we'd got him from S'hampton in the summerof 92, would we have got Eric when we did? Would have won the league?

I'm saying No to both. So I'm glad we didn't get him in 92.

In 96, Eric was still at the club & was the captain. Would the 2 of them worked on the pitch in the same team? I don't think so.

As for the off the pitch, we all know how big a @#%&! Shearer was/is (the Neil Lennon incident). Can you see a dressing room with him, Cantona & Keane in?
Shearer always had to be the star, the player the team was built around. He may have helped us win more than we did (although we didn't do too badly without him), but would Fergie have had to change the way the team played for accommodate him?

So, in conclusion, £#%&! him. The @#%&!.
I reckon they would. He might be a @#%&! but he was the best goalscorer on the planet who wasn't named Gabriel. Cantona would have fed him 40 xG a season. That's bait.

Unread 30-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Lok

He did what he did and we did what we did.

Only one side should look back with regrets.

Quote:
I reckon they would. He might be a @#%&! but he was the best goalscorer on the planet who wasn't named Gabriel. Cantona would have fed him 40 xG a season. That's bait.
Shearer was better than Batistuta.

Unread 30-07-2020, 01:34 PM
andyroo

Alan Shearer was £#%&!ing dearer

Wouldn't have complained obviously but I think it worked out all right without him.

Unread 30-07-2020, 01:50 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
It was even on the front page of The Sun that we were gonna sign him iirc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
And came second and runners up in the FA Cup in the year they didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Blackburn were rich as city at the time. Beat us to the signing of Sutton too. Keane had agreed to join them as well but changed his mind. Dalglish never forgave him.
Thanks £#%&!. He is a mega@#%&!.
Closed Thread