United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Spock

Default Rooney central mid?

might have been discussed (but i aint see it) but a mate of mine talking about playing berb up front with tevez behind and rooney central mid? natural successor to scholes perhaps? surely better than having him out wide?

Unread 15-09-2008, 09:52 AM
red red robbo

I've always said he would make a better midfield play maker than a striker.

Unread 15-09-2008, 09:54 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

I thought about this a year or so ago but for me he gives the simple ball away to much. Yes he can play an outstanding through ball but he simple short range passing is certainly not at the level of scholes.

Unread 15-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Whalefish

If he's ever converted to a central midfielder it'll be when his passing improves.

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:00 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
If he's ever converted to a central midfielder it'll be when his passing improves.
See above post

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:15 AM
LaPaz

Would have thought Tevez would perform better in central MF

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:24 AM
antonin jablonsky

dunno about that, would wonder why we wouldn't play him off Berbatov. He looked like he could've had a great game on satdee if we hadn't completely marginalised him on the wing.

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:27 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
dunno about that, would wonder why we wouldn't play him off Berbatov. He looked like he could've had a great game on satdee if we hadn't completely marginalised him on the wing.
because there was a better player in the squad who can play off berbatov who also scored a great goal after linking up with berbatov.

the 3 year search for this 'elusive' best position for wayne rooney continues.

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:31 AM
puressence

yep ..plays his best game lastweek for england would have been full of confidance ..thne ferie sticks him on the £#%&!ing wing .with instructions of do not not move from there ..ferie wants £#%&!ing for his treatment of rooney

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Whalefish

Does Cathy not put out anymore?

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:35 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
yep ..plays his best game lastweek for england would have been full of confidance ..thne ferie sticks him on the £#%&!ing wing .with instructions of do not not move from there ..ferie wants £#%&!ing for his treatment of rooney
Just made no sense to me, he had him out of position as a rigid winger with Anderson out of position on the other side with a clearly struggling Carrick and Scholes in midfield. To be honest it only got better and marginally so when hargo came on.

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Gog Coch

Rooney or Tevez could take up the Scholes position with ease. But would they want to?

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog Coch
Rooney or Tevez could take up the Scholes position with ease. But would they want to?
if its a choice of that or "you're on the bench" then yes, i suspect so

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Gruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
the 3 year search for this 'elusive' best position for wayne rooney continues.
Perhaps a spell as a striker might be worth considering

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Part 36 Offer

Rooney is not a central midfield player.

Scholes will bounce back from this poor performance. The decision to play 3 strikers backfired imo.

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Qwertyuiop

He played CM against Blackburn a couple of years ago and was £#%&!

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:52 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Rooney is not a central midfield player.

Scholes will bounce back from this poor performance. The decision to play 3 strikers backfired imo.
No the decision to play 2 strikers, then another as a winger, then a central midfielder as a winger and then not react to it not working backfired. Don't understand why it couldn't just have been changed to play with a 3 up front and 3 in midfield? It would've suited all the players better and helped to actually show a midfield presence?

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:53 AM
marlo stansfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruber
Perhaps a spell as a striker might be worth considering
he has played as a striker for england and scored his first goal in almost a year last week.(a tap in at that)

rooney was played as a striker last season with tevez and tevez was easily the more dangerous player (taking up the right positions, scoring the goals strikers score,being in the right place at the right time, having the instant control and awareness etc)

dont blame saf for rooneys now apparant short comings.

how many times have you seen rooney picking up the ball in the lb position?
tacking oppositon strikers by OUR corner flag etc.?

yes he has 'passion' for the game but while doing all that you cant blame the management for sacrificing him when there are three strikers to go into two positions. the one who doesnt do his job as well as the others will get sacrificed.

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
No the decision to play 2 strikers, then another as a winger, then a central midfielder as a winger and then not react to it not working backfired. Don't understand why it couldn't just have been changed to play with a 3 up front and 3 in midfield? It would've suited all the players better and helped to actually show a midfield presence?
There was no balance whatsoever when Carrick went off.

Rooney was wasted on the right.

Unread 15-09-2008, 10:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
There was no balance whatsoever when Carrick went off.

Rooney was wasted on the right.
Absolutely and he looked to me like he was right up for it but we threw that away. Tactically I thought Fergie got pretty much every decision he made Saturday wrong.
Closed Thread