United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-02-2019, 02:31 PM
dunk

Talking

I’ve never been a massive fan of the suffocating football that Pep loves, but it was clearly dominating, so when LvG arrived and it looked like that was the way we’d decided to go, and having seen the success LvG had had with his football, and let’s be honest he has produced some fabulous teams, it made sense to put up with the short term pain for the long term gain. That and I was all for his youth promotion philosophy.

Obvs we’ve been brought up with Fergie’s football, but we thought that was gone, if we can have a version of that that can be successful that will always be the preference. And it appears Ole can be exactly that

Unread 10-02-2019, 02:37 PM
My Name is Keith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I’ve never been a massive fan of the suffocating football that Pep loves, but it was clearly dominating, so when LvG arrived and it looked like that was the way we’d decided to go, and having seen the success LvG had had with his football, and let’s be honest he has produced some fabulous teams, it made sense to put up with the short term pain for the long term gain. That and I was all for his youth promotion philosophy.

Obvs we’ve been brought up with Fergie’s football, but we thought that was gone, if we can have a version of that that can be successful that will always be the preference. And it appears Ole can be exactly that
Amen.

Unread 10-02-2019, 02:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Amen.
Still think with a bit more patience and time to suss out the players he wanted/needed LvG would’ve been successful

Unread 10-02-2019, 02:59 PM
ZiggyStardust

I’m pretty sure Ole wants us to keep the ball and control games better like the 2nd half yesterday but not at the expense of our penetrative play in the final 3rd

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:01 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
I’m pretty sure Ole wants us to keep the ball and control games better like the 2nd half yesterday but not at the expense of our penetrative play in the final 3rd
Honestly think we look more comfortable in possession and are moving the ball better when we have it since about 2011-12. Confidence slowly coming back and the players starting to have faith in themselves when on the ball

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Honestly think we look more comfortable in possession and are moving the ball better when we have it since about 2011-12. Confidence slowly coming back and the players starting to have faith in themselves when on the ball
Yep.

We're seeing games out a lot better now.

There were signs at Spurs and at home to Brighton that we would lose control of the game around the hour mark.

We seemed to improve that at arsenal in the cup and have seen out the Leicester and Fulham games a lot better.

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Arnold Muhren

He should already have a 6 year deal and statue for getting rid of Fellaini. Give him the job now ffs (hope Bunks is right and he’s already been given the nod.
As for in’s and out’s this summer. This is the sort of list we should have (likely we’d get two tops )
In:
Pavard
De Ligt
Koulibaly
Neves
Kante
Brooks
Sancho
Lewandowski

Out:
Darmian
Jones
Smalling
Mata
Rojo
Young
Lukaku
Sanchez

Greenwood, Chong and Gomes to be given some/more game time as well

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:08 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Muhren
He should already have a 6 year deal and statue for getting rid of Fellaini. Give him the job now ffs (hope Bunks is right and he’s already been given the nod.
As for in’s and out’s this summer. This is the sort of list we should have (likely we’d get two tops )
In:
Pavard
De Ligt
Koulibaly
Neves
Kante
Brooks
Sancho
Lewandowski

Out:
Darmian
Jones
Smalling
Mata
Rojo
Young
Lukaku
Sanchez

Not asking for much there mate...

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:12 PM
dunk

Quote:
In:
Pavard
De Ligt
Koulibaly
Neves
Kante
Brooks
Sancho
Pretty sure Pavard has signed for Munich, not arsed about Kante tbh.Agreed on the rest, can add..

Ndombele
Werner
Havertz
Mendy

To the list of potential signings. Be lucky to get 2-3 out of that lot though.

Atletico Madrid look to be coming to a crossroads, might be able to get someone out of there.. Koke, Saul, Partey, Hernandez...

Knocked Lewandowski off as I’m done with signing players at the back end of their careers and we need someone mobile who can interchange with the other forwards.

Quote:
Might be a bit too soon, but yeah. Tuanzabe as well.

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:15 PM
AK14

I’d be happy with Sancho, Neves and a CB this summer tbh

Gomes, Tuanzabe and Tofu to be promoted to the first team Squad to see if they’re ready to make the step up at the club.

Then look at adding another three or four the next summer.

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Clownbones

If he does get the job, and I think he will, his recruitment will be really interesting.

Like Fergie, he seems to put a lot of stock into a players personality and they'll 'get' playing for United.

His clearly defined style will hopefully see a change from is being linked with superstar signings that aren't needed and we're never going to get.

A right back, a right sided attacking player, a midfielder in the Matic mould.

Get rid of Darmian, Valencia and Rojo.

Lukaku could be gone if the money is good.

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:28 PM
puressence

I’d be amazed if utd stump up big money for 30 year players anymore

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:39 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
I’d be amazed if utd stump up big money for 30 year players anymore
yea we clearly said no to a lot of jose's transfers for that reason. we'd have about 4 more old @#%&!s if he had his way.

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:45 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
In:
Pavard
De Ligt
Koulibaly
Neves
Kante
Brooks
Sancho
Lewandowski

Out:
Darmian
Jones
Smalling
Mata
Rojo
Young
Lukaku
Sanchez

We will get 1 or 2 signings not he’ll be expected to maximise the squad we have unfortunately.

He loves the club, loves his job so will be a glazer stooge.

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Bit of a serious footy question rather than snide tbh. I sense the lads that supported vaan gals reign did so because they wanted united to play with that possession based game which is obviously very successful when done correctly - but I always thought that style was the antithesis of united (playing on the break etc).

Ole’s style is very much how united have played for aslong as I can remember. But is it an outdated style that will ultimately be unsuccessful against teams like city etc?
Reason the scouser has have success against the Divs is their ability to muller them on the break, tbf. Same as when Madrid absolutely dicked Bayern with the bald @#%&! in charge.

Unread 10-02-2019, 03:55 PM
suedeshoes

Should go all-out for Brookes from Bournemouth and Wan-Bissaka from Palace.

Unread 10-02-2019, 04:14 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Reason the scouser has have success against the Divs is their ability to muller them on the break, tbf. Same as when Madrid absolutely dicked Bayern with the bald @#%&! in charge.
Absolutely.

We spent two years overcomplicating things under Mourinho

Attacking in numbers with good players doesn't really go out of fashion.

Unread 10-02-2019, 04:25 PM
mucs

will ole be on our tour of oz?
think he will be delighted with thye numbers travelling from the uk if hes still in charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucs
will ole be on our tour of oz?
think he will be delighted with the numbers travelling from the uk if hes still in charge

Unread 10-02-2019, 04:30 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Should go all-out for Brookes from Bournemouth and Wan-Bissaka from Palace.
These are exactly the types we should be getting

Unread 10-02-2019, 05:32 PM
ziggyman17

deffo deserves the job, I would love to know who was the one who decided to give him the job in December, have we found out who it was ?
Closed Thread