United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-07-2019, 07:59 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I imagine anyone on this forum would have been moaning like £#%&! when fergie bought Steve Bruce or paid a record fee for pallister from lowly Middlesborough. Probably the equivalent combined fee of around £110m at today’s rates.

Consistency, plays every week, good character, potential captain, a desire to play for united. Easily taken every step up in his career. Still not good enough for some. People underestimate the importance of these things, especially for a central defender where you need the same two players playing every week. On balance, he’s everything we need in this current squad. This is how you change a shit dressing room culture.
I did complain when we bought pally (still would, if I had been watching paul mcgrath). however, we had a decent midfield, then. we don't now. if I had to choose between spaffing the money on him or a midfielder.... no contest. he doesn't significantly improve the team. you want to see two players regularly, smalling and linde will do fine unless we are getting world class defenders to replace them.

Unread 15-07-2019, 08:06 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I did complain when we bought pally (still would, if I had been watching paul mcgrath). however, we had a decent midfield, then. we don't now. if I had to choose between spaffing the money on him or a midfielder.... no contest. he doesn't significantly improve the team. you want to see two players regularly, smalling and linde will do fine unless we are getting world class defenders to replace them.
A team in our mess signing world class defenders. Get a grip on reality.

Name 3 world class defenders who are available to us.

Unread 15-07-2019, 08:26 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
A team in our mess signing world class defenders. Get a grip on reality.

Name 3 world class defenders who are available to us.
Mustafi?

Unread 15-07-2019, 08:38 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
tibs ranks Chris 'Mike' Smalling pretty high up that list if that assists?
He is declining, not quite the athlete of old, and his other flaws need not be mentioned again, but I doubt Maguire has ever put in a defensive performance of the magnitude of Smalling in Paris last season, or even close to it.

Should be a squad player this season, used as back up and for specific match ups but if Maguire is signed I wouldn't be at all surprised if by mid season he is back in the team as all the rest fail to convince, and no doubt taking all the blame for their failures as well as his own.

Unread 15-07-2019, 08:44 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Mustafi?
Think you mean Mustafa.

Unread 15-07-2019, 08:46 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
He is declining, not quite the athlete of old, and his other flaws need not be mentioned again, but I doubt Maguire has ever put in a defensive performance of the magnitude of Smalling in Paris last season, or even close to it.

Should be a squad player this season, used as back up and for specific match ups but if Maguire is signed I wouldn't be at all surprised if by mid season he is back in the team as all the rest fail to convince, and no doubt taking all the blame for their failures as well as his own.
Sounds about right.

Unread 15-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Chris Quayd

Van Dijk would look shit after a few months playing in our backline so can only imagine what this clogger will look like by Christmas. If we can't get the best out of the players we have then not sure what the point is in signing anyone tbh

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Van Dijk would look shit after a few months playing in our backline so can only imagine what this clogger will look like by Christmas. If we can't get the best out of the players we have then not sure what the point is in signing anyone tbh
Bissaka looks a cracking signing, can't underestimate how badly that RB spot hurt us last year, and if he is nothing more, initially, than an excellent defender/athlete, then that will be a massive improvement and aid to the other defenders. De Gea had the worst season of his career last year, we have to hope he shows it was a blip and not the beginning of decline.

Next issue is midfield, Matic is an ineffective shield while Pogba can not be trusted to fulfil his responsibilities, will let a runner go at the worst time, putting extra pressure on the defensive line.

There are many ways Utd can improve defensively, we have had decent records with that same group when the manager was not poisoning the well from pre season.

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:18 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Bissaka looks a cracking signing, can't underestimate how badly that RB spot hurt us last year, and if he is nothing more, initially, than an excellent defender/athlete, then that will be a massive improvement and aid to the other defenders. De Gea had the worst season of his career last year, we have to hope he shows it was a blip and not the beginning of decline.

Next issue is midfield, Matic is an ineffective shield while Pogba can not be trusted to fulfil his responsibilities, will let a runner go at the worst time, putting extra pressure on the defensive line.

There are many ways Utd can improve defensively, we have had decent records with that same group when the manager was not poisoning the well from pre season.
I should have said our team instead of our backline, our problems clearly start at the front and our idea of a high press is having the front three chase the ball for the first five minutes of a match while the midfield amble about.

My point was that through a combination of poor coaching, a lack of a gameplan and no real competition for places we make players, whether they are marquees, youngsters or those with a point to prove look worse than they do for other teams. I don't really have any faith that players can consistently play well for us, if Shaw winning player of the year without looking particularly good defending or attacking typifies how bad we are individually.

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:19 PM
Ethers

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:22 PM
dunk

Handsome £#%&!ing bastard.

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
"Why men should have periods"

By Harriot Maguire for the guardian

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Withdraw the bid immediately

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:26 PM
messhead

Quote:
Arlene Foster looking well

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:28 PM
Vedder

Quote:
80 £#%&!ing million for this monstrosity

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:29 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
he looks like one of the AI generate faces on https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:33 PM
AK14

Quote:

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:34 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
"Why men should have periods"

By Harriot Maguire for the guardian
Got a Lol

Unread 15-07-2019, 09:36 PM