United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Fountz

Default General mutterings and observations from Saturday night.

Wish Scholes was 10 years younger ! ..once again showed his class.. albeit briefly... calmed everyone down and made sure his passes went to a white shirt. Both his and Rooney's passes are just on another level. No having to check a run, break stride or overstretch for the intended recipients.

God we'll miss him.. just hope we can eak another season out him.

Thought Rooney was superb, tireless. Great performance from Vidic aswell. It doesn't seem to be mentioned elsewhere but age looks to be catching up with Rio ! ..however Smalling looks a cracking purchase.

It'll be an interesting Summer. New Goalkeeper and one, possibly two class midfielders ?

Our warchest must be huge.

@#%&!s.

Unread 29-05-2011, 01:40 PM
red in cumbria

Default Re: General mutterings and observations from last night.

Why can't WE get the likes of Club Brugge, Malmo or St Etienne in a European Final??

The only observation that really counts, tbh

Unread 29-05-2011, 01:49 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Why can't WE get the likes of Club Brugge, Malmo or St Etienne in a European Final??

The only observation that really counts, tbh
because they're all shit?

Unread 29-05-2011, 01:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
because they're all shit?
Tell that to the Dippers, mate.

Jesus, what would have happened last night to that bunch of Aston Villa journeymen who somehow won it in '82??

Unread 29-05-2011, 01:57 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
It doesn't seem to mentioned elsewhere but age looks to be catching up with Rio ! ..however Smalling looks a cracking purchase.
that's why he was in my team ahead of rio.

I'm not sure it's age, but rio doesn't look fit and hasn't done in the league either. over the first yard, he has lost his quickness. he is way too young for that to be age, though.

Unread 29-05-2011, 02:21 PM
borsuk

i thought rio played well, covered well and put in some excellent tackles/blocks.

the problems were all in front and to the left of rio last night.

Unread 29-05-2011, 02:50 PM
naes_sean

I thought Rio Had a decent match.

Unread 29-05-2011, 02:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean
Indeed - jem being contrarian again, who'd have thunk it??

Unread 29-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean
He did. There was one tackle in particular in the first half that was superb, should have been a goal kick too.

Unread 29-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Fountz

Agree about Rio.. I thought he had a decent match. He made some brave "shit or bust" interceptions.. he just looks slow ( more a general observation than a judgement on last night )

Giggs looked on another planet last night. It'd be understandable if the events of the week had had an effect on him. Hernandez reminded me of Andy Cole at his most frustrating with his inability to haul his arse onside.

However, let's not forget, they were up against not neccesarily the best club side ever, but, a team, perhaps producuing one of the highest standards ever seen. Unfortunately for us ( and everyone else ) that is the new level.. the benchmark that we should aim meet if not surpass.

Unread 29-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

barca will dominate in europe for many years to come now
i think for the next few seasons the cl should be treat like the carling cup untill the barca squad splits up .
by then we could be on league title 24/25 which will be £#%&!ing ace .

Unread 29-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst_ Bucholst
barca will dominate in europe for many years to come now
Yeah, but they won't win it every year. Even this year they were a Bendtner sitter from going out to the Arse. The way they tend to sleepwalk through away legs will get them, as it did last season.

Unread 29-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Yeah, but they won't win it every year. Even this year they were a Bendtner sitter from going out to the Arse. The way they tend to sleepwalk through away legs will get them, as it did last season.
£#%&!ing hell, imagine if that had gone in. Barca out and just a bunch of very beatable teams left in.

Sigh.

Unread 30-05-2011, 12:37 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
£#%&!ing hell, imagine if that had gone in. Barca out and just a bunch of very beatable teams left in.

Sigh.
I made the point pre match, that they were very lucky to get past Chelsea in 09 as Didier Drogba would agree

Unread 30-05-2011, 02:04 AM
dunk

Just think, if they hadn't signed Zlatan and had gone for just about anyone else, they'd have had 3 in a row.

How in £#%&!s name can they make a monumental £#%&! up like that and get away with it?

Unread 30-05-2011, 02:06 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Indeed - jem being contrarian again, who'd have thunk it??
I didn't say he didn't have a good game, I said he hasn't looked fit.

Unread 30-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Google

Barca are beatable, we just happen to have a squad that are unable to cope with their midfield. If we had a fit hargreaves and fletcher then it would of been a different contest, those two chasing the ball around, actually putting in some tackles. That is the one thing that i just didn't understand about our performance, never once did i see a strong challenge go in to let the likes of iniesta or xavi know that someone was there and make them think. As soon as they received the ball they knew they didn't have to hurry. Shits me as i honestly thought we'd see us play like we did against bayern at old trafford last year where we harassed their midfield into mistakes, till the sending off we were dominating them. I'd like us to sign de rossi, can pass but also strong in defence, then an attacking midfielder who can run with the ball like kaka use to do for milan. Its going to be an interesting summer

Unread 30-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
Barca are beatable, we just happen to have a squad that are unable to cope with their midfield. If we had a fit hargreaves and fletcher then it would of been a different contest, those two chasing the ball around, actually putting in some tackles. That is the one thing that i just didn't understand about our performance, never once did i see a strong challenge go in to let the likes of iniesta or xavi know that someone was there and make them think. As soon as they received the ball they knew they didn't have to hurry. Shits me as i honestly thought we'd see us play like we did against bayern at old trafford last year where we harassed their midfield into mistakes, till the sending off we were dominating them. I'd like us to sign de rossi, can pass but also strong in defence, then an attacking midfielder who can run with the ball like kaka use to do for milan. Its going to be an interesting summer

Agree with a lot of that.

This general air of resignation is rather frustrating.. and the thought of waiting until the Barca squad splits up before we take the European Cup seriously is shameful.

First of all, it's our duty as a club to have a go,

..secondly, Saturday night may end up being Barcelona's high water mark. You never know !! ..Guardiola goes, a contract dispute, a new unsettling and disruptive face appears, personal issues rise to forefront, resentment (money !), injury to a key player... it doesn't take much to reduce the team's effectiveness by 5% or so..

..naturally we need to improve, but they may well come back to us.

Unread 30-05-2011, 10:18 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I think there is no doubt that we (and indeed, most other teams) have more chance against them over two legs.

It's an interesting contrast to our former nemesis, the Real Madrid team a decade ago. They definitely had the beating of us home and away but in a one-off game, I always thought we would have a chance. As 2002 might just have proved - that one still hurts like £#%&! and always will

Unread 30-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Sgt Howie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz

This general air of resignation is rather frustrating.. and the thought of waiting until the Barca squad splits up before we take the European Cup seriously is shameful.

First of all, it's our duty as a club to have a go,
we have to give it a go, yes.... but not give it priority.

It's not worth sacrificing points in league games prior to and after European games.... if the net result is that city end up pipping us to the title, and we are just subjected to another Barcelona exhibition match in another final
Closed Thread