United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Zorg

Default Re: General mutterings and observations from Saturday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
:bi:

Unread 30-05-2011, 11:53 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I've never worked out how the £#%&! they manage them knots tbh, so I'm going to need some help

A dose of reality or uncertainty is not often well received on here is it
i'm going to go with the 'he's managed transitions before, he'll do it this time as well' option myself. the club has been preparing for scholes' and giggs' departures for some time, it's not like they're going to be caught on the hoof and i have a lot of confidence in anderson to become a fixture in our midfield, though i think we need a quality ball-playing creative type beside him.

the thing that scares me isn't scholes or giggs going, it's fergie stepping down.

Unread 30-05-2011, 11:57 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i'm going to go with the 'he's managed transitions before, he'll do it this time as well' option myself. the club has been preparing for scholes' and giggs' departures for some time, it's not like they're going to be caught on the hoof and i have a lot of confidence in anderson to become a fixture in our midfield, though i think we need a quality ball-playing creative type beside him.

the thing that scares me isn't scholes or giggs going, it's fergie stepping down.
The circumstances in which he has managed transitions in the past have been vastly different in terms of financial position and the competition for players, even the number of players available. I have no doubt Fergie is the only man for the job and we're £#%&!ing lucky he loves a challenge, as he could easily turn it in whenever he likes and no-one could complain.

As for Anderson, you have more faith than me. He's got flat £#%&!ing duck feet, I have little to no faith in him becoming a fixture in the midfield, if only because he'll never be fit enough.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Can't quite believe the anderson hype, I suppose in absence players can suddenly become what is missing. But he's not what United are missing. He's good against lower league sides at OT and that is it.

JakeB

Quote:
No. It's all felt very odd to me.
Well, perhaps make the most of a summer break!

Unread 30-05-2011, 11:58 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
Well, perhaps make the most of a summer break!
I intend to.

Unread 30-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Redordead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Can't quite believe the anderson hype, I suppose in absence players can suddenly become what is missing. But he's not what United are missing. He's good against lower league sides at OT and that is it.
Agreed Fuzzy however i said the same about fletcher, maybe ando will have a step up and bring his A game, he looks out of shape to me, which I dont get with the dietitians and that there.

park valencia nani young giggs fletcher Ando modric

welbeck cleverly gibson in reserve fighting to get in

seems ok to me, add big wes to that lot and you would really fancy it.

Unread 30-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Fountz

Quote:
No. It's all felt very odd to me.
wake your ideas up man.. snap out of it.. depression !! ...very bad thing.. very bad.

Unread 30-05-2011, 12:45 PM
magic_cantona

Thumbs down Re: General mutterings and observations from Saturday night.

Quote:
It really doesn't feel like we won the league to me. The circumstances were a bit shit, the glory day was the game against Chelsea, we confirmed it in the shadow of the FA Cup final thanks to £#%&!ing ridiculous scheduling by the FA as a result of the CL and then the celebrations when we eventually got the trophy were all a bit anti-climatic and over shadowed by the prospect of the CL final, which turned out to be hell on earth, again.

There are many reasons to be positive for next season, I worry about the Youth team, who have been one of the highlights of this season, now have to put up with £#%&!ing reserve football, I just £#%&!ing hope it doesn't stifle them as it has so many in the past, watching the twins, Smalling and Hernandez has been one of the other highlights, as has the progress of Welbeck and to a lesser extent Cleverley, so looking forward to those 2 returning, but beyond that

For £#%&!s sake Dunk, will you have a quiet word with yourself.

This is almost a bad a post as the one in which you said "Yes, I know we won the European Cup and League title in one season, but all I can remember that season for is City beating us".

£#%&!ing hell, you might as well stop watching football.We've just won a record 19th title and lost in the FINAL of a European Cup ffs and you feel all morose and suicidal?!I hate this phrase, I really do, but £#%&!ing man up will you.

Jesus £#%&!ing christ and the £#%&!ing orphans.

Unread 30-05-2011, 12:51 PM
red in cumbria

Is dunkers hoping for a column in Red Ish??

Unread 30-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

won the league in the shadow of the fa cup final? are you sure?

united did more to devalue the fa cup this season than they've ever done

Unread 30-05-2011, 01:45 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
This general air of resignation is rather frustrating.. and the thought of waiting until the Barca squad splits up before we take the European Cup seriously is shameful.
Well said Fountz.

Unread 30-05-2011, 01:56 PM
MJ Ramone

My biggest worry is 'when is the next Final gonna come along?' - we've had 3 in 4 seasons - & only won 1
It could be the best part of a decade before we reach another.
I'm not saying that in a doomlord way, just that you never know what's gonna happen.

In 2002 Real Madrid fans would never have believed you if you'd said to them - You're gonna have to wait at least a decade to reach another Final.

It's shameful to be feeling so down after a season in which we've become the most successful side in English Football history, but to lose 2 European Cup Finals on the bounce is so £#%&!ing hard to take - regardless of the opponent.

Unread 30-05-2011, 02:05 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
but to lose 2 European Cup Finals on the bounce is so £#%&!ing hard to take - regardless of the opponent.
Could be worse, Benfica have lost the last five they've played in!

Unread 30-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
My biggest worry is 'when is the next Final gonna come along?' - we've had 3 in 4 seasons - & only won 1
I'm not saying that in a doomlord way, just that you never know what's gonna happen.

In 2002 Real Madrid fans would never have believed you if you'd said to them - You're gonna have to wait at least a decade to reach another Final.

It's shameful to be feeling so down after a season in which we've become the most successful side in English Football history, but to lose 2 European Cup Finals on the bounce is so £#%&!ing hard to take - regardless of the opponent.
it is hard to be so close to something that makes you so happy but to not quite be able to take it. but we weren't the best team. the two times fergie's won the european cup United were not only fully deserving winners, but were also able to make a very good claim to be the best team in europe. in 20o8/09 we were the best team right up to the semi-final but barcelona (desrvedly) took the number one spot by winning the final. and this season we are clearly only the second best team in europe.

united went into the 10/11 season with the best squad in england and with one of the best in europe. if you look at it like that then the season has delivered its full potential.

Unread 30-05-2011, 02:22 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it is hard to be so close to something that makes you so happy but to not quite be able to take it. but we weren't the best team. the two times fergie's won the european cup United were not only fully deserving winners, but were also able to make a very good claim to be the best team in europe. in 20o8/09 we were the best team right up to the semi-final but barcelona (desrvedly) took the number one spot by winning the final. and this season we are clearly only the second best team in europe.

united went into the 10/11 season with the best squad in england and with one of the best in europe. if you look at it like that then the season has delivered its full potential.
I agree completely.
I just get so fed up when we lose these kinda games!...well, any games really.

Unread 30-05-2011, 02:23 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
I'm not saying that in a doomlord way, just that you never know what's gonna happen..
I usually think that that, that we surely can't get to another so soon etc, but I think it's a different game now. Look at schalke getting to the semi finals. I think if you're a decent team these days you're guaranteed to get to at least the semis. Of course you still may get unlucky and get knocked out, but if we spend a bit of money this summer I see no reason why we cannot get to the final next year, again.

Unread 30-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up Re: General mutterings and observations from Saturday night.

Quote:
I agree completely.
I just get so fed up when we lose these kinda games!...well, any games really.
glad to see someone finally agreeing that we have the best squad in england

Unread 30-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Harri Jaffa

Before the game I was sure that going 4-4-2, in fact the exact team the Fergie played was the way to go.

10 minutes in was still thinking the same thing.

20 minutes in I knew it was wrong. We badly needed another body in midfield. For all the bravado about how we should make them worry about us, there really is little barca need to worry about if we don't have the ball.

Should have played 4-5-1, probably with Anderson but a fit Fletcher would have been better.

Unread 30-05-2011, 02:35 PM
dunk

I'm not sure why I feel underwhelmed at us winning the title, as I said the circumstances were a bit £#%&!ed up, but i think a lot of it is that I just haven't enjoyed the season as a whole. There has been the odd moment and positive but mostly it has been hard work and disappointing in terms of performances. Almost constantly 1 step forward 1 back with performances, off field shit like Rooney, the FA, Giggs, VDS, Nev, Valencia's leg, just one thing after another. There was a relief at winning the title against all the odds, but it just felt odd.

Sorry.
Closed Thread