Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Speckled Sod

Default Re: Team v Barca - The Official Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
think scholes might start
My bank balance will be on him picking up a red if he starts. The way he was going into tackles vs juve?? He'd be off within 30 minutes vs barca. No way he starts. He'll be on as a sub second half if needed.

Unread 27-05-2011, 10:48 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That Messi fella has got a couple...
yes, but aside from messi taking on our whole £#%&!ing team, their goal threat is pathetic compared to ours. and we've got a half-decent defence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Jem, no Park? Are you maaaad? His energy and positional discipline will be crucial. He's become vital in games like this.
fergie will pick park for sure.

however, whilst he looked good against chelsea (only in part because chelsea were shit) I don't see him being as effective against barca and good nani offers so much more if/when we get the ball. park is the sensible option (bad nani might as well not play). but we may get one chance, outside the area, and good nani can win us the cup. anyway, I've got fabio to do park's job.

Unread 27-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
A £#%&!ing balancing trick if ever there was one. They deserve respect, but then not so much as to shit it, we deserve recognition for the best defence in Europe & our record of reaching 3 of the last 4 finals... but our away form domestically has been laughable... is this an away game? It's not Old Trafford so it is to me.

I'd go with Bedders side, I was convinced a few weeks ago that 4-3-3 with Nani & Valencia flanking Rooney was the way forward, but after the Chelsea display - comfortably the best of the season - I'd stick with that. Especially if Park can reproduce that high tempo, high quality performance - he used the ball £#%&!loads better than he has for a while & in this game that will be the key. How we treat the ball, give it away cheaply & we will expose ourselves to rapid Messi dribbles (I'm actually doing a £#%&!ing rain dance as well to help counter the midget @#%&!s ability to run with it & sapping his energy) so as we would usually do against Arsenal, just push them wide.

Arsenal actually did have a relatively smart game plan, to attack far more after 70mins, Barca's high tempo pressing game will kill them at Wembley - especially if it's a soggy pitch.

Shitting vast amounts of bricks.

I agree with all of that apart from the Arsenal bit

By the time Van Persie fluked the first goal, Barca should have been at least 3 or 4 nil up, what with Messi missing one on ones and a perfectly legit goal not give.

Real madrid, played the same tactic (high line etc) and that time Barca didn't £#%&! up and won 5 - 0.

That Arsenal game in now way shows how to play against Barcelona

Unread 27-05-2011, 10:51 AM
denis lawless

break their legs....their bench is shit

Unread 27-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
I agree with all of that apart from the Arsenal bit

By the time Van Persie fluked the first goal, Barca should have been at least 3 or 4 nil up, what with Messi missing one on ones and a perfectly legit goal not give.

Real madrid, played the same tactic (high line etc) and that time Barca didn't £#%&! up and won 5 - 0.

That Arsenal game in now way shows how to play against Barcelona
The last few times Arsenal have played them they have ridden their luck, but Barca did, & do, tire around the 70 - 75mins mark...

If we incorporate enough of our defensive quality & attacking nous, then really have a chance to steam at them for the last 20 I'd be happy.

I just hope we haven't shot ourselves in the foot by chasing shadows for long periods ourselves before then.

Unread 27-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Big Norm

Quote:
The last few times Arsenal have played them they have ridden their luck, but Barca did, & do, tire around the 70 - 75mins mark...

If we incorporate enough of our defensive quality & attacking nous, then really have a chance to steam at them for the last 20 I'd be happy.

I just hope we haven't shot ourselves in the foot by chasing shadows for long periods ourselves before then.
That's the main issue for me. If we start with 5 in the middle and Rooney up top alone, then bring Cheech on with 25 mins left, Rooney may well be £#%&!ed after chasing lost causes for the previous hour and a bit.

Unread 27-05-2011, 11:05 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
what's the point?

Vds
Smalling Rio Vidic Evans
Rafael O'Shea Brown Evra
Fletcher

Rooney (who needs to basically be a 10th defender)

'and the clocked stopped never to chime again when the old man died'

Unread 27-05-2011, 11:10 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:

Barcelona do have a tendency to tire/take their foot off the gas at points. It's virtually impossible to maintain the standard and tempo that they do for 90 minutes, but it's how much they crumble when their level drops that I think we can get at.

Arsenal beat them over 90 minutes, so there's nothing wrong with looking at how they did that. Yes, they rode their luck, but they were still in a position to win the game and did so. Barca were all over the place for 20 minutes and didn't have the fortitude to see it out. They did the same the previous year when they came down from 2 down to draw. Again, once the legs tired and the pressure came, they crumbled. Even in the supposedly impregnable Nou Camp, they shit themselves after the own goal and were Nicklas Bendtner controlling the ball properly away from being knocked out.
Madrid took the game to them in Nou Camp and got a draw and could've won the match. Also, once again, when they equalised, there was a short period where Barca were unnerved.
I may sound like I'm clutching at straws, but I think it's weakness, however small, and we should be looking to expose any weaknesses.

How we set up against Arsenal should be our template. Congest the midfield, crowd them out once they get into the final third, let them have it wide etc. The key, for me, is how we are once we get the ball. Our natural instinct is to counter-attack, but in doing so we risk giving the ball away and we might not see it again for a while. It then has the knock-on effect of being tiring and also saps confidence once we get the ball back again: Because we haven't had it any, we shit ourselves and give it straight back. It's what we do to smaller sides, so we need to be mature and confident enough to accept we'll have less of the ball, but play to our strengths when we do. That's the fine nature of the balance between doing our own thing, but also recognising how good they are.

I think the situations should dictate what we do. If there's a break genuinely on, then go for it, but don't force the issue. I fear long balls over the top that just aren't on and cheap concession of possession. If we're under pressure, we should look to retain the ball, frustrate them and take the sting out. This is where Carrick, Giggs and Rooney are crucial in terms of composure on the ball and ball retention. If there's a genuine counter-attack on, then I honestly believe that Valencia, Hernandez and Rooney are as dangerous to them as Messi and co are to us.

The substitutes will have a big role to play if the game is still in the balance late on. Certain circumstances could see Scholes, Berbatov, Anderson or Nani really in their element.

It's a big ask, but we're capable and I think we'll be ready. We'll need the breaks too, but if we're disciplined and concentrate without the ball, and mature; positive and make the right decisons with the ball, we have a great chance.

Unread 27-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
'and the clocked stopped never to chime again when the old man died'
'There was an old man from kentucket'

Unread 27-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Big Norm

Talking Re: Team v Barca - The Official Thread

Quote:
Barcelona do have a tendency to tire/take their foot off the gas at points. It's virtually impossible to maintain the standard and tempo that they do for 90 minutes, but it's how much they crumble when their level drops that I think we can get at.

Arsenal beat them over 90 minutes, so there's nothing wrong with looking at how they did that. Yes, they rode their luck, but they were still in a position to win the game and did so. Barca were all over the place for 20 minutes and didn't have the fortitude to see it out. They did the same the previous year when they came down from 2 down to draw. Again, once the legs tired and the pressure came, they crumbled. Even in the supposedly impregnable Nou Camp, they shit themselves after the own goal and were Nicklas Bendtner controlling the ball properly away from being knocked out.
Madrid took the game to them in Nou Camp and got a draw and could've won the match. Also, once again, when they equalised, there was a short period where Barca were unnerved.

I may sound like I'm clutching at straws, but I think it's weakness, however small, and we should be looking to expose any weaknesses.

How we set up against Arsenal should be our template. Congest the midfield, crowd them out once they get into the final third, let them have it wide etc. The key, for me, is how we are once we get the ball. Our natural instinct is to counter-attack, but in doing so we risk giving the ball away and we might not see it again for a while. It then has the knock-on effect of being tiring and also saps confidence once we get the ball back again: Because we haven't had it any, we shit ourselves and give it straight back. It's what we do to smaller sides, so we need to be mature and confident enough to accept we'll have less of the ball, but play to our strengths when we do. That's the fine nature of the balance between doing our own thing, but also recognising how good they are.

I think the situations should dictate what we do. If there's a break genuinely on, then go for it, but don't force the issue. I fear long balls over the top that just aren't on and cheap concession of possession. If we're under pressure, we should look to retain the ball, frustrate them and take the sting out. This is where Carrick, Giggs and Rooney are crucial in terms of composure on the ball and ball retention. If there's a genuine counter-attack on, then I honestly believe that Valencia, Hernandez and Rooney are as dangerous to them as Messi and co are to us.

The substitutes will have a big role to play if the game is still in the balance late on. Certain circumstances could see Scholes, Berbatov, Anderson or Nani really in their element.

It's a big ask, but we're capable and I think we'll be ready. We'll need the breaks too, but if we're disciplined and concentrate without the ball, and mature; positive and make the right decisons with the ball, we have a great chance.
You took the words.....

Unread 27-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Crumps

If we have decent possession in the final third we will hurt them. Their back 4 is an accident waiting to happen.

Unread 27-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Baron

Quote:
Obvious, but difficult to do, so it really does need pointing out. I'll be very disappointed if we essentially shit ourselves with the ball.

As for the first 5 minutes.....I thought that in Rome.

I know. But different side, different approach... surely Fergie has to of learnt.

I'd be delighted if the first thing someone did was smash Messi with a legit tackle, & we pinged it around a few players going forward. Setting the tempo & showing ourselves not to be intimidated. Barca must think they're the cats pyjama's at the moment, World Cup winners though out their side, treble winners, 3rd league title on the bounce... over confidence can be exploited.

Unread 27-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Withers

--------Van Der Sar

Fabio Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Valencia Rafael Giggs Park

---------Rooney

---------Hernandez

Unread 27-05-2011, 12:01 PM
jem

when you look at a potential xi and 3 subs, there is no reason why we shouldn't whip them (even if they play well). we know how they will set up. if we play with confidence, positively and no stupid lunges or sleepy defending (ie avoid messi 1-on-1 with vidic), we have a pretty complete set of options. they don't. you can understand the media £#%&!athon over this uberarsenal, but it is time to pts this myth.

it would be horrible if we did the way we play arsenal. no glory without entertaining. thank god fletch isn't fit.

Unread 27-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs up Re: Team v Barca - The Official Thread

VDS

Raf - Fab - Raf - Fab

Raf - Fab - Raf - Fab

Rooney

Pea

Unread 27-05-2011, 12:21 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
--------Van Der Sar

Fabio Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Valencia Rafael Giggs Park

---------Rooney

---------Hernandez
Something there very obviously isn't going to happen, but there you go.

Unread 27-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
VDS

Raf - Fab - Raf - Fab

Raf - Fab - Raf - Fab

Rooney

Pea
We'll need O'Shea's height at right-back IMO.

Unread 27-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Can't believe how people think the dasilva twins could be central midfielders just because they have technical ability, let alone starting one of them for the first time in a European cup final vs barcelona.

Unread 27-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Tumescent Throb

stick both the twins on messi all game with licence to join in counter attack and set the rest up 3-5-0 with carrick as a screen and giggs, rooney not scholes and park in centre mid

VDS

Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Carrick

Valencia
Giggs
Rooney
Park

Carrick, Park and Evra cover the twins, including while fabio's in the box getting the winner

Unread 27-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Ginners

-----------------vds

--------------rio----vidic-----

rafael--------------------------evra

-------------carrick---giggs-----------

--valencia-------------------park--

-----------rooney----pea-----
Closed Thread