United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:08 PM
tatty

Default It'll be a while before we have a season like this again

I wasn't concerned about the future in '95 when we shipped out Kanchelskis, Hughes and Ince.

And in the years we've missed out on trophies between then and now i've always thought we were just marking time before moving forward again.

This season we've achieved far more than we should have done with the players we've got. Next season will see a few departures of the old guard and I wouldn't be surprised to see Fergie and Rooney go in the next 12 months.

Set against that is the relative lack of funding against teams that are clearly improving in the PL and we've no chance of getting this far in Europe next season.

I think the 1993 to 2011 era has come to an end and we face a long and difficult journey back.

Grim.

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Kill All Hippies

Default Re: It'll be a while before we have a season like this again

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I wasn't concerned about the future in '95 when we shipped out Kanchelskis, Hughes and Ince.

And in the years we've missed out on trophies between then and now i've always thought we were just marking time before moving forward again.

This season we've achieved far more than we should have done with the players we've got. Next season will see a few departures of the old guard and I wouldn't be surprised to see Fergie and Rooney go in the next 12 months.

Set against that is the relative lack of funding against teams that are clearly improving in the PL and we've no chance of getting this far in Europe next season.

I think the 1993 to 2011 era has come to an end and we face a long and difficult journey back.

Grim.
Are you a journalist?

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:12 PM
JakeB

What a load of utter shit.

And all the indications are we will be spending and hopefully improving this summer. The youth team just won the youth cup. I know we've just lost a huge game, but ffs

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Tatty's had a mare this evening, soft @#%&!

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:15 PM
dunk

We'll be better next season, and the season after that and so on and so forth.

We're a work in progress, not one person gave us a prayer of being where we got this season, just wait, I fancy another CL final in the next couple of years, easy.

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:15 PM
tatty

Nah, nothing as exciting as journalism for me.

We're nowhere near the '94 or '99 sides which wouldn't matter so much if other teams weren't improving as quickly as they are with financial backing that we don't have.

I'm not being a doom merchant and I don't think we deserve to be winning something every year either, god knows I supported us when we were shit.

Unpopular view i'm sure but that's what I think and I suspect i'm not alone.

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:16 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Grim.

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:17 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Nah, nothing as exciting as journalism for me.

We're nowhere near the '94 or '99 sides which wouldn't matter so much if other teams weren't improving as quickly as they are with financial backing that we don't have.

I'm not being a doom merchant and I don't think we deserve to be winning something every year either, god knows I supported us when we were shit.

Unpopular view i'm sure but that's what I think and I suspect i'm not alone.
You do realise how good the team that just beat us is don't you?

I expect lots will disagree, but I don't think our 94, 99, or 08 teams would beat the current Barcelona side when they play at the top of their game as they did today.

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB
You do realise how good the team that just beat us is don't you?

I expect lots will disagree, but I don't think our 94, 99, or 08 teams would beat the current Barcelona side when they play at the top of their game as they did today.
They'd have put 6 past the 94 side.

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:22 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Tatty's had a mare this evening, soft @#%&!
this

i can understand anybody imploding tonight tbf

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:23 PM
red in cumbria

Tatty, I was a lot more pessimistic about the future of this club a year ago than I am now - tonight notwithstanding.

Cheer up

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:24 PM
armchair

did you feel this way straight after winning the league?

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:43 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
did you feel this way straight after winning the league?
Worse.

Right thread, wrong time i'd agree but I stand by my point that our squad without VDS, Scholes and Giggs - plus other likely departures; Berbatov, Owen etc isn't anywhere near good enough to repeat this season.

Not a problem in years past where financially we had the clout to outspend to patch-up but that is no longer the case.

And whilst i'm warming to my theme, how long do you think Rooney will stay after Fergie goes?

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:45 PM
armchair

I'd say we have 3 years max of each. Think we'll spend more than usual this summer.

Mr_Ed

Tatty's right... We're on the way down. Still nice whilst it lasted.

SAF should have had more but them Catalunians have been very good this last 3 years.

Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
They'd have put 6 past the 94 side.
Down to 7 men after 20 mins as well.

Unread 28-05-2011, 10:50 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Worse.

Right thread, wrong time i'd agree but I stand by my point that our squad without VDS, Scholes and Giggs - plus other likely departures; Berbatov, Owen etc isn't anywhere near good enough to repeat this season.

Not a problem in years past where financially we had the clout to outspend to patch-up but that is no longer the case.

And whilst i'm warming to my theme, how long do you think Rooney will stay after Fergie goes?
Oh, please

And when did Giggs announce he was retiring??

Unread 28-05-2011, 11:39 PM
redmike

We'll be ok, i'd back us against any side.

Except those pesky catalans.

Unread 28-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Macca1990

Quote:

Grim.
Closed Thread