Closed Thread

Unread 13-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Neo

Default Re: Team for tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
bayern home last season, arsenal away this season

[SIZE="1"]barcelona in rome
What else could he have done in those games though?

The Bayern game went to shit after Rafael's red card. We were totally in control before that, bar conceding a goal completely against the run of play after a moment of sloppiness from Carrick. The red card changed it all. I'm not saying that they wouldn't have scored more, but we would have beaten them IMO if we didn't have to end up playing a lot of the second half with Nani up-front on his own.

The other two were just a case of the team not turning up. Arsenal away was understandable considering we'd just played in mid-week and they had a nice rest. Against Barca in Rome we made a good start, but then just lost our %@#$&!s for some reason.

I don't think team selection mattered in any of those games. Berbatov starting any of them certainly wouldn't have helped anyway.

Unread 13-05-2011, 08:06 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
What else could he have done in those games though?

The Bayern game went to shit after Rafael's red card. We were totally in control before that, bar conceding a goal completely against the run of play after a moment of sloppiness from Carrick. The red card changed it all. I'm not saying that they wouldn't have scored more, but we would have beaten them IMO if we didn't have to end up playing a lot of the second half with Nani up-front on his own.

The other two were just a case of the team not turning up. Arsenal away was understandable considering we'd just played in mid-week and they had a nice rest. Against Barca in Rome we made a good start, but then just lost our %@#$&!s for some reason.

I don't think team selection mattered in any of those games. Berbatov starting any of them certainly wouldn't have helped anyway.

Berbs starting at Arsenal would have made a difference we only started to threaten when he came on

Unread 13-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
Berbs starting at Arsenal would have made a difference we only started to threaten when he came on
True, he did look lively.

I just think we failed to get a grip on that game because Song did a job on Rooney, who was complaining of tiredness towards the end of the Schalke game.

If you take Rooney out of the equation Hernandez becomes relatively nonthreatening. That's my biggest worry about the Barca game - Busquets man-marking Rooney and keeping him out of the game. (If we go with Rooney in the hole, obviously).

Maybe Fergie could have gone with Berbatov from the start, but when people saw the team-sheet I can't remember much complaints. That game was mainly lost because Arsenal had a whole week off. Look at the difference it made to our first choice XI against Chelsea when Fergie chose to play most of the squad players against Schalke in the second leg. I just think people underestimate the advantage of having a weeks rest and are very quick to jump on the manager for supposed poor selections.

Unread 13-05-2011, 08:32 PM
red in cumbria

Yeah, but in that context the fact that Berbs was "rested" was a good argument for starting with him!

Unread 13-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yeah, but in that context the fact that Berbs was "rested" was a good argument for starting with him!
True, and with hindsight I would have liked him to have started as well, but Fergie went with the strike-force that 99% of Reds would have wanted. Fact is, Song had an excellent game for them and he could well have kept Berbs as quiet as he did Rooney.

I also think in terms of tactics we got what we deserved. We clearly went out there looking for a point. There was never any urgency from us until Ramsey scored. We were time wasting in the first half ffs.

Its not the United way to go looking for draws. Even when we need a point we should play to our strengths and attack teams, just like we did against Chelsea on Sunday, and hopefully against Blackburn tomorrow.

Unread 13-05-2011, 10:29 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
0-0 tomoz I reckon, bit like when we needed a point against Arse a couple of years ago. Both teams will be quite happy with a point, I think the game itself might be a bit of a borefest but I'm not remotely arsed if we get over the line.
I'll go for this and chuck into "world cup finals last group game both teams need a point to qualify" filing cabinet.

Unread 13-05-2011, 10:47 PM
gbmufc

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
yep....Anfield away for the last few years...and that's about it
Anfield 1 up front first half

Blackpool away 1 up front first half

West Ham away 1 up front first half

West Brom Gary Neville full back

Wouldnt swap him though
Closed Thread