United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Firswood Red

Default Platini or Zidane

who do the French consider the better player?

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:17 PM
armchair

Zidane

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Fountz

Zidane all the way..

Platini was hugely overated IMO.

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Fatboy Shrek

ZZ. God over there.

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Zidane all the way..

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Billy Baroo

platini was brilliant, fountz, but zedington zed all the way

incidentally, platini nowadays reminds me of the napoleon caricature in Bill and Teds

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Sloppy

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default I can speak for the whole of France

but Platini for me - Bestesque balance and finishing for a start off

edit: sorry I meant I can't speak for the whole of France, you know that, but...

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:02 PM
RedArmy20

Quote:
even though its your opinion, its absolute £#%&!ing shite of an opinion.

u must be 10 or something.

and on topic Zizou is better, special lad that. great great player. a great person as well.

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:04 PM
borsuk

platini was a great player, but zz is up there with the greats of all time. zz all the way.

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
RedArmy20

Exclamation I Forgot To £#%&!ing Add:

THANKS FRANCE FOR:
[SIZE="7"]
ERIC CANTONA!

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Firswood Red

Always thought Zidane should have got a lot more goals for a player with his ability, think he average about 1 goals in every 5 games in his club career.

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
zidane had better picture quality

was that boniek getting on the end of some of those long passes? always liked him

TT, his balance was superb. particularly like the goal earlyish in that comp when the ball breaks on the edge of the box and he feints to hit it but instead lobs the ball over the out rushing defence, collects it on the other side and passes it into the corner

still Zebeddee for me though

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

It's the grace and beauty of Platini's football that sets him above Zidane for me. Nice to have a touch of this though:

http://zizizdane.ytmnd.com/

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
redmike

Quote:
Zidane all the way..

First part fair enough.

Second part, oh my gawd.

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Zorg

Platini if you're a middle-aged vaguely racist French farmer.

Zidane if you live on a scummy Paris housing estate.

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Platini if you're a middle-aged vaguely racist French farmer.

Zidane if you live on a scummy Paris housing estate.

Don't mention Algeria!

Unread 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
It's the grace and beauty of Platini's football that sets him above Zidane for me. Nice to have a touch of this though:

http://zizizdane.ytmnd.com/
I will admit to having seen little of platini outside of Youtube compliations and reviews of Euro Championships and World Cups, but having watched a great deal of Zidane I find that statement hard to believe.

Zidane's game was all about Grace and Elegance on the ball, for the size of the man he he was incredibly balanced, had an astonishing ability to protect the ball under pressure, and always seemed to choose the right option.

For me Zidane is the best player of the last 20 years, just dominated games, having had this discussion before on the forum I remember Serenity putting a high value on Rivaldo and his levels of production, great player yes, but for all his talent he rarely took the breath like Zidane constantly did.

Unread 05-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Serenity Now

Zidane was a fantastic player to watch, an old school technician playing in an era of hard running atheltes, and if you start watching match with Zidane involved it's almost impossible to get sucked in by his sheer elegance. Because of his style of play, Platini didn't have this same magnetism; however, I still think he was was the superior player.

Platini dictated matches in a way that Zidane never did; his vision, tactical intelligence and range of passing were superior; he was a leader in his teams in a way that Zidane never was (for me, Zidane throughout his career - perhaps with the exception of his performance for France at Euro 2000 - was generally more the icing on the cake than the fundamental component of his teams); he was perhaps the deadliest free-kick taker in European football history; he played significantly more decisive passes than Zidane at both club and international level; and scored far more goals than Zidane ever did in a league which was tougher than any that Zidane played in (capocannoniere for three years in a row, if you didn't know).

I would also say that Platini was far more dominant at major international tournaments than Zidane ever was. He was the leader and creative fulcrum of one of the most technically gifted and brilliant midfields in World Cup history in 1982, and dominated Euro '84 from start to finish as much as perhaps any player has ever done in that competition, scoring nine of France's fourteen goals in the tournament, whilst still maintaining his function as the orchestrator in chief. Even Zidane's greatest performance at a major tournament - Euro 2000, of course - doesn't remotely compare with this.

Also, if we're talking about the best player of the past 20 years, then I think that's Paolo Maldini. For me, probably the only outfield player to have plied his trade during this period to have a very strong shout as the greatest ever in his position.

Unread 05-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Grimson

Regarding the last 20-odd years, how do you rate Cafu?
Closed Thread