United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2019, 02:01 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Ok it could have been 8-3 ffs.

I was happy at HT. We had played to our plan well. That second half was a tough chore. Not sure how we got out with three points.

Overall, let's not get carried away. We have four months left of Ole's interim.
Isn’t this exactly what you wanted though; the club to have a structured, clear vision on it’s philosophy, playing style and promotion of youth?

Unread 14-01-2019, 02:01 AM
Neo

Football

One thing that I believe goes somewhat under the radar is the quality of players Pochettino has at his disposal. Everyone talks about how good this Spurs side are, and how good they are to watch, and how they’ve improved so much as a club in recent years, but IMO, this has all been done with a largely average group of players.

The centre backs are nowhere near as good as some of the great defenders that have gone on to win the Premier League, and elsewhere, other than Kane, the team has no genuine world class players. Eriksen came from the Dutch league when no big club was interested, and Son has only really blossomed this season.

This is all down to Pochettino. He’s completely transformed the culture and ambitions of the club, got them overachieving massively despite barely any investment, and has developed practically all of his players. It’s very impressive, and perhaps more impressive than Pep winning a title having had a blank chequebook, and certainly more impressive than anything Mourinho did at United.

Ole is doing a sensational job so far as interim manager, but the role of interim is completely different to that of full-time coach. United need to be looking at building over the next 3-4 years into the position of Europe’s best club again, and, for me, Pochettino still has the best credentials for that challenge, given all the requirements of the task. Would obviously love nothing more than to see Ole lead us back to the top, but a part of me feels that’s my heart overriding my head.

Unread 14-01-2019, 02:37 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Isn’t this exactly what you wanted though; the club to have a structured, clear vision on it’s philosophy, playing style and promotion of youth?
Not sure why any of that would mean I have to pretend we didn't get away with it a bit today

Unread 14-01-2019, 04:43 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Not sure why any of that would mean I have to pretend we didn't get away with it a bit today
We were talking about two things: The nature of today’s game and Solskjaer’s suitability to be permanent manager. Clearly I was referring to the latter, but I’m pretty sure you knew that.

The way you act confused about the most rudimentary stuff is really quite odd. Are you secretly Throb?

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:14 AM
jem

Quote:
We were talking about two things: The nature of today’s game and Solskjaer’s suitability to be permanent manager. Clearly I was referring to the latter, but I’m pretty sure you knew that.

The way you act confused about the most rudimentary stuff is really quite odd. Are you secretly Throb?
low blow.

not sure whether to love or question ole for refusing to divulge any info on tactics after the game we had secretly won. you can take the "it's not about me" act too far. :0)

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:29 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Just gutted we beat his local team

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:46 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven

he just comes across as a nice humble man. maybe that's what these players need. just a nice guy to get them onside and get the best out of them. we've tried going down the alpha male big ego balls out route with van gaal and mourinho to disastrous results.

but also a nice guy who can command respect. moyes was a nice guy but he couldn't do the latter.
He commands respect because he's done it as a player. Six titles,two FA cups and the winning goal in a European cup final.

Unread 14-01-2019, 06:51 AM
ScarFace

I would have been happy with any result today, as long as we attacked and basically did the opposite of Jose......we did even better

If he carries on this well...he will 100% get the job due to how cheap he is and how hard the guy we want will be to get.

He has to carry on though for the rest of the season to have a chance.

Unread 14-01-2019, 08:00 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Just gutted we beat his local team
Offended by that tbh.

Unread 14-01-2019, 09:11 AM
browser

Thumbs up

Sign him up! Grinning like a pillock watching this interview.

Unread 14-01-2019, 09:48 AM
puressence

quick one spurs had no shots on target first half we could have been 3 up ...

Unread 14-01-2019, 10:13 AM
solidstool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Yeah, that's a fair point.

He has more experience of managing Manchester United than any manager hired before him.
Matt Busby, second stint?

Unread 14-01-2019, 10:17 AM
redhegemony

Unread 14-01-2019, 10:19 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
He explains a bit of the second half performance here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWNKDAVmAuE
theres a reason hes comeback 20 years after barca ...its on like a mother £#%&!er

Unread 14-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
He explains a bit of the second half performance here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWNKDAVmAuE
Wow,looks like he doesn't want the full time gig....

Unread 14-01-2019, 10:43 AM
ZiggyStardust

We were the better team for the first 60 or 65 mins so the tactical plan from Ole worked however the legs of the side went after that

We couldn't close them down so their creative players could pick players out at will and we didn't have the energy for counter attacks
That's why Spurs created so many chances in that period

That doesn't worry me as it's nothing to do with coaching or tactics or quality but is simply a result of the players not yet ready to play an intense pressing game for 90 mins
I also imagine a lot of the hard work in Dubai took something out of our players legs but a month from now when we play PSG I think we'll be able to keep it up for the full 90 mins

Unread 14-01-2019, 10:47 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
"Attacking football and going forward, that's what Manchester United is about.... not stupid squares and backpassing.

Stupid squares

Unread 14-01-2019, 10:49 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
We were the better team for the first 60 or 65 mins so the tactical plan from Ole worked however the legs of the side went after that

We couldn't close them down so their creative players could pick players out at will and we didn't have the energy for counter attacks
That's why Spurs created so many chances in that period

That doesn't worry me as it's nothing to do with coaching or tactics or quality but is simply a result of the players not yet ready to play an intense pressing game for 90 mins
I also imagine a lot of the hard work in Dubai took something out of our players legs but a month from now when we play PSG I think we'll be able to keep it up for the full 90 mins
That's true. Souness pointed to the week in the sun, travelling, hard training, less game time/match fitness, different beds etc. as reasons for the legs going, but they haven't been fit enough for 2 years, consistently out-ran and out-worked throughout Mourinho's reign. It'll take more than a week in Dubai to rectify.

Unread 14-01-2019, 10:54 AM
windy waffles

Be VERY interesting if we beat PSG (even if we don't progress past the quarters) and either get top four or just miss out on it. Be a very brave man to say "Thanks for all you've done Ole but we don't need you anymore...". Especially with all of the fans on his side.

No one was really expecting us to get top four anyway when Ole came to the club. We should win on Saturday which will make it 7 wins on the spin. We will have a defeat here and there this season, that goes without saying, but all we wanted initially was to be playing better football and that is plain to see.

I have been Pro-Poch for a very long time but if someone said to me now Ole or spend £50m getting in Poch, I'd take Ole all day long...

Unread 14-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That's true. Souness pointed to the week in the sun, travelling, hard training, less game time/match fitness, different beds etc. as reasons for the legs going, but they haven't been fit enough for 2 years, consistently out-ran and out-worked throughout Mourinho's reign. It'll take more than a week in Dubai to rectify.
Spurs are one of the fittest teams in the league too.

They saw a lot the ball and, you know, they're good.

Good teams have a tendency to work you hard.

I'd expect us to be £#%&!ed towards the end of a hard fought victory away to one of the best teams in the league.
Closed Thread