Unread 25-11-2018, 12:07 AM
armchair

Default David Beckham was underrated and Real ripped us off

change my mind.

shocking to see he played in a team with zidane and the original ronaldo

and micheal owen.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:09 AM
Sparky***

his celebrity over shadowed what a great player he was. and he was great.

hardest working player i've seen in the shirt and the best crosser of a football of all time. no question.

30 assists in the treble season. absolute legend and 25m was a bargain for madrid.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:14 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

hardest working player i've seen in the shirt and the best crosser of a football of all time. no question.

30 assists in the treble season. absolute legend and 25m was a bargain for madrid.
i think it was ronaldo called his crosses "half goals"

all you had to do is have the ball hit you and it would be a goal

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:16 AM
andyroo

Quote:

Absolutely. But his celebrity was getting in the way by the time he went. Needed the change to refocus him.

Madrid robbed us absolutely blind though, even though the money was nothing like what it is now I still thought we should've got a lot more.

Great player though and pisses me off when people talk down his contribution.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:18 AM
TheKitchenSink

People remember him for his dead ball delivery and crossing ability, but his overall ball control was exceptional. Had more natural talent than people give him credit for imo.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:18 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
i think it was ronaldo called his crosses "half goals"

all you had to do is have the ball hit you and it would be a goal
as i say - it's a shame the showbiz crap overshadowed him as a player because he genuinely was great.

There was a cross he did for Nicky Butt to score in the 1996 charity shield against Newcastle where he £#%&!ing pings it, absolutely pin point like an exocet missile, laser guided. Amazing.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:20 AM
armchair

people think of him as some sort of metrosexual fop but the guy was a big time player

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:21 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
https://youtu.be/iiCB9Zu7C6Y

change my mind.

shocking to see he played in a team with zidane and the original ronaldo

and micheal owen.
Pretty sure the Daily Mirror quoted a post of mine on that other place saying pretty much the same.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:22 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
people think of him as some sort of metrosexual fop but the guy was a big time player

https://youtu.be/Fo5y3Ydyhtc
Was in a pub in harrow watching that when it went in... £#%&!ing hell it was carnage, blokes going over tables, jumping on the bar... one of the fruit machines went over as well. Chaos.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:23 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Was in a pub in harrow watching that when it went in... £#%&!ing hell it was carnage, blokes going over tables, jumping on the bar... one of the fruit machines went over as well. Chaos.
I was in one in Dublin, slightly different atmosphere

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:28 AM
armchair

Quote:
he had the same sort of winning mentality keane had. it was just less overt.

never had pace but had great workrate and stamina

99 was him believing

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:28 AM
Buck

Played with these lads too

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:29 AM
armchair

Quote:
the pressure of that situation. that's what people underestimate about the guy.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:29 AM
jem

Quote:
"may misjudges it totally." you don't hear that too often these days.

£#%&! me, as if we needed reminding of the polar £#%&!ing opposite of how we play now.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:31 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
the pressure of that situation. that's what people underestimate about the guy.
character. balls. Fergie didn't always get it spot on but one thing he was good at spotting was players with character and the personality to be great.

one thing about beckham is that he was immensely popular with his fellow pros wherever he has been. Nobody ever has a bad word to say about him, humble and above all extremely talented and hard working.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:34 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
"may misjudges it totally." you don't hear that too often these days.

£#%&! me, as if we needed reminding of the polar £#%&!ing opposite of how we play now.
from an alternate universe

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:35 AM
Buck

He had a beautiful first touch. Cushioned the ball dead even in the most difficult and awkward positions. It sounds simple but his game was made to look so effortlessly simple. I was hoping when the rumours were going about he would return to Europe during the MLS off-season that Fergie would bring him back.

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:35 AM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
I was at OT for that, quite enjoyed it at the time as I recall

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:37 AM
Fat Al

Quote:
Wonder how many of them were the ones pouring abuse on him in 1998 or wishing cancer on his kids at Euro 2000?

Unread 25-11-2018, 12:40 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Wonder how many of them were the ones pouring abuse on him in 1998 or wishing cancer on his kids at Euro 2000?
Dunno mate. Didn’t ask tbh.
Closed Thread