United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Crumps

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
sorry uber red! At least I got it down to 2! It was scoreboard end though, that much I'm certain of.

You are correct about which end it was scored.

I suppose it could have been worse, you could have thought that Coley scored it.

Unread 07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
LH_88

Whole of the North Stand on their feet.

Back in the day when we could still get it going when we wanted to.

Unread 07-11-2007, 01:16 PM
George Bestial

Remember that red smoke bomb that went off as the players were walking out?

Unread 07-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH_88
Whole of the North Stand on their feet.

Back in the day when we could still get it going when we wanted to.
different crowd.

Think of what we had won in that season compared to what we have now. The expectations (and ticket prices) are higher.

Unread 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo (no capital at the start)
different crowd.

Think of what we had won in that season compared to what we have now. The expectations (and ticket prices) are higher.
My ticket would have cost about a fiver that night.

Unread 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesale
Giggs best euro.
He looked the best in the world that night, playing in Central midfield alongside Beckham and Johnsen, magnificent night, but the 3-2 against Juve he was even better, Fiorentina 3-1 he was astonishing and even the first Madrid match at OT when we lost 3-2 he was amazing, played them on his own that night, rest of the players bottled it while he was ripping them apart.

Porto was a great match, the first statement by that Utd side, English sides had no pedigree in Europe at that stage, Utd went out and won it back over the next 2/3 years.

Unread 07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
believe

the best euro performance i've ever seen was when keano had to play at centre half against juve. £#%&! me he was awesome. i could never understand why he didn't play centre half towards the end of his career.

Unread 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM
SilverSurfer

TBH, I'd forgotten just how quick Giggsy was at his peak. Brilliant night, but as another poster said, he since played even better.

Eric's best performance in Europe for us by some distance too.

Unread 08-11-2007, 08:47 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up bttt

Unread 08-11-2007, 08:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
To think, Porto were among the favorites to win it that year
Didn't they give Milan a bit of a hammering in the group phase? I remember them being really hyped that year. Domingos and Mario Jardel up front; that little Serbian winger out wide left; Paulinho Santos, Jorge Costa etc. Like you say, they were much fancied that year.

Unread 08-11-2007, 08:56 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Didn't they give Milan a bit of a hammering in the group phase? I remember them being really hyped that year. Domingos and Mario Jardel up front; that little Serbian winger out wide left; Paulinho Santos, Jorge Costa etc. Like you say, they were much fancied that year.
Yea, they had a great side. I'd forgotten about Costa! At the time, I was young enough not to indulge in the Doom. Was boasting all week at school we'd have them - never imagined I'd see us win 4 - 0 though

Leaving the ground last season after the Roma 7-1, I thought back to this game. Something very special about hammering a top continental side in the European Cup

For some reason, I can't remember a thing about the away leg. I'm certain I watched it, but cannot recall a single moment from that game

Unread 08-11-2007, 09:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yea, they had a great side. I'd forgotten about Costa! At the time, I was young enough not to indulge in the Doom. Was boasting all week at school we'd have them - never imagined I'd see us win 4 - 0 though
Yeah, I didn't really know anything about Porto at the time but I remember an edition of World Soccer coming out prior to the game with a big feature on them as the team everyone feared. I would imagine they were favourites for that tie with us.

Unread 08-11-2007, 09:24 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yeah, I didn't really know anything about Porto at the time but I remember an edition of World Soccer coming out prior to the game with a big feature on them as the team everyone feared. I would imagine they were favourites for that tie with us.
Huge favorites, especially with the European press. Remember, we'd already lost at home twice that season. Really was a big shock that we won by such a margin. I was convinced we'd win it that year... that Dortmund game left a young Watcher in tears walking down SMB Way

Unread 08-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Dueling Banjos

Quote:

Leaving the ground last season after the Roma 7-1, I thought back to this game. Something very special about hammering a top continental side in the European Cup

For some reason, I can't remember a thing about the away leg. I'm certain I watched it, but cannot recall a single moment from that game
I remember it for the chaos behind the stadium. Never been as scared as I was that night.

Unread 08-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Sparky***

Brian Moore. RIP Was such a great commentator, look at the tossers we're left with now. When giggs scored against Juve the season after this game "OOOh I don't believe that!"

I was in college when we played porto that night. Back when the champions league was exactly that; a league for champions. 7-0's and 8-0's were unheard of and every home game was electric.

The game against Dortmund at Old trafford was horrible though, god did we miss some chances that night.

Unread 08-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Los Diablos Rojos

I used to buzz off the Champions League anthem in those days, with the big £#%&! off flag in the centre circle.

Those were they days when most of Manchester seemed to be on a half-day for the big European nights, getting on it in town. Long Legs would be abso@#%&!ely packed at around 3pm.

Unread 08-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Ed Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Diablos Rojos
I used to buzz off the Champions League anthem in those days, with the big £#%&! off flag in the centre circle.

Those were they days when most of Manchester seemed to be on a half-day for the big European nights, getting on it in town. Long Legs would be abso@#%&!ely packed at around 3pm.
couldn't beat OT on a cold, midweek, winters night in the champs league

Used to get hairs on my neck stand up walking up SMB way for any group match.

Unread 08-11-2007, 09:56 PM
pteppic

Default I'd just had a double hernia operation

I settled down expecting (and secretly hoping for) a quiet 1-0 (or, preferable, 0-0). I nearly ruptured my stitches every times we scored, £#%&!ing agony!

Unread 08-11-2007, 10:53 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

teapot was at his peak this era

Unread 08-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Zorg

Watching that has made me realise I still have feelings for Eric.

I need to tell him before it's too late.
Closed Thread