United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if our tactics were good, we'd have won away in barca and been able to put out a full team and crush chelsea.
well you know, in many ways we did win the tie in Barcelona.

arguably.

not that i can be arsed to argue. it's just not in my nature.

Unread 08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
well you know, in many ways we did win the tie in Barcelona.

arguably.

not that i can be arsed to argue. it's just not in my nature.
So we won away in Barca and didn't lose to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge either? No wonder you rate Fergie. Did we win the treble this year as well in your world?I bet we signed Zidane instead of Real Madrid, won the World Cup and brought about world peace as well did we?

Unread 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
So we won away in Barca and didn't lose to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge either? No wonder you rate Fergie. Did we win the treble this year as well in your world?I bet we signed Zidane instead of Real Madrid, won the World Cup and brought about world peace as well did we?
bore off

Unread 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Christ, that is almost as bad as your "Ronaldo wanting to leave shows Fergie is not the man manager he is hyped to be" argument the other day. Using 1 instance as a barometer.

And the Chelsea 2-1 game was very tight, a dodgy penalty and 2 off the line in the last few minutes changed the whole match.

Fergies tactics should nullify luck, dodgy decisions, injuries, weather conditions. Really he should be able to send out 10 rubbish bins and O'Shea and if he is a great tactician Utd should still win.

No-one can be perfect, but he has given us incredible success, perhaps Utd could have won another CL with the 99 squad, but it is a difficult trophy to win.
That's all very well but Brosuk's piece says that we beat Chelsea due to Fergie's tactical genius. If that's the case we would have beaten them at the Bridge as well. Are you saying we lost the league game due to bad luck and yet won the EC game due to tactical brilliance? Surely if you want to bring luck into the equation you have to do so in both games and if you want to bring in tactics, again you can't just look at the one game in isolation. That's all I'm saying.

Unread 08-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
bore off
So this world you live in has it's own language as well I see. You've made yourself out to look like a know nothing tw@. But we already knew that.

Have a great day.

Unread 08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
So this world you live in has it's own language as well I see. You've made yourself out to look like a know nothing tw@. But we already knew that.

Have a great day.
If only you had the brains to use such license eh

Unread 08-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
That's all very well but Brosuk's piece says that we beat Chelsea due to Fergie's tactical genius. If that's the case we would have beaten them at the Bridge as well. Are you saying we lost the league game due to bad luck and yet won the EC game due to tactical brilliance? Surely if you want to bring luck into the equation you have to do so in both games and if you want to bring in tactics, again you can't just look at the one game in isolation. That's all I'm saying.
I agree it is shortsighted to use one off games to judge a managers tactical ability. Fergies career shows he has generally made the right calls.

In the final I thought he waited too long in the second half before changing things. Scholes was struggling with the pace and his broken nose did not help, could have been subbed 20 mins before he did. When it did happen we gained a measure of control of midfield again.

My point about the Chelsea matches is that you can tactically make the right decisions but matters can be taken out of your hands by those other variables.

In the CL final if Utd get the second goal while on top and Chelsea do not get the lucky equalizer we go in at HT and Fergie looks likes a genius.

Unread 08-06-2008, 02:16 PM
borsuk

Quote:
That's all very well but Brosuk's piece says that we beat Chelsea due to Fergie's tactical genius.
where, exactly?

Unread 08-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I agree it is shortsighted to use one off games to judge a managers tactical ability. Fergies career shows he has generally made the right calls.

In the final I thought he waited too long in the second half before changing things. Scholes was struggling with the pace and his broken nose did not help, could have been subbed 20 mins before he did. When it did happen we gained a measure of control of midfield again.

My point about the Chelsea matches is that you can tactically make the right decisions but matters can be taken out of your hands by those other variables.

In the CL final if Utd get the second goal while on top and Chelsea do not get the lucky equalizer we go in at HT and Fergie looks likes a genius.
pretty much bang on the money there I'd say

maybe he took a little risk in leaving Carrick and Scholes a bit longer looking for their passing to spring the counter?

in the end the withdrawal of Rooney swung it back towards United imo

is there a player who deserves a break on the injury front more than Rooney?
Closed Thread