United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Coracao

Default Juventus - Where do you rank them on a global scale?

When you get in conversations over here about the biggest clubs in the world, it seems as though people always bring up Madrid, Barca and Milan.

Despite this, as far as i'm aware Juventus are seen as the biggest club in Italy with the largest fanbase, despite shite attendances. I'd also imagine that they are less of a pull for players than Milan.

I'm not sure how the two compare 'fanbase' wise when you take into account Africa, Asia and South America.

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:47 PM
armchair

Juve>Milan.

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Jack Duckworth

juve have always been my favourite italian team, probably due to the epic battles we used to have with them in the late 90s.

i'd say they are up there with the best of them.

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:50 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
juve have always been my favourite italian team, probably due to the epic battles we used to have with them in the late 90s.

i'd say they are up there with the best of them.
the games in early 80s were better

platini was £#%&!ing awesome ..also the pole upfront i cant believe ive forgot his name

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:50 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence

platini was £#%&!ing awesome ..also the pole upfront i cant believe ive forgot his name
Boniek

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence

i was only born in 81 ffs

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
Boniek
bless you.

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:52 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
Boniek
yeah ginger haired player ..did he score aginst us in both legs in 84 .. pretty sure he bagged the last min winner in the away leg

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Juve>Milan.
Milan have 17 domestic titles compared with Juve's 27, but 7 European Cups against Juve's 2... so I guess it depends on what scale you'd weight European success.

IMO... Milan are the bigger side.

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:53 PM
dunk

They are huge, the most successful domestically in Italy, i think, but the perception here is that they are poorly supported, as the stadium always seems empty, and corrupt. So this probably counts against them in the glamour stakes.

I think the move to the Delle Alpi has always hindered them and that a move to a new stadium back on the site of the 'Old' stadium would re-juvenate them immesurably, whether they have the funding to do it, I don't know, I remember reading that there were plans afoot to do just that not so long ago, though.

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
They are huge, the most successful domestically in Italy, i think, but the perception here is that they are poorly supported, as the stadium always seems empty, and corrupt. So this probably counts against them in the glamour stakes.

I think the move to the Delle Alpi has always hindered them and that a move to a new stadium back on the site of the 'Old' stadium would re-juvenate them immesurably, whether they have the funding to do it, I don't know, I remember reading that there were plans afoot to do just that not so long ago, though.
I'm not sure if they were moving or the Delle Alpi was being redeveloped, I thought they had moved out of there at one point, not sure though.

Don't they get a dock-off amount of money off their own tv deals?

Unread 16-09-2008, 12:59 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Milan have 17 domestic titles compared with Juve's 27, but 7 European Cups against Juve's 2... so I guess it depends on what scale you'd weight European success.

IMO... Milan are the bigger side.
Juve are Italy's team. AC weren't anywhere close prior to being taken over by the king of italy, berlusconi. No club is bigger in italy than juve.

Unread 16-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Juve are Italy's team. AC weren't anywhere close prior to being taken over by the king of italy, berlusconi. No club is bigger in italy than juve.
juve have the most supporters in italy and are the most successful in italy.

Unread 16-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Baron

Quote:
I know Juve have a huge fan base in Italy, not dissimilar to us, a real Love/Hate thing. But on the global scale, Milan are bigger imo, mainly due to the large amount of European success.

Unread 16-09-2008, 01:08 PM
MrBishi

There were plans to rebuild a smaller, 40,000 seater stadium within the old Delle Alpi stadium itself, but they've basically fallen on their arse from wht I can tell. Looks like they'll be playing at the Communale for the medium term.

Juve have always been one of the very biggest names for me, but just don't have that little bit extra that makes a club like Milan or Barca special. It's probably 'cos of their support - if I were a player, there'd be something special about playing in front of 100,000 in the Nou Camp or in a Milanese derby, but at a half-full (if that) Delle Alpi, even for big games, wouldn't have done anything for me at all.

Plus I'm still bitter about the Calciopoli thing. They must have known they'd make a big fuss and an appeal, and as such should've given them a much harder original punihsment. Something that would've guaranteed they wouldn't come straight back after one year.

Unread 16-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

i've been in the Delle Alpi when full and i really enjoyed it, amazing back drop of the mountains and the Juve end was jumping. unfortuantely arsenal knocked them out that night and nedved got sent off

interestingly the pomposity of the milanese is akin to parisians but all the eople i know who have to work in Milan hate it and love Turin as it has its own cultural scene and identity ie more like manc

Unread 16-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Pop

Utd/Madrid
Barcelona
Milan
Juve/Bayern Munich

On a global scale possibly a top 5 club.

Despite the scandal of a few years ago they have always been my favoured side when watching others teams.

Unread 16-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Utd/Madrid
Barcelona
Milan
Juve/Bayern Munich

On a global scale possibly a top 5 club.

Despite the scandal of a few years ago they have always been my favoured side when watching others teams.
in fairness, i reckon liverpool and ajax would have to be up there.

Unread 16-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Fountz

Cool 4th biggest.

After United, Real and Barca.

Biggest Italian side. At least half the population support them.

Milan fifth, and Liverpool and Bayern fighting it out for sixth.

Unread 16-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Stickman

Milan>Juve>Inter
Closed Thread